default header

Games

[DS] Bangai-O Spirits

Moderator: JC Denton

[DS] Bangai-O Spirits

Unread postby mothmanspirit » 19 Mar 2009 16:24

Continued from here: http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?p=8713#8713

mees wrote:I think Bangai-o Spirits is a pretty good action game. Every level in the main mode was basically made with the level editor that comes included with the game, and the variety of the level design is pretty incredible. Sure, some of the levels really suck, but overall the action is solid and there are plenty of great scenarios to play through, in and out of the main campaign.

I beat most of the stages in Bangai-O Spirits on my first or second try. You get a huge life bar, probably because Treasure realized that things like bullet dodging and precise maneuvering with the (shitty) DS d-pad are almost impossible. You don’t need to dodge bullets though, because practically everything you can do besides standing still cancels them.

When you hold the fire button down, you automatically shoot at and cancel the bullets closest to you (the napalm shot doesn't cancel very well and it sucks). You’ll almost never not have a ton of super attack because you regain it at a retardedly fast pace from taking damage (speaking of super attacks: The only worthwhile one is napalm + bounce, except on a few puzzle stages that require specific weapons). You can even equip a shield that automatically circles around you, blocking enemy fire.

The only thing that’s kind of cool is the level editor and the way you trade stages.

People scream about this game because of Tim Rogers and/or Treasure. Is this what you call Treasure Syndrome, icy?
mothmanspirit

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Mar 2009 16:40

Yes. Though you are giving Tim too much credit. Outside of the IC/SB/AB artfag circle no one knows of him or his Treasure obsession. But they love the game for the same reasons that he does -- the hypnotism induced by the flashing bright lights.

For their information, I hear hard drugs have a better effect.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby mees » 19 Mar 2009 20:27

It's the levels that I didn't beat on the first or second try that really made the game for me. The first three levels took about 100 tries each for me, and that was by far the most fun I've had with my DS.
mees

Unread postby mothmanspirit » 31 Mar 2009 15:29

The first three levels in which section? Treasure's best (tee hee), puzzle or other?
mothmanspirit

Unread postby mees » 31 Mar 2009 21:03

Other. I'm talking about the levels where the design is just some black and white images (bangai-o face, some weird characters face, etc).

Of course, part of the reason it took me so long was the fact that I had never played before. But it was still a lot of fun.
mees

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Mar 2009 22:09

You say "But it was still a lot of fun", as if it could have been otherwise. Of course it was a lot of fun -- you were having trouble beating those stages, and that -- having trouble -- is the definition of fun. So for that sentence to make any sense, it must be rewritten as: "And it was of course a lot of fun."
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games