default header

Games

[GC] [X360] Super Robot Taisen GC / XO

Moderator: JC Denton

[GC] [X360] Super Robot Taisen GC / XO

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2009 02:00

http://www.suparobo.jp/srw_lineup/srw_gc/
http://www.suparobo.jp/srw_lineup/srw_xo/

Cacophanus finished the 360 port (XO), and posted his (spoilerific) impressions on IC:

Cacophanus wrote:Now that probably sounds a bit mundane but allow me to explain a few things...

XO does deviate from GC quite a bit towards the end. There are more missions and, as far as I can see, a different final stage.

XO is also a little different than most SRWs, for instance you have limbs that can be damaged and even destroyed (resulting in lack of mobility or an inability to aim at targets properly). Unless you use your support units carefully, you can end up in trouble quite quickly (much more so than the newer games).

Anyway, so I got to stage 59 and realised this must be the final level. By this point I had a troupe of bastard hard super robots and a few ninja reals all ready to do some high fiving pwning action. Turned out that they couldn't shoot straight and I ended up having to use a lot of seishin on the (surprisingly tough) grunts.

Then the stupid Banpresto Evil Lady appears, who has been thwarting me throughout the game. I barely have enough seishin left but I take her out, despite a rather nasty map attack taking me by surprise.

Now, by this point I know that the "real" boss appears in most SRWs and that he'll probably regenerate once or maybe even twice before I get to show him the business end of Final Dancouga.

So the actual boss appears and I settle into the final throes of his demise. Except, he doesn't just regenerate once. He keeps on regenerating, over and over.

I've wasted all my seishin by this point and my attacks are being dodged consistently. The White Base's engines have been shot to pieces and a third of my previously indestructible robot posse are pushing up daisies.

I'm, basically, utterly fucked.

The final boss then unleashes an attack that wipes out everything and it's game over.

That was my first attempt.

Second attempt, I re-examine my pilot skills and additional robot parts. Lo and behold, the accuracy of most of my units is pretty average. I boost them with a bunch of skills, buy a few Haros and we're off again.

This time I take out pretty much everything without using any seishin. I get to the final boss and crowd the fucker with a bunch of my toughest units. I figure out that the first few times he regerenerates are part of the story and that he can't be really taken out until the White Base buys the farm.

So I have enough seishin left to take him out easy but just as I get him down to around 10,000 HP (from a starting 300,000) he regenerates all his health, again.

I keep on pummeling the bastard and he fucking won't die. He then unleashes his unstoppable uber attack and, again, game over.

Time for the third attempt...

Even more efficient with seishin this time and nailed the placement of my units for maximum pwnage.

Pwnage ensues.

Final boss appears and off we go again.

I've obviously been reading the nonsense the Banpresto people have been spouting but this time the obtuse instructions click and it says that I have to get the Invincible Cockface down to 10% health and then kill him in one hit.

That's 30,000 HP. No attack in the game does that much damage, even chained. Christ, even Final Dancouga's most potent attack does 22,000 HP...tops.

I'm fucked.

I go through the motions again and taste the bitter wrath of strategical sadism and witness another game over.

By this point, I'm a tad peeved.

Normally, I take a break here. After all, each attempt at the final level takes an hour and I've done it three times consecutively.

I fire up XO a fourth time.

Get to the final boss and get him down to around 28,000 HP and he hasn't regenerated. I have one turn left until he unleashes the unstoppable attack of dooooooom. All goes still in the room.

I look at my units I have Shin Getter and God Rajinoh left. I max out their seishin; dodge, muteki, nekketsu, 100% accuracy. I fire off Shin Getter and watch Rajinoh chain for the win.

25,000 damage.

3,000 HP left. He regenerates.

Cock.

I don't even watch the fucking cutscene of him fisting my entire robot army. I turn the 360 off and go to bed. It's 3am.

I leave it a few days and come back to it this morning. Two attempts end in teeth gnashing failure but my third attempt of the day is rather wonderful...

By this point I'm on autopilot for the mission's foreplay. It's pretty much a flawless victory throughout. My support units excel themselves and I get everything place on the stage correctly, even on the few squares that give you 10% HP and EN per turn. All is set.

The final boss arrives, White Base buys it and we're in the final stretch.

I have all my major hitters lined up around him, for maximum chainage. I have the Nu Gundam and Sazabi using the funnels from afar and chipping meticulously away, getting me within the threshold I need.

I max out EVERYTHING. Layzner Mk. II V-MAXes, L-Gaim Mk. II buster launches, Mazinkaiser is mopping up minions. It just epic really and then I'm down to the final three; Final Dancouga, God Rajinoh and Shin Getter. He's at 38,000 HP and I let Shin Getter off the leash but careful not to chain.

12,000 damage. 26,000 HP left, no regeneration. I can do this.

Final Dancouga is next to God Rajinoh, he unleashes the Final DankuKogaKen. Rajinoh follows up and we have a 27,000 damage attack.

I run around screaming like a kid, the fucking wicked witch is dead.

Today was a good day.

http://forums.insertcredit.com/viewtopic.php?t=10507
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games