default header

Theory

Genres

Moderator: JC Denton

Genres

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Mar 2010 16:08

The purpose of this thread is to list all genres, pick the most appropriate designation for each one of them, and define them. This will in turn allow us to compile chronologies of each genre, which will be extremely useful both in regards to theory and criticism.

With regard to theory, the main purpose of this entire project is to serve as a practical demonstration that the artfags' concept of a "genre-less game" is absurd, by showing that every single game ever can be more or less neatly inserted into a genre, and that exceptions to this rule (the "less" in the "more or less") do nothing more than create new genres, which are sometimes followed up (if this new genre is found to be enjoyable and worthwhile), and other times not (if this new genre either outright sucks, or is perhaps not good enough to serve as anything more than a momentary diversion; a one-off experiment that is enjoyable more on account of its difference and exoticism than its intrinsic qualities).

So this whole project will serve, first and foremost, as the practical demonstration of the above proposition -- i.e. a "proof" by brute force for the benefit of idiots who have the analytical skills of frogs -- whilst the theoretical explanation, which is all that intelligent people really require, will be provided in my essays.

Apart from that, the benefit for criticism of these definitions, and of the resulting chronologies, is that they will allow the prospective reviewer a quick glance at the history of a genre, thus helping him quickly home in on predecessors, contemporaries and successors to the game he is reviewing. And this, of course, is extremely useful because it will help him visualize the context and make the connections on which every good game review is based.

So, I've so far defined three genres and done chronologies for two of them:

GUN SHOOTING
Subgenre of the on-rails shooting genre in which the player fires his avatar's weapon by pointing at the screen an input device typically modeled on a ballistic weapon.

FIRST-PERSON SHOOTING
Subgenre of the first-person action genre in which most of the action consists in shooting.

SRPG (TURN-BASED)
Subgenre of the turn-based tactics genre in which the player controls, among perhaps other units, several unique characters who persist and level throughout the game.

Still working on the FPS chronology -- it's getting pretty damn sizeable by this point.

This thread then is for people to contribute and discuss definitions, and also to volunteer to do chronologies. The main thing if you undertake to do a chronology is to commit to getting it to at least a 70% or 80% state within a reasonable amount of time (say three-four weeks or so maximum -- though some of the minor genres, like for example roguelikes, can be done in a couple of hours...) -- i.e. no half-assed jobs. Once you get it to the 70 or 80% point (or even further if you prefer), by working at it in a dedicated thread, I will come in, recheck all the info, and make the appropriate archive page and link it with all the others. After that there is no commitment to keep the page updated with new titles and corrections -- I can take care of that myself -- except if you actually want to, and for however long you continue to do so.

Alternatively, I can do all of them myself, though it will probably take several months if not longer. I find it to be an enjoyable little side-hobby though, so I don't really care. I am just giving an opportunity to people to join in the fun.

(It goes without saying, by the way, that you should not undertake chronologies of genres which you know nothing or very little about. Pick your favorite genres instead. This is why it would be nice to get someone to do MMORPGs and rhythm games, because they are the only genres I can't fucking stand.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Mar 2010 16:14

This post reserved for listing all definitions.

GUN SHOOTING
Subgenre of the on-rails shooting genre in which the player fires his avatar's weapon by pointing at the screen an input device typically modeled on a ballistic weapon.

FIRST-PERSON SHOOTING
Subgenre of the first-person action genre in which most of the action consists in shooting.

SRPG (TURN-BASED)
Subgenre of the turn-based tactics genre in which the player controls, among perhaps other units, several unique characters who persist and level throughout the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory