default header

Games

[X360] Blue Dragon

Moderator: JC Denton

[X360] Blue Dragon

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Apr 2009 16:05

Leau wrote:Blue Dragon broke my heart today.

Quick story: I'm grinding everyone's job ranks up to lv 99. It's very arduous. The best way to do it is too turn on a field barrier and run around the over world killing the bad guys that spawn. Now if you are at a high enough level, the enemies will die as soon as they hit the barrier and give you a little bit of sp. So the smart thing to do is find a place where enemies spawn endlessly and position yourself in such a way that they run at you and die. But even with all this, it still takes hours and hours and hours. So I'd found such a spot, and set the controller down and started messing around with something else. It was a good spot too, and one of the nicer environments in the game; a snowy, lonesome cliff overlooking the ocean. Every 20 minutes or so I'd look up and see if anyone had maxed out a class and change to a new one if they had.

So i got busy with something else, and after a while I looked back to find that nothing was spawning and no one was running at me. But I saw something in the distance. So I ran over and saw a lone phantom pelican enemy. Just standing there. At the edge of the cliff, facing the ocean. It was just standing there. It looked like he was contemplating his own mortality, staring out at the ocean and thinking about the scores and scores of his brothers I'd unceremoniously killed. Now intellectually I know that it must've gotten stuck on some part of the level geometry, or it's path finding ai glitched or something, but it was still an arresting image after all the mind numbing grinding I'd been doing. Strange that this image moved me more than anything in the story so far. I don't think that's what Mr. Final Fantasy whatisname was going for.

I was very sad to kill it.

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=20343
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 18 Apr 2009 02:03

This reminds me of those ridiculous Final Fantasy articles Tim Rogers used to write for Insert Credit that talked about taping down the A button on his SNES controller, sitting on a futon, eating something vegetarian and almost explaining the meaning of the universe but getting sidetracked by something trivial.
Molloy

Return to Games