default header

Theory

On Competitive Play

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby NegativeSum » 08 Jul 2009 21:21

Yeah, if his blog post and the ensuing conversation are to be believed, City Of Heroes/Villains players are mad at this guy for engaging in PvP activity in a PvP zone. That's astonishingly pathetic even by MMO standards.
NegativeSum

Unread postby jpunshon » 12 Jul 2009 14:11

icycalm wrote:No one is "sacrificing" anything, retard. THESE ARE VIDEOGAMES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. PEOPLE PLAY THEM BECAUSE THEY ENJOY THEM -- NO ONE IS SACRIFICING THEIR TIME -- THEY ARE ENJOYING THEMSELVES FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

I am not looking to argue, but I would like to hear your thoughts on where pro-gaming fits into this, for example the professional Starcraft scene in Korea, where gaming is their full time job, with no time for school, friends and so on. As a consequence of their dedication in their late teens and early twenties, some players see no way back to being "normal", getting a regular job and education. So, they keep playing year after year, even when their hands slow down and they can no longer truly be competitive at the highest level. I guess some enjoy themselves, but old school players like Lee Yoon Yeol have said they no longer "enjoy" the game, it is just a job to them.
jpunshon

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jul 2009 22:24

jpunshon wrote:I am not looking to argue

Then don't. Come back when you are looking to argue.

As for this fagotry:

jpunshon wrote:but I would like to hear your thoughts on where pro-gaming fits into this, for example the professional Starcraft scene in Korea, where gaming is their full time job, with no time for school, friends and so on. As a consequence of their dedication in their late teens and early twenties, some players see no way back to being "normal", getting a regular job and education. So, they keep playing year after year, even when their hands slow down and they can no longer truly be competitive at the highest level. I guess some enjoy themselves, but old school players like Lee Yoon Yeol have said they no longer "enjoy" the game, it is just a job to them.

You are probably the kind of person who gets all his facts about the world from internet videogame forums. KOREANS DO THIS AND THAT AND THEY ARE SO WILD AND CRAZY!!!!!!

AND OH LEE YOON HOM KIM NO LONGER ENJOYS THE GAME AND MICHAEL JORDAN GOT BURNED OUT AND OHMIGOD WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE GLOBAL ECONOMY, PLEASE ANSWER ME ICYCALM BECAUSE THIS SHIT IS SO FUCKING COMPLICATED.

One more stupid post and you are banned.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby bullethell » 13 Jul 2009 05:38

Starcraft players in Korea are nothing compared to Lineage 2 players in early 2004 in the same country. We talk about an addiction with no barriers. Where 14-18 daily gaming marathons are a reality. Note that the latest MMOG of the same company (NCSoft) that created the Lineage games, Aion, has a game system (called pneuma system) to reduce gaming addiction. Korean goverment forced the programmers to include it in the game's code. According to the system, if the gamer plays Aion for more than 3 consecutive hours, his Pneuma from Rest will start to reduce. When it reaches zero, the experience points obtained by the player as well as his item drop rate will reduce 30%, and in addition during PvP (Player Versus Player) his damage to the opponent will reduce as well. But if the player takes a rest for three hours, his Pneuma will recover 100% and then everything will return to normal. Note that a similar fatigue system has been adopted in Korean WOW.
bullethell

Previous

Return to Theory