default header

Games

CAVE-STG

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jan 2009 10:11

For those, by the way, who might be curious as to what the problem is between EOJ and me, here is our first little encounter on Shmucks.com, circa 2006:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7836

(Note that his older username was TWE, just in case some of the posts don't make sense now.)

Highlights from the thread:

EOJ wrote:Good luck getting that Cave shooting game on the X360. But after all "there's no chance in hell it will get cancelled", right? lol

icycalm wrote:I hope those words taste good, because the day will come when you'll be eating them.

chempop wrote:Damn Icycalm I solute you... if I were you i would have thrown my computer out the window half way through this thread... (which I'm just now realizing was almost 2 years ago LOL)

I dare anyone to come forward and suggest that EOJ was not being a complete and utter asshole towards me in that thread. Funny thing is, I was proved to be 100% right at the end, too. I kept bumping that thread as the games were announced, years after the original argument took place.

There were other threads later in which he kept attacking me for whatever reason, and at one point he even registered a fake "icyclam" account on another forum (Select Button) -- though I admit that ended up being a pretty funny stunt. Anyway. If I come across any of the other threads I'll post them here for the bored and curious amongst you.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jan 2009 19:48

Here's an example of someone copy-pasting a review of mine and not even fucking linking me:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/fo ... n_id=12740

Not to mention direct-linking all the screenshots! And all this on a professional website too. But did I bother whining about it? Absolutely not. There's dozens, perhaps even hundreds, examples like this I've come across over the years, but unfortunately never kept a list of them. I'll be posting more here as I come across them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jan 2009 01:13

I'll keep linking more as I find them, but the main point here is that if I acted like EOJ every time someone copy-pasted one of my articles I wouldn't have time to do anything else all day. The first five or six times it happened, back in 2005 or 2006 I think it was, I was just as upset as EOJ. I actually registered in several forums and asked the admins to remove the bulk of the text and to simply link to my website. Some of them complied, others didn't. But after a while, and as the rate of these occurrences kept rising, I just gave up and rationalized it. It's just how the internet works, I am afraid. The good thing is that your name gets around, and those people who take a genuine, direct interest in what you have to say eventually end up coming across your site and bookmarking it. As for those who are not so interested -- and who might simply skim through an article of yours copy-pasted on some other page, and never think about it again -- who cares?

The only objection is the editing, since it is true that most of the people in the links I posted did not alter my writing in any way. BUT, there ARE exceptions -- this one for example:

Original
in the PC world people are expected to be smart enough to just lower the resolution by themselves if their system can't handle it, but in the consumer electronics space EVERYONE IS ASSUMED TO BE A TRAILER-TRASH AMERICAN WHOSE HEAD WOULD JUST EXPLODE if a game started stuttering at a high res setting! So all games have to run at the same frame rate in every resolution, SOMETHING WHICH IS TECHNICALLY IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT THE HELP OF FRAUD.
http://insomnia.ac/hardware/the_fake-hd_era/

vs.

Edited
In the PC world people are expected to be smart enough to just lower the resolution by themselves if their system can't handle it, but in the consumer electronics space everyone is assumed to be a slightly slower version of Miss South Carolina whose head would explode like that guy in Scanners if a game started stuttering at a high res setting. So all games have to run at the same frame rate in every resolution, something which is technically impossible without the help of fraud.
http://chronicdog.blogspot.com/2008/07/fake-hd-era.html

plus all the unauthorized translations, which god only knows how much they might have butchered the original text. But again, I could choose to see all this as offensive, or I could decide to feel flattered by it.

The problem with EOJ's case is that the games he writes about are too little known for him to ever encounter this problem to the same extent that I have, so perhaps he'll never have a chance to come around to my way of seeing things.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2009 23:27

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Feb 2009 23:25

I thought we had reached an agreement with EOJ, but he posted this on his frontpage, which I guess annuls it:

UPDATE (2.12.2009): If you came here via a site called insomnia, please read this. Basically that site is illegally taking my reviews, editing them, and publishing them without my permission. Requests to have my reviews removed from their site have been rudely declined. Due to this, I will no longer post reviews of new CAVE arcade games on CAVE-STG.com or anywhere else. If you want to complain, and perhaps see reviews here again some day, send an email to insomnia's owner asking him to take down my reviews: alex at insomnia dot ac. Thank you for your support.

So I removed the links to his site. If the notice goes down, I will re-add them. Tiresome business, but I'll keep plugging at it because it's worth it. I wish he'd just grow up though, one of these days. That'd be nice.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Bradford » 16 Feb 2009 16:42

EOJ wrote:Due to this, I will no longer post reviews of new CAVE arcade games on CAVE-STG.com or anywhere else.

I know I've said this already, but seriously, his "I'll take my ball and go home" strategy really calls into question his intelligence in addition to his maturity. Is Icy going to feel the pressure mount as EOJ's tens of readers email scathing remarks demanding the reviews come down, so starved are they for more of his enlightening prose? Doesn't he just write reviews for his own enjoyment and to further the goals of his website - who does he think he's hurting? I know! If this doesn't work, he should threaten to go on a hunger strike, or even better, set himself on fire!

Who knew it would be necessary, but I guess someone needs to teach a class - we can call it "Teh Internets 101." Lesson one: if you don't want anyone to copy your shit, DON'T PUT IT ON THE INTERNET.
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is.
Bradford

Unread postby raphael » 17 Feb 2009 00:53

Sounds to me like he didn't want to write them anymore and is just using this as an excuse.

Lame anyway.
raphael

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Feb 2009 19:20

He edited the notice down to a single line linking to his relevant forum thread, so I guess that's going to be an acceptable compromise. I'll re-add the links first chance I get. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby watatatow » 22 Feb 2009 13:01

WARNING (2.21.2009): Some of these reviews appear on a website called insomnia dot ac. Please note the publication of my reviews on that site is completely unauthorized. I have politely requested to have my reviews taken down after they illegally posted them, but my request was rudely declined. The worst part of it all is that the guy who runs the site has actually edited these reviews. The end result is the versions of my reviews on that site are much poorer compared to the originals, due to the editor's clearly ineptitude at editing. So rest assured you can still find the versions I originally wrote right here on CAVE-STG.com. If you would like to voice your displeasure at insomnia's illegal and unprofessional actions, please send an email to their webmaster: alex at insomnia dot ac. Thank you for your support. -EOJ

http://www.cave-stg.com/reviews/

Yep... it's still going on.

Got any mail yet, icy?

EDIT: Aaaand it's gone.
Last edited by watatatow on 22 Feb 2009 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
watatatow

Unread postby JoshF » 22 Feb 2009 18:35

The end result is the versions of my reviews on that site are much poorer compared to the originals, due to the editor's clearly ineptitude at editing.

:lol:

Don't touch it Alex.
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Feb 2009 15:32

He now has a link on his frontpage that reads "Extreme Douchebaggery" and links to this thread. I've had enough of this shit. I think I'll give him a month or so to finally settle down on ONE approach, and then I'll react accordingly. If he keeps changing his mind I'll simply wait -- for as long as I have to. Six months, one year, three decades -- whatever. It's all the same to me. Basically, I don't care what he writes or links in his forum or anywhere else -- the only thing I want is that the frontpage to which I will be graciously linking be free of any, to speak his language, douchebaggery. As long as he can manage that I will re-add the links. If not I won't.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games