default header

Games

[PC] Infantry Zone

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Infantry Zone

Unread postby Molloy » 12 May 2009 20:34

http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=2805

Wow, I remember playing this when it launched 10 years ago. I didn't give it much time though and promptly forgot about it. It sounds pretty fantastic. I'm sorry I didn't stick with it.

I'd say the fact the graphics were pretty dated looking even in 1999 probably accounts for why it didn't garner much media attention. There was quite a bit of word of mouth about it on forums for a while though so the game certainly had it's fans and cheerleaders.
Molloy

Unread postby mees » 13 May 2009 00:42

I'm glad you thought my review made it sound good. That's pretty much all there is to left to do at this point, since the game hardly even exists anymore.

Admittedly, it's a pretty bad review but at least it's something. I feel like Infantry has almost vanished from existence, with hardly anyone to remember it. Even a large portion of its playerbase thought pretty poorly of it since it was a "free online game."

It sort of blows my mind when I consider how many people are willing to play MMORPGs at $10-15+ month, when Infantry got absolutely demolished by a $6.95 monthly fee.
mees

Unread postby ibanezninja » 13 May 2009 01:47

Yeah, I remember playing it way back in the day when it first came out but I thought I was the only person who remembered it fondly.
ibanezninja

Unread postby icycalm » 13 May 2009 19:39

mees wrote:when Infantry got absolutely demolished by a $6.95 monthly fee.

What does this mean?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby mees » 13 May 2009 22:45

Sony decided, I guess, that they wanted to get some money out of the game, so they started charging a subscription fee. Anyway, most people weren't willing to put up with this for whatever reason, and the playerbase declined drastically (probably about 90%).

Around this time, some of the developers left, leaving Jeremy Weeks to manage the entire thing by himself, more or less. Jeremy wasn't even a programmer, but an art guy, so development stagnated. He also wasn't known for making the best decisions, but he was at the very least a passionate guy, so he ended up screwing up a lot of stuff, taking on projects that were too ambitious, etc. I'll never forget how he said, one day, that the EOL zone would be converted into an RPG-style arena "probably later tonight" and people watched as "later tonight" turned into, "later this month," "in a few weeks," "by the end of the year," etc. etc. etc. When it finally came out, years later, it was just a buggy mess he had no hope of salvaging on his own.

Change was always characteristic of Infantry, and it was usually for the better. However, once the players left, everything just sort of fell apart.
mees

Unread postby icycalm » 14 May 2009 19:03

mees wrote:Change was always characteristic of Infantry, and it was usually for the better. However, once the players left, everything just sort of fell apart.

Without the players, I presume that there WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANYTHING THERE to fall apart.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games