default header

Games

Versus shooting games

Moderator: JC Denton

Versus shooting games

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2009 20:58

Twinkle Star Sprites
All-time great game, split-screen, heavy puzzle elements, character balance pretty good, also a good baseline since it's relatively well known (don't need to explain to you of course)

Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse
Still good b/c it's tss, but slower so not as good (even on hardest setting), visibility is worse, also you gain meter too quickly

Senko no Ronde (has 3 arcade versions + 360 port)
All-time great game, arena (which means you directly fight), insane amount of strategy, higher-level strategy is more important than lower-level execution relative to most vs games, character balance and variety is actually quite good atm

Senko no Ronde DUO (upcoming)
Hope it's good lol

Change Air Blade
Vertical but single-screen, extremely tough to balance b/c top and bottom are way different, Sammy's problem is they did a poor job and sequels were never made that could fix this, top is way overpowered with many many broken moves, Japanese ban lots of top moves to try to compensate for this, interesting but ultimately bad

Phantasmagoria of Dimension Dream
Split-screen, it's ok, bit simplistic, problem is that it's too non-interactive (in tss you look at the other person's screen as much as your own, here it's much de-emphasized)

Phantasmagoria of Flower View
Split-screen, bullet hell vs shmup, the 1p is actually better than tss (but who cares), can actually play a downrank strategy which is actually kinda boring, same problem of other screen doesn't matter, game is better than all other non-STB Touhou games though including DimDream
Kioh Gyoku - Seihou version of phantasmagoria, split-screen, like all Seihou it has faster bullets than Touhou, I like it better than the Touhou games, suicide bullets and very fast

Acceleration of Suguri
Arena, some people like this game but I don't (I do like Suguri though, not a pvp), seems to draw more inspiration from Psychic Force than Senko no Ronde despite daijoubu calling it a Senko clone

Psychic Force
Arena, again some people love PF but I can't really get into it, too slow and clunky

Psychic Force 2012
Much better than PF but although I like it I have the same problems with it, this type of game really misses out by not having dash shots like Senko IMO

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24241

Forgot Spacewar and Star Control. Also, it's debatable whether some of the games in his list should be considered versus shooting games... but I haven't played most of them, so I am not going to attempt to correct him right now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Versus shooting games

Unread postby dai jou bu » 11 Feb 2009 21:04

icycalm wrote:Acceleration of Suguri
Arena, some people like this game but I don't (I do like Suguri though, not a pvp), seems to draw more inspiration from Psychic Force than Senko no Ronde despite daijoubu calling it a Senko clone

The header title for that section in my Senko article didn't really clarify what I was trying to say for this game until you started reading the body of it, so it was mostly my fault. Should've called it "This is not a clone, but it looks just as cool" or something similar. That section is also my answer to people who, for some bizarre reason, were comparing Senko to Psychic force.

I'll get back to that article sometime once I get my hands on a copy of DUO.
dai jou bu

Unread postby JoshF » 12 Feb 2009 00:55

If Psychic Force is a shooting game than so is Street Fighter 2.
JoshF

Return to Games