default header

Games

[AC] Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III

Unread postby Macaw » 30 Jul 2007 09:28

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/ac/warriorblade/review.php

I've recently been playing this a fair bit, hadn't given it too much of a chance in the past. I was surprised just how much more respect I got for the game after playing it much more, and after reading your review of it I'm not sure you have fully experienced everything the game has to offer either.

First of, are you aware of the 'bad fortune' stages that can be triggered in the game? Each of the 4 main stages has a secret extra entire stage to them, I'm not sure exactly how they are triggered but there is an option in the dip switches to just always have them appear. Its quite a big deal considering there are essentially double the amount of stages and bosses in the game than what most people have seen, and they are awesome stages and bosses too.

Also, you mention in the review how bad Rastan is to use. Actually, he is by far the easiest character to clear the game with. I'm sure you realized how much the rank increases after completing one of the selectable stages, and by about stage 2 it almost becomes totally unmanageable with the hordes of enemies you have to fight (of course you can run past them, but that doesn't lead to a high score) The trick to the combat is the jump canceling, basically a jump cancels any move and is the only viable way to dodge the attacks from hordes of enemies around you. The only way to survive therefore is to have really good reflexes and constantly be jumping around avoiding attacks whenever an enemy with a long range weapon is lined up with you. The only way I learnt all this is from watching a superplay, before that I couldn't get barely anywhere in the game and didn't see how it was even possible to survive the ranked-up stages.

Another thing that strikes me about the game is how its presented and the story elements. The German voice acting is a awesome touch (and some of the bosses voices sound totally awesome)

I was overcome with curiosity about some of the bizzare boss names, so I googled them to see if they actually meant anything. Turns out that 'Pas de Deux', the name of the skeleton boss, means this http://www.the-ballet.com/pdd.php Quite clever considering the boss is 2 skeleton heads that join together when the body gets created. Another boss in one of the 'bad fortune' stages is a mirror image of your character that you have to fight and is called 'Dunamis Noesis' and I found this http://members.aol.com/phuseos/arinotes.htm
Basically in philosophy, it seems Dunamis is potency, and Noesis is the act of understanding understanding itself. I have no idea how a bunch of Japanese dudes could know about such obscure western words.

Also one thing that sticks out for me in the story is the purpose of Mahadidekaradi (the green wizard that helps you) The attract mode says that he is evil and the strongest being of all time, and its unknown why he helps Rastan. By the end of the game though its still unknown what his purpose was, and it just shows you him standing by himself on a tower at night in the ending (I always get a shiver up my spine whenever I see this scene for some reason) Theres also a part in one of the 'bad fortune' stages where your character gets caught by the enemies and locked in a prison cell, and then Mahadidekaradi comes and rescues your character from the cell then disappears.

Anyways thats all I have to say for now.
Macaw

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jul 2007 23:15

It's been a while since I played this!

Macaw, I think -- and correct me if I am wrong -- that your main problem with my review is that I gave the game three stars. Looking at the mini-reviews you've done for this site so far, I suspect that the following formula holds more or less true:

(icycalm score) + 1 star = (Macaw score)

Keep in mind that when I give a game three stars it doesn't mean that it's an "average game" -- whatever that's supposed to mean. It means that I liked it and enjoyed, but not so much as to give it four or five stars. Getting back on-topic, if Bare Knuckle is a five-star brawler (because everything about the game is pretty fucking perfect) and The Punisher a four-star brawler (because the latter stages are quite bland and the music sucks), then I am forced to give Warrior Blade three stars for all the reasons -- and there were many -- which I detailed in the review. Because whatever Warrior Blade's merits may be, it's no Punisher, and it sure as hell is no Bare Knuckle.

When reviewing games I try to be two things: honest and unmerciful. Honesty you have; what I think you need is a good dose of unmercifulness.

Macaw wrote:First of, are you aware of the 'bad fortune' stages that can be triggered in the game? Each of the 4 main stages has a secret extra entire stage to them, I'm not sure exactly how they are triggered but there is an option in the dip switches to just always have them appear. Its quite a big deal considering there are essentially double the amount of stages and bosses in the game than what most people have seen, and they are awesome stages and bosses too.

This is interesting. I've played the game quite a lot so I am sure I must have stumbled on these stages at least a few times, but I can't quite remember. I think I'll go back and replay it to check this out, and perhaps even make a high-score thread about it. You should go ahead and make one first!

Macaw wrote:Also, you mention in the review how bad Rastan is to use. Actually, he is by far the easiest character to clear the game with.

Perhaps. But I still hate using him, what with his animation being so awkward...

Macaw wrote:I'm sure you realized how much the rank increases after completing one of the selectable stages, and by about stage 2 it almost becomes totally unmanageable with the hordes of enemies you have to fight

That's not rank. The difficulty increases not because you are doing good (which is what rank is) but because you are simply progressing. It increases by the same amount regardless of how well you are doing. If this game does include rank -- as many arcade games do -- then its effects are negligible.

Macaw wrote:The only way to survive therefore is to have really good reflexes and constantly be jumping around avoiding attacks whenever an enemy with a long range weapon is lined up with you. The only way I learnt all this is from watching a superplay, before that I couldn't get barely anywhere in the game and didn't see how it was even possible to survive the ranked-up stages.

This somehow doesn't sound like a lot of fun!

Also, the details you discovered are pretty cool but please make sure you keep your posts spoiler-free in future, or do something to warn people beforehand (I am specifically talking about the point where you gave away the game's ending).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Macaw » 31 Jul 2007 10:15

icycalm wrote:(icycalm score) + 1 star = (Macaw score)

Haha, your probably right about that! However, I don't have a problem with the review or the fact you gave it 3 stars - I would have probably given it the same myself. I was mostly just unsure if you had seen all the hidden stages, which is an easy thing to miss but ultimately quite an important and huge part of the game.

icycalm wrote:and perhaps even make a high-score thread about it. You should go ahead and make one first!

Good idea.

icycalm wrote:That's not rank. The difficulty increases not because you are doing good (which is what rank is) but because you are simply progressing. It increases by the same amount regardless of how well you are doing. If this game does include rank -- as many arcade games do -- then its effects are negligible.

Yeah thats what I meant, perhaps rank was the wrong word.

icycalm wrote:This somehow doesn't sound like a lot of fun!

It isn't, but thats mainly due to the fact the combat in the game is dull and boring anyway. It can be satisfying at times, but for the most part the game keeps me playing due to all the awesome elements, like the ones I mentioned in my opening post.

icycalm wrote:Also, the details you discovered are pretty cool but please make sure you keep your posts spoiler-free in future, or do something to warn people beforehand (I am specifically talking about the point where you gave away the game's ending).

I didn't think it was too bad considering I only mentioned the part with the wizard, but I will be more carefull in the future.
Macaw

Unread postby Macaw » 01 Aug 2007 14:02

By the way, did you ever come across a dedicated cabinet of this in your time in Japan? I'de imagine it would be quite a sight, along with Ninja Warriors and Darius 1 and 2 machines. I hear Warrior Blade is by far the rarest of all Taito multi-screen cabs though.
Macaw

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Aug 2007 02:45

I've only seen the first Darius. But I will go looking for the others in future trips. The plan is to take pics/videos and review the games...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 06 Jan 2008 01:38

Warrior Blade delivers a huge playing field, ideally suited to the two-player gameplay brawlers are best known for.

Just found this, figured you might want to change it. :lol:
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Jan 2008 01:45

I don't know what you are talking about, you are not my real father.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games