default header

Games

[XB] Tekki

Moderator: JC Denton

[XB] Tekki

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Dec 2008 01:40

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/xbox/tekki/

Some reviewers have criticized the game for being too pre-scripted, too linear and having poor AI. That after completing the first set of missions the others become repetitive. They are missing the point.

Tekki works on an entirely different mental and emotional level than other videogames. The fear is palpable as you progress through the game thanks to the saving feature. It is this, and not the controller, that makes it so chillingly realistic: without the fear of death, the possibility of the save game being erased, Tekki would have been one tenth the game it is now. It is because of this reason that it could only have worked as well as it does being pre-scripted, as opposed to non-linear with adaptive enemy positioning and AI. The game would have been rendered unplayable if the missions had any kind of randomization in them. On later missions, which are tough enough anyway, the possibility of encountering a rogue Behemoth or hidden Jaralacc would have been simply too terrifying for all but the most battle hardened pilot. There is a point in gaming where realism must be left behind, where the limits cannot be pushed further or the game would lose all elements of enjoyment. While Tekki puts us in as real a situation as possible, that genuinely makes us fearful of our own demise, to go any further would be to cross the boundary. Imagine if the attack chopper convoy from mission twelve suddenly swooped in whilst trying to destroy the battleship because it had called for reinforcements. Or if light enemy VTs could be sent in via an aerial drop at a moment's notice. Already frayed nerves would snap under such unpredictable tension. Even with enemy layouts memorized some players have trouble focusing, since at the back of their mind are they thinking ‘what if I don’t make it back after this mission?’ Mission nine (the one I was relegated on), has a slight degree of randomized elements, with the position of the enemy occasionally changing and even higher level mechs showing up randomly. This can frustrate; since enemies are not where one expects them to be, the mission becomes frantic as you run around wildly taking damage trying to find them, only to be taken out by a Behemoth that has suddenly appeared, or a Regal Dress that didn’t show up on radar.

I really loved this review, but the reasoning in the above passage is deeply flawed. John rightly praises the hell out of the game for erasing his saved data, thus heightening suspense and excitement; but he defends the lack of randomized elements, which, if included, would have heightened the suspense and the excitement even further.

His excuse: randomized elements would have made the game TOO hard.
My reply: well then balance that by giving the player more hit points or some shit.

It really is as simple as that. And the game would have had even more suspense than it does, as well as lend itself better to repeated plays caused by multiple deaths, without being any harder.

Oh well.

PS. Note that I haven't played the game yet. My criticism of the review is based entirely on game design principles.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Bigode » 14 Dec 2008 15:58

(I haven't played the game yet too. I played some videogames with permadeath, but all of them weren't even near that length. I'm very interested in playing it, though, because I can imagine how it can be that good. Also sorry for "bad english")

Well, giving you more hit points will make the game easier. The excitement from this game comes directly from your fear of losing all your fifty hours of progress, so EVERY hit point matters.

Tekki isn't short. I do not know if it was the producer's or publisher's decision, or the original's designer intent to make an awfully long game, and that doesn't matter. And it is mission based too. But the permadeath will affect the entire 50 hour campaign, not just the 1 hour mission.
So the game needs to be FAIR. How to be HARD (Broken against you) and FAIR?

Also, I assume, like other mecha games, that there's some customization of the player's vehicle. Some strategies adequated to that mission may work better with a faster mecha, or that weapon, or something like that. If you randomize the enemies, paranoia will destroy that aspect of the game. The player will prefer a generic mecha that is equipped to handle all strategies (and all enemies) well, to a specialized mecha.
Bigode

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Dec 2008 22:12

I deleted more than half of your post because it was nonsense. Some shit about how Tekki is NOT an arcade game (thanks for the tip!), and some other Wikipedia-like shit about NetHack, which you made no effort to connect with Tekki or the present discussion. And to top it all off you also had an attitude problem.

So. Lose the attitude and try to think before you post. This is your last warning.

Bigode wrote:Well, giving you more hit points will make the game easier.

I said "well then balance that by giving the player more hit points or some shit." Notice the "or some shit", which signals the fact that I don't care HOW you balance the game, as long as you do. There is absolutely no reason why a game of this kind should require prior knowledge of a mission in order to successfully complete it.

Bigode wrote:The excitement from this game comes directly from your fear of losing all your fifty hours of progress, so EVERY hit point matters.

Of course every hit point matters. Every hit point matters in EVERY game -- except perhaps in JRPGs. You are not saying anything here.

Bigode wrote:Tekki isn't short. I do not know if it was the producer's or publisher's decision, or the original's designer intent to make an awfully long game, and that doesn't matter.

You have no business commenting on a game's length without having played it. "Short" and "long" are relative terms. If a game is fun long may seem short, and if it is boring short may seem long.

And it is mission based too. But the permadeath will affect the entire 50 hour campaign, not just the 1 hour mission. So the game needs to be FAIR. How to be HARD (Broken against you) and FAIR?

You seem to think that using capital letters will make up for lack of an argument. You also seem to think that Hard=Broken against you. I have no idea where you got this stupid idea from, but it is stupid. It is so stupid that I would feel stupid myself if I tried to explain to you why it is stupid. Let's just forget that you said it then.

Also, I assume, like other mecha games, that there's some customization of the player's vehicle. Some strategies adequated to that mission may work better with a faster mecha, or that weapon, or something like that.

That's just bad design. There should be enough intelligence before a mission to tell the player what gear would be more useful -- just like in real wars.

If you randomize the enemies, paranoia will destroy that aspect of the game. The player will prefer a generic mecha that is equipped to handle all strategies (and all enemies) well, to a specialized mecha.

Paranoia is good. If you randomize the missions the player will need to do more training and take less chances. And preferring a generic mecha equipped to handle everything sounds like a good idea.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Volteccer_Jack » 15 Dec 2008 00:20

He was trying to say that Nethack's lategame sucked because it was random. I.e., players create generic, overpowered characters rather than specialize in anything and risk getting ambushed. He was trying to draw a parallel between this and Tekki, talking about a "generic mecha that is equipped to handle all strategies". The problem is that the logic doesn't apply in a mission-based environment, and is a tenuous argument even when applied to Nethack.

First of all, Tekki is mission-based, meaning that the player knows his equipment will only have to last him a set period of time. Even with inadequate equipment for a particular situation, a skilled player can usually get by for at least a little while, provided he has some of the proper equipment. And "a little while" could easily be just enough to reach the checkpoint or whatever. In Nethack, short of setting up makeshift bases at Minetown, the Castle, and one or two other spots, the player can't expect to be able to take a break to refill on holy waters or wands of teleportation, and in the lategame, should expect NOT to get any breaks. If your equipment will only last you "a little while", you should expect to be dead in another "little while".

The other thing is that randomization doesn't even prevent you from specializing in Nethack. One can feasibly get through the game with practically none of the list of abilities/items that they call an "ascension kit". As long as you have a handful of them, you can make do, even in the final stages. A skilled player could make it through Gehennom with nothing more than a silver weapon, some wands, and a source of magic resistance. Hell, I did that with one of the weakest classes, the archeologist, and I made it to the last major demon before I got overconfident and choked to death from overeating.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill
Volteccer_Jack

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Dec 2008 00:29

Oh, wow. You are now the official Bigode post interpreter.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games