default header

Games

[Wii] [PS2] [PSP] Metal Slug Anthology

Moderator: JC Denton

[Wii] [PS2] [PSP] Metal Slug Anthology

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2009 02:36

I was just reading a "Wii, lol" thread on rllmuk (see here), and one of the guys there mentioned that in this anthology you throw grenades by waving the remote.

No comment.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Vert1 » 26 Jan 2009 06:17

This news is so old, you should say you were reading a "Revolution, lol" thread.
Vert1

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 26 Jan 2009 06:35

It's actually much worse than that, even - the game won't accept digital input from a gamecube controller port, so your hori pads, arcade sticks, et cetera are out. As far as I know it also doesn't allow use of any other peripheral, either.

You are either stuck with the frustratingly inaccurate Gamecube analog stick (and terrible button placement), or you are shaking the controller like an idiot, praying a grenade might pop out.
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby Recap » 26 Jan 2009 11:45

I even dedicated an entire editorial to it.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2009 12:06

I was aware of the controller issue, but I don't remember you mentioning the grenade-tossing remote-waving shenanigans. This was the first time I heard of it.

But yeah, I generally do not pay attention to ports of old games. All the collections, etc. -- I really couldn't care less about them. I am in fact greatly puzzled by people who actually give a toss about them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 26 Jan 2009 12:28

Ports/compilations of old/arcade games are almost the only thing I bought a PS2 for. They're the best thing the domestic systems can get if done right.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2009 12:32

What percentage of them are done right? I was under the impression it's something like one out of ten, so I never bothered with shifting through them to find the few quality ones.

Besides, I don't see the reason for them, especially for someone who's got a good emulation set up.

But what baffles me the most is the amount of enthusiasm people often show for them. For, like, games that have been available for years, if not decades. This just blows my mind.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 26 Jan 2009 12:44

icycalm wrote:What percentage of them are done right? I was under the impression it's something like one out of ten, so I never bothered with shifting through them to find the few quality ones.

The percentage of games with really correct emulation is not much bigger than that...

But what baffles me the most is the amount of enthusiasm people often show for them. For, like, games that have been available for years, if not decades. This just blows my mind.

You know, Capcom's CP-S games have been available for years. They have quite a correct emulation status and I play them on a wonderful 15 kHz PC. And still, if Capcom decided to release tomorrow a compilation of they all with perfect ports, I'd buy it the day one and make a sticky news thread on my forum. Shit, I'd do it even if they released them as one shots and charged full price. Call it "passion", I guess.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Return to Games