default header

Games

The DS library thread

Moderator: JC Denton

The DS library thread

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Mar 2009 19:26

I think the ratio of good to crap games for the DS is even worse than that of the GBA. At any rate, here's the official Insomnia work-in-progress list. You are free to make suggestions, but I probably won't add them to the list -- at least until I've tried the games myself.

Great stuff
Bleach DS: Souten ni Kakeru Unmei (Bleach: The Blade of Fate)
Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem (Bleach: Dark Souls)
Famicom Wars DS (Advance Wars: Dual Strike)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (Advance Wars: Dark Conflict / Famicom Wars DS 2)
Itsuwari no Rondo (Rondo of Swords)
Sekaiju no Meikyuu (Etrian Odyssey)
Sekaiju no Meikyuu II ~Sho Ou no Seihai~ (Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard)
Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon)

Worth checking out
Kage no Densetsu -The Legend of Kage 2- / The Legend of Kage 2
Soma Bringer (especially multiplayer)

I'll be adding more as I remember them.
Last edited by icycalm on 19 Mar 2009 02:53, edited 4 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Vert1 » 13 Mar 2009 00:26

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Wario Ware: Touched
Trauma Center
Trace Memory
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Vert1

Unread postby mothmanspirit » 18 Mar 2009 01:34

Hotel Dusk is just a bunch of scrolling through text. It's well written text and the character portraits are very pretty. The track that plays during the ending is nice. I recall the existence of only two puzzles in the whole game.

Wario Ware: Touched is probably the worst game in the series (I say "probably", because I've only played this and the first two) because it uses all the DS gimmicks. The part where you have to blow on the DS is a good example. While playing it, one probably eihter thinks, "Oh god I'm blowing with my actual breath and it makes things happen in a videogame", or, "I keep getting flecks of saliva all over the screens". Some people probably wipe them off with their t-shirt during the one and a half seconds break between microgames.

I recommend Rhythm Tengoku Gold. It's as good as minigames get. And Kirby: Canvas Curse. They made an actual game using the touch screen and not another retarded toy. And the time attack mode is great.
mothmanspirit

Unread postby Volteccer_Jack » 19 Mar 2009 00:53

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. Easily the best Castlevania to come out since Symphony of the Night.

Also, Megaman ZX, its clearly superior sequel ZX Advent, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill
Volteccer_Jack

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Mar 2009 02:46

I added Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and the Fire Emblem game. All other suggestions duly noted. It would be nice if everyone wrote a few lines for every game they suggested, though.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby mees » 19 Mar 2009 11:47

I think Bangai-o Spirits is a pretty good action game. Every level in the main mode was basically made with the level editor that comes included with the game, and the variety of the level design is pretty incredible. Sure, some of the levels really suck, but overall the action is solid and there are plenty of great scenarios to play through, in and out of the main campaign.

[Continued here: http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=2676 --ed.]
mees

Unread postby Volteccer_Jack » 19 Mar 2009 16:40

ZX and ZX Advent basically play just like Megaman Zero, but the multiple weapons and cyber elves have been traded in for the ability to transform into bosses. The first ZX suffers from one form overshadowing the others, among a number of other, minor problems. ZX Advent is better overall, due to fixing all the first game's problems, but also suffers from having too many forms(sixteen, I think, including the secret one), leaving you with a few that are ultimately gimmicks.

Order of Ecclesia is the first Castlevania since Symphony of the Night that isn't trying way too hard to be Symphony of the Night. The biggest improvement is that it's not piss-easy, like all the other portable CVs. Mainly due to the much greater emphasis on the 10 weapon types and enemy weakness/resistance to each, which are now the most important aspect of combat. Since equipping the right weapons will make any section much easier, it also does away with most level-grinding.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill
Volteccer_Jack

Return to Games