default header

Games

[AC] [PS2] Sengoku Basara X (Cross)

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] [PS2] Sengoku Basara X (Cross)

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2009 06:25

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara-x/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara-x/ps2.html

I just saw the PCB for this on sale at G-Front for 25,000 yen. What happened with this game? -- it's like they are giving it away for free. I understand there's a PS2 port out, but that's still a ridiculously low price for such a new game. Besides, this is a System 246 game, and that hardware works with DVDs. Yet G-Front has it clearly labeled as a PCB game:

戦国BASARA X(クロス)  PCB 25,000

http://www.gfront.com/

I am really out of the loop for this game...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2009 06:28

Actually, the official site lists it for both the System 246 and the System 256...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 21 Jan 2009 13:45

Unpolished job, I understood. Like ASW's Hokuto no Ken, it's broken for competitive play. I just bought the PS2 version at Play-Asia for 30 €.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2009 19:45

Hokuto no Ken at least had a solid system, and was still being played in arcades (and in tournaments) for a long time after its release -- despite all the glitches. This game utterly bombed. I'll have to pick up a copy and see for myself how bad it is.

As for G-Front's listing, I am beginning to think that by "PCB" they mean game+motherboard, which if correct would be quite a deal.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 21 Jan 2009 22:53

This game's system is no less "solid" than HNK's, as far as I know. But the Basara series is only popular among the girls there (Cross has lots of fan service stuff clearly aimed at them, indeed), while HNK is like an everlasting institution and the game came in a quite better moment. It was also prettier.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2009 09:22

Yeah, HnK was certainly prettier. As for its system, when I say solid I mean a lot of fun to play. It really captured the feel of the anime too, to a great extent. I am just wondering whether Basara's system has an equally unique flavor, perhaps inspired by the original PS2 games, or whether it will be something absent-mindedly slapped together to meet Capcom's deadlines. Given the terrible reception the game got, I am guessing it's the latter.

I'll also head over to SRK later to see what the guys there thought of it. Perhaps grab a few decent videos too, if they exist.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 22 Jan 2009 14:19

I have a couple of friends (3rd Strike fans, not into Guilty Gear X, if it serves) who enjoyed it, especially for its "system", though they haven't played it too much yet. Do you happen to know Capcom's Jojo no Kimyouna Bouken?
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2009 20:57

I have the DC and PS2 Jojos, but they are still sealed. I've no idea how the games play.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 23 Jan 2009 00:24

Laughs. I also have my DC Jojo unsealed. And I have it since its release day! Too many fighting games to play (properly), I guess.

You can put your PS2 Jojo right into the trash bin, by the way.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2009 03:19

That bad, huh. At least the cover art looks good, if I remember correctly. That's always something.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ViewtifulZFO » 23 Jan 2009 05:20

I personally prefer it to HnK.

The flow of the game seems less combo oriented than other ASW games, definitely, but the Engun system is still pretty interesting. It works much like Strikers in the NESTS KOF games, or the Capcom Vs. games except with more versatility. They can be used for anti-air attacks, add damage to super combos, and used as combo breakers, all of which are useful (but all require meter usage as well).

I'm not that great at fighting games, so your mileage may vary, however.
ViewtifulZFO

Return to Games