default header

Theory

First attempt at a 1cc...

Moderator: JC Denton

First attempt at a 1cc...

Unread postby moonside » 27 Jul 2007 15:49

Hey all, new poster here.

I've always been a fan of shmups, but after coming across the Arcade Culture article on this site I was inspired to actually try 1ccing something.Tthat first attempt led to a month of almost-daily Battle Garraga. It was fun, but I totally failed, reaching level 4 very rarely. I blame the auto-adjusting difficulty, as I don't have the patience/skill to figure out how to game the rank system yet.

Anyway, would anyone like to suggest a better game to attempt my first 1cc on? ESPRade and Donpach both look exciting...
moonside

Unread postby alpha5099 » 27 Jul 2007 23:36

Hi there. I haven't 1CC much, but I might have some hints.

Battle Garegga was probably an overly ambitious choice. Personally, I'd go with something in the Toaplan or Raiden vein, at least for me those are the shmups I'm best that. They tend not to be entirely memory driven, but they also don't go quite into bullet hell overdrive. That includes obviously Toaplan games (Fire Shark and Batsugun are my favorites; I can get pretty far in the Genesis port of FS and have beaten the first loop of Batsugun Special Version) and Raiden games, but also some similar stuff like Shienryu, Kyuukyoku Tiger II Plus, or Gekirindan. I also find older Psikyo games to be fairly manageable.

If you're looking for horizontal games, the Thunder Force games are fantastic and easy (at least 3 and 5 are; I suck at 4).

Sorry about all the Saturn games. That's my principle game system, so that's what I know best.
alpha5099

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jul 2007 23:51

Console shooters are by and large easier than arcade ones, for the reasons I explained in the article (i.e. no arcade operators). So you could start there. Harmful Park on the PS is an excellent and quite easy shooter, and Elemental Master on the Mega Drive is one of the easiest 1CCs around, though not exactly an awesome game.

For danmaku shooters (Cave, late-Raizing, etc.) you'll want to make sure you have a good arcade stick and at least a 25" tated screen, otherwise you'll have to be some sort of a gimp to stand a chance. The easiest Cave shooter is Espgaluda by the way.

As for Garegga:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=351

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby moonside » 13 Aug 2007 23:35

thanks guys.

i've abandoned battle garrega and will be working on claering donpachi & raiden .. they seem relatively friendly and accommodating after that beast.
moonside

Unread postby Molloy » 14 Aug 2007 00:23

It's far easier to 1cc something after you've seen how someone else does it too. Check www.superplay.co.uk for a Raiden replay.
Molloy

Unread postby Sear Me » 25 Jan 2008 10:05

Hi all :D

So far I tried to 1CC ESP.Ra.De and Progear because they're my favourite shooters, at least among the Cave titles that can be emulated on PC. But the best I can do is reach the 4th stage boss in both games (and it happened only a couple of times). Usually I die at 3rd stage boss or halfway through the 4th stage. I wonder if using savestates to practice the later stages would be a good idea or if it's better to stick with the one-credit rule...
Sear Me

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jan 2008 16:53

It is also important to realize that having a good arcade stick and a 29" tated CRT will make these games much easier.

Take that into account before you start cheating yourself out of the fun you could be having...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 26 Jan 2008 00:11

use bombs more!
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby Sear Me » 28 Jan 2008 12:33

icycalm wrote:It is also important to realize that having a good arcade stick and a 29" tated CRT will make these games much easier.

Take that into account before you start cheating yourself out of the fun you could be having...

I'm well aware of that, but I have no room for a second monitor near my PC. I'm thinking about getting a PS2 and a good arcade stick... what about this?

MAXCHAIN wrote:use bombs more!

Good advice. I often die with 1 or 2 bombs still in stock... I'll try to remember that panic bombing is better than dying! :D
Sear Me

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2008 20:01

Sear Me wrote:I'm well aware of that, but I have no room for a second monitor near my PC.

In that case I would advise you to play some other games until you solve this issue. That's what I do with PC games. If I can't play a game with full detail settings I just refrain from playing it until I upgrade my PC. Otherwise you are simply spoiling the games for yourself.

Also, the stick you linked sucks. Just get a Hori RAP.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 01 Feb 2008 14:35

I have one of those sticks. A friend of mine knocked orange or beer or something on it last year when we were playing SF2 though so it's just not been the same since. Opened it an cleaned it twice but it's still sticky. :(

The button placing on and angle on those Namco sticks are the best. Must keep an eye out for another one.
Molloy

Unread postby bullethell » 03 Feb 2008 16:27

I suggest DoDonpachi.
Im trying to 1CC and I know it will happen one of these days.
When Im away from home Im practicing it on the PSP.(and im always away from home the last 3 months and ill be for at least the next 5 months, greek army ftw..)
bullethell

Unread postby moonside » 04 Feb 2008 16:37

When Im away from home Im practicing it on the PSP

ok, congratulations, you've convinced me to buy a psp.
moonside

Unread postby Jedah » 04 Feb 2008 19:37

How can anyone play Dodonpachi using a Yoko 4.3" screen? Also if you choose Tate mode there is no way you can modify controls accordingly. Nevertheless send me please a pm of where to find this "PSP version" :D .
Jedah

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 04 Feb 2008 20:09

DDP has controls for a tate mode with yoko controls, like Ikaruga has. It works perfectly that way.
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby bullethell » 07 Feb 2008 05:05

ok, congratulations, you've convinced me to buy a psp.

Buy it.
Dodonpachi (PS emulation) and Progear (CPS2 emulation) are PSP-friendly.
And dont forget the Star Soldier (PSP) and Einhander (PS).PSP is the best handheld at the moment for outdoor shmupping.Trust me you will be happy.But only if you are often away from home.
bullethell

Unread postby CosMind » 09 Feb 2008 03:48

wouldn't it require tracking down an old psp, though?
or are the new (2000 models) still being cracked for emu?
CosMind

Unread postby bullethell » 09 Feb 2008 17:00

My PSP is a Slim one.Yeah you can, you only need the fat one just for its battery.
bullethell

Return to Theory