default header

Theory

Why I enjoy reviewing games

Moderator: JC Denton

Why I enjoy reviewing games

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2009 20:31

Because I can dispense with the gay sentimentality and just talk about how the darn game plays. Rules and mechanics and graphics and sound and nothing else.

Stuff like this, for example:

Roger Ebert wrote:You can't watch the movie without thinking that. And it is so brave, so exhausting, so giving of self, so willing to give voice to the Joker's pain, that it reached me deeply.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /901289995

has no place in game reviews, and as I will get around to explaining at some point, it never will.

And in fact, even in the case of The Dark Knight, stuff like that is inappropriate. I watched the darn movie. It's just an extremely well made comic book flick. I did not find it "brave". I did not find it "exhausting". And I certainly did not find it "so giving of self", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean!

But anyway. The Dark Knight aside, there ARE movies which deserve to be discussed using such language. Games though, never.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Vert1 » 30 Jan 2009 21:50

I agree with what you've said, but I still need to work some things out.

You feel bad (till you move on to the next character) for a certain character in Eternal Darkness whose pain you can actually see as he slowly ages/decays in real time. Mood can play a role in how we feel about games and how we play them (in survival horror games for example). I know when I turn on the lights after Resident Evil and walk outside, things don't feel the same as if I had just played Frogger or something.

So the question is: Is it not possible to somehow incorporate these personal experiences/feelings into game reviews in a relevant way?
Last edited by Vert1 on 21 May 2009 04:42, edited 11 times in total.
Vert1

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2009 22:16

Sigh...

Vert1 wrote:You feel bad for a certain character in Eternal Darkness

If you feel bad about a certain character in Eternal Darkness you need to stop being gay and grow the fuck up.

Vert1 wrote:Mood can play a role in how we feel about games and how we play them

Yes, but you don't have to be gay or retarded or intellectually stunted to go into a certain mood. Even normal, intelligent people experience moods.

Vert1 wrote:Is it not possible to somehow incorporate these personal experiences into reviews in a relevant way?

What a retarded question this is. Of course it "is possible" to incorporate personal experiences into reviews. In fact, it is not possible to do otherwise. That doesn't mean that you have to be gay or retarded or intellectually stunted about it.

Vert1 wrote:edit: How do you format spoiler messages here?

If you can't figure that out for yourself I'd like to ask you to stop posting in this forum.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Jan 2010 13:45

Continued from the (hidden) staff forum: http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?p=12105#12105

JoshF wrote:Anyway, I'm having fun writing reviews again. It's a much more pleasant process when I let perfectly adequate smaller words do their thing instead of racking my brain for the most pretentious way of saying something.

Yes, reviews really should be written like extended forum posts. It might even help you to write your entire review in a forum "post box". Try it out! Your Buster impressions, for example, could have easily been turned into a review that way.

That is not to say that profound-sounding sentences have no place in game reviews. Striking a pose (by means of three-syllable words and complex sentence structures, etc.) can occasionally be justified, but it should come about naturally. It is only when you feel the words coming to you that you should use them (a great example being the last sentence of your Shatterhand review) -- you should never go looking for the words. Because to the reader, at least to the experienced reader, it is always obvious when the writer has had to look for the words, and in such cases the effect is exactly the opposite of what the writer had desired: he immediately loses all credibility and creates a comic impression. He appears ridiculous.

This is one case. The other case is of those reviewers to whom the words do indeed come naturally, because they are relatively experienced in the handling of words, but who still appear ridiculous because the concepts these words are meant to designate are far plainer and simpler than the words and sentence structures used to do so. This is the case with people like Kierron Gillen and Tim Rogers. The poorest, most feeble and pathetic analysis, pseudo-analysis really, clothed in the kind of language one would be embarrased to use even when discussing, say, a great movie.

The extent to which you are allowed to strike a pose, basically, is determined by the kind of game you are reviewing. In a review of a Spacewar or a Civilization or a Street Fighter II or a Tekki, certain amount of profundity is not only allowable, but downright necessary (assuming, of course, that you are capable of providing it -- because if you are not you are still better off staying away from it altogether). But when you are reviewing the latest little game where a little ship shoots little yellow dots at another ship, there are hardly ever such opportunities.

This, at any rate, is the advice I would give to aspiring game reviewers after struggling with the form for several years. It used to be that reviews would take me a week, exactly because I would rack my brains to find the most pretentious way to say everything. Now I can do small ones in like an hour, and stuff like the GTAIV review in about 5-6 hours. And, like you, I am enjoying myself tremendously. It's really fun dissecting stuff. Basically, for me a review is a way of being done with a game. It's the last thing I do after I put the game back on the shelf.

So yeah, I'll try to match you from now on review for review. Next up: Ketsui Death Label. I have a lot to say about this game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zinger » 08 Jan 2010 14:25

icycalm wrote:It might even help you to write your entire review in a forum "post box". Try it out!

I always do that actually. Using Open Office, all of my reviews are doomed as soon as I start writing them.
zinger

Unread postby Doctor Fugue » 09 Jan 2010 14:21

I am glad to see the renewed enthusiasm for writing reviews. I have enjoyed reading them over the past month, and I am especially looking forward to reading about Ketsui Death Label.

I have not written anything in quite a while, but perhaps if I have the time I would like to write a new review and submit it for approval.

Do you still plan on adding to the one-minute reviews? I quite like them.
Doctor Fugue

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jan 2010 14:50

As far as I am concerned, I never lost my enthusiasm for writing reviews. But I have three goddamn books to finish, so I had to cut down on my other writing activities, otherwise they'd never get done. If not for the books I would have written a couple dozen reviews in the last month or two alone.

As for the one-minute reviews: the reason that section has stalled is because I am planning on adding a CMS system so that we can update them one by one and not have to create the pages by hand. Josh and zinger have in fact written a bunch of new ones, but I am holding them in reserve until I set up the new system, which I will do after the first book is out. So at some point there will be a flood of one-minute reviews, because I also have two-three dozen in my head right now.

Doctor Fugue wrote:I have not written anything in quite a while, but perhaps if I have the time I would like to write a new review and submit it for approval.

I've added you the staff usergroup. Just post your review there in a new thread when it's done.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory