default header

Theory

Gaming Lingo

Moderator: JC Denton

Gaming Lingo

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2010 14:43

http://rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=220190

Napole0n wrote:My gaming hours have gone down considerably over the last years due to a combination of spreading time across other interests, married life with children, work, etc. Still, I consider myself to be pretty much 'in the know'. I track most major releases, play the games I find interesting (although too often not to completion) and follow what's going on. Still, confronted with posts like this, I sometimes wonder if it isn't time to just reinvent myself as casual and keep to EA releases and Wii Fit or something. Is it just me or is this completely uncomprehensible lingo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Modern Warfare 2:
I prestiged for the first time, after about 3.5 days. I only recently got into Domination for levelling up, had been almost exclusively playing mTDM and FFA before that. The chicken sound made me do it! I haven't played a game since, it was the last thing I did last night.

I also noticed my first set of Nuke boosters and went on the hunt. Another great reason to use Ninja! I spoiled their antics three times in the match on Estate and got a few tactical insertion kills to boot. They still won the round overall but no nuke! Ultra satisfying.

I don't have sound in work but what's going on with that shotgun across the map video? Is it a hack or is he using a specific set of perks/attachments?

Bayonetta:
- The powerful technique known as dodge offset lets you perform a partial string, interrupt it with up to four dodges, then resume it where you left off. And you can do this once for every attack in a string except the first (so if you have a six-hit string, that's five potential dodge offsets). The panther transformation and taunting also bear this offset effect, the former being especially useful because you can remain in panther form indefinitely. As if delaying attacks weren't useful enough, you can also use dodges or the panther to skip moves in strings. So if you want to do the powerful Wicked Weave finisher of PKP without the first two hits, you input P then immediately dodge, K then immediately dodge, P. This will produce two evasive flips that smoothly transition into a Wicked Weave.

Kropotkin wrote:No, you're fine. I too have read both of these passages and have deemed them to be gibberish. I can get the gist of what they are talking about, but agree that these are the ramblings of folk who have spent a great deal of time playing these games to the point where they have invented their own terminology for how to play it. Scary really.

As for turning yourself into a 'casual gamer' and limiting yourself to 30 minute bouts of Wii-fit, I really wouldn't fret about such a possibility. You're still a gamer at heart, you know what MW2 and Bayonetta are at the very least, and that makes you a cut above those who think playing Mine Sweeper during their lunch break at work is the extent of their video game exposure.

Nayson wrote:To be honest, if you play a game then you pick up the lingo. If you dont, you dont. It's nothing to do with age or lifestyle, is it?

Exactly. So stop whining you fucking fagots.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory