default header

Theory

On Mane Streems and Niches

Moderator: JC Denton

On Mane Streems and Niches

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2012 00:54

Unbelievable:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=256293

Edge Magazine wrote:Mainstream Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda:The Skyward Sword (2nd: Dark Souls, 3rd: The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim)

Indie Game of the Year - SpaceChem (2nd: Bastion, 3rd: Triple Town)

And that, dear friends, is how the disabled finally manage to stand on the podium, knee to shoulder with the giants.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2012 00:59

Which is to say, they create a word and then they stand on it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby SriK » 05 Jan 2012 02:50

From what I've played of it so far, SpaceChem is by no means an "indie" game; it's a complex, cutting-edge puzzle game. It should be competing with the real puzzle games released this year, not languishing in the Special Olympics with stuff like Bastion or Triple Town (Facebook game, yes, this is true independence.) I really wish these developers would realize that segregating themselves into imaginary categories isn't only damaging to high-profile games but also to people like Tarn Adams, Mode 7 Games, and Zachtronics (i.e. small developers like themselves, if they actually manage to create something decent.)
SriK

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2012 05:10

Yes, it is damaging them, but not in the way you understand it. In the way you understand it is helping them, because now their little irrelevant puzzle game gets to be called "best game of the year", and attract a lot more attention than it otherwise would. Compare that to what would happen if things were working my way, in which THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL A GODDAMN PUZZLE GAME WOULD STAND A CHANCE OF GOING ANYWHERE NEAR AN ALL-GENRE LIST IN THE 21ST CENTURY. Even the worst free-roaming game, or FPS or whatever, is more worthy of attention in the year 2011 than even the best puzzle game, because the free-roaming or FPS genres tower immeasurably higher in the order of rank of genres than goddamn puzzle games, WHICH WERE BORING EVEN TWENTY YEARS AGO LET ALONE NOW.

A puzzle game, lol. I'd rather be watching movies. I googled a two-minute trailer of that game and didn't even manage to watch it all the way through. I'd rather vote a goddamn MOVIE as "game of the year" than a fucking puzzle game. Which goes to show how far all these people have gone in losing their passion and instinct for the artform. Their entire list is ludicrous anyway -- every single goddamn entry on it -- but worse than even the insult of slapping the "Mane Streem" label on the real games, is that their goddamn list NO LONGER HAS A "BEST GAME" CATEGORY AT ALL. AND THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THESE LISTS -- TO HIGHLIGHT THE GODDAMN BEST GAME. AND NOW THERE'S NONE, AND NO ONE HAS THE TINY REQUIRED AMOUNT OF BRAINPOWER ANY LONGER TO TAKE NOTICE OF THIS FACT.

Zelda and a puzzle game, lol. Best games of 2011, lol. It's hard to even believe that they actually believe this shit.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 May 2012 22:52

http://fr.eonline.com/news/avengers_att ... tic/313695

In response to one Scott defender who reminded Jackson that just because a movie makes money doesn't mean it's any good, the biggest box-office star of all time tweeted, "Actually, sometimes IT DOES!"

Cool dude. He'd have gotten my article right away.

And Avengers is a solid four-star movie, by the way. That A.O. Scott moron is just a degenerate weakling pseudo-intellectual.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory