default header

Games

Now Playing: [GBA] Rockman Zero / Megaman Zero

Moderator: JC Denton

Now Playing: [GBA] Rockman Zero / Megaman Zero

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jul 2006 20:01

Just got started on this. I've had the first three games for over a year now, but never actually sat down to play them. Zero 2 kicked my ass hard for a couple of days and I gave it up and moved on to other things. But it's nice to start a series from the beginning. Hopefully 1 will be good training for 2.

So I got to the second stage, woo hoo!

I tried it twice and didn't even manage the boss. I'll try again tomorrow.

Looks like a great game, though. Beautiful 2D art. If only I could crouch or fire upwards or diagonally... The sword is way cool, however.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 26 Jul 2006 20:41

Haha, I just got home and saw the banner.
I played level two last night and didn't reach the boss. Now I have untill morning to do it.
Yeah the sword is cool. I'll edit this as I play.

ok, level 2 is done. The boss was a total wuss once I figured it out. Actually there was nothing to figure out. The sword is just supreme. I was thinking on filming some sequences with FRAPS and putting them on youtube, but there just hasn't been anything too interesting yet. Heh, somebody beat me to it. If I find anything real interesting I'll do it.

Now I just saved a cyber-elf from a train. The boss fight was pretty boring. He only had two attacks and didn't move, come on... Also I have to figure out this whole deal with the cyber elves. The sword is my weapon of choice, it increseas in levels and gains more consecutive slashes.

The desert stage was the best one yet. The boss was really good. And he had some zombie robots. I believe this is the first time zombie robots are mentioned on these boards. Ain't that nice.
Also the sword got powered up. I made this gif:
It reminds me of Terry Bogart's special attack, Power Geyser - Powahhhh Gayi-zahhhhhh!
That's enough fun for one night.
zak

Unread postby zak » 27 Jul 2006 10:40

Hey, I'm going away for the weekend, and my summer house has no internet yet (those lazy cable bastards where supposed to come yesterday to hook it up but they didn't).
So I'll be back posting on Monday.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jul 2006 16:16

Then I won't play any more of this. Instead, I'll try to finish Kururin Paradise in the meantime. In any case, I am planning to post at least a couple of reviews on the frontpage, so I might as well spend some extra time playing those games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Chuplayer » 30 Jul 2006 03:45

Well, it didn't take me long to get pissed off at this game. I didn't make it past the second level.

At first, the control scheme pissed me off. R+B for your second weapon? Why not just R? What the fuck? Then I hit pause and saw that you could make it just R, and I was happy.

I liked the intro a lot. It looked very well done. I was surprised at all the blood getting splattered around. It looked very intense. I also liked the cute girl :)

The game felt like a standard Megaman X game. Having played a bunch of games on the PS2 MMX collection, I saw the similarites MMZ has with MMX. I appreciate the separate button for the sword. Less on the gameplay side, the title screen was quite the nod to the old school fans.

I didn't get to hear any of the sound, though. I was listening to the "Living With War" album by Neil Young while playing MMZ, so I muted the game's sound.

I kind of regret not getting this game when it came out. I had the opportunity, but I passed. If I had bought the cart, I surely would've not stopped so soon. Unfortunately, a ROM can't hold my attention. It seems like a really cool game, but I haven't got the drive to keep at it.

Maybe I'll play it again in the next couple of days.
Chuplayer

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jul 2006 23:27

Well, if you don't feel like playing it on an emulator, then you shouldn't be making an effort to play it on a GBA either. It's the same game at the end of the day.

I am almost finished with Kururin Paradise, I think I am one or two stages away from the end, so I'll put some more time into Zero in the next few days.

Glad you told me you can assign a sinlgle button for the sword! I never look into these things. I just go with the defaults, except if I am having real trouble.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 03 Aug 2006 14:25

I played some more today, after five hours of sleep and an entire night of Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. The sword is clearly the best weapon in the game. I got a sort of rod-sword that can attack in 8 directions but it has a smaller arc of attack than the sword, so I'll just stick to what I know.

I lost count of what level I'm at, but I just finished one composed entirely of a boss fight. You follow a big tank arround and slash at it while it throws mines and some flying bots. Only thing is those bots constantly drom health so you can't really loose.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Aug 2006 00:14

I actually put this aside for later, because I am too busy re-playing games for review. I started the third Fire Emblem yesterday, though, for my own personal enjoyment. I can't get enough of these games. If you want to try it out let me know and I'll "send" it to you. In fact, if you want to get into them you should start with the second game and then move on to the third, so maybe you want both?

In any case, I'll come back to Zero at some point after I am done with the Fire Emblems.

As for Kururin Paradise, I still try that one stage I am stuck on every couple of days, but I just can't get past it...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 07 Aug 2006 08:41

Yeah, I gave up on Megaman for now. The bosses have become next to impossible and I just don't have the time or patience to get past some of them.

I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance at my summer house, where I don't have any internet and won't get any for at least a month, so all I did this weekend was play GBA games.

So Fire Emblem sounds good, I'd appreciate it if you could send both and I'll definetely put some hours into them this week (and ceirtainly during the weekend).
zak

Unread postby ei6 » 02 Oct 2007 05:45

I definately recommend playing through the Zero Series. I found it much cleaner, more fulfilling of an experience compared to the convoluted Rockman X series.

Contrasted against the ZX series on DS and the X saga on the PS2, the four Zero games are the only ones to retain that classic old-school aesthetic, both in terms of graphics and challenge.
ei6

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 02 Oct 2007 06:07

Loved it, hated the sequels. Much like any megaman series it starts to get worse and worse with more irritating design decisions further down the line.
For my button setup, I like to have L as my secondary weapon, R as the dash button, B as attack and A as jump.
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Oct 2007 00:35

This thread brings back memories. I played a bunch of good games with zak that summer.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby sarsamis » 22 Dec 2007 05:46

Requesting an update ITT since I was quite fond of this series.
sarsamis

Return to Games