default header

News

Second Cave shooter in 2008?

Moderator: JC Denton

Second Cave shooter in 2008?

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2008 03:01

The last page of the recently released Guwange/Esprade OST featured this illustration, which has nothing to do with either game:

Since the theme here is clearly related to Guwange (though not quite the art style), we were all hoping for either a sequel or some sort of a spin-off to that game. However, Guwange was Ikeda's baby and now we know he's working on the new Dodonpachi, so what the hell's going on here?

Best case scenario? Yet another Cave shooter is coming up, with someone else directing.

Thanks to gamengai for the scan.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 09 Feb 2008 17:03

I find all this information about Cave shooters quite depressing. The fact is as a Westerner you'll never have a chance to play them untless you want to throw down huge chunks of change on PCBs. It's a real shame that the modern consoles have stupid rules about everything having to be high definition regardless of how appropriate it may or may not be. And the fact these games don't really have a large enough audience to make porting a profitable business.

I never get to see how pretty these new games like Muchi Muchi Pork look because the only glimpse of them you get is in horrible resolution on Youtube. I want to see lush new 2D artwork damnit!

The only way I'm going to get to keep up with arcade games in the future (pretty much the only type of games I really give a shit about anymore) is if I opened my own arcade, or had loads of money so I could create my own one in my basement.
Molloy

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Feb 2008 22:53

If you are prepared to keep around 1000USD perpetually tied down in a PCB, then you can keep getting the latest Cave shooters approximately a year or two after their release. A bare Mushihime-sama Futari or Muchi Muchi Pork PCB goes for around that much right now. You buy one game, play it for one, two, three months, then you sell it and get the next one. If you learn a little about the PCB market you will never lose any money, and if you learn a lot you could even make some.

Do this and you could be playing Death Smiles in six months, and the upcoming Dodonpachi a year after its release. I think that the investment is justified by the quality of the gaming you'll be getting.

The only other thing you'll need is the hardware to play the game. Either a supergun (50 to 300USD, depending on how much you want to spend), or a cab.

It's all worth it man. Lord knows I remember all the money I spent on Neo Geo cartridges back in the day, on games like Magician Lord, King of the Monsters, etc. -- games that are completely laughable compared to the two masterpieces per year Cave has been churning out recently.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Caveman » 12 Feb 2008 00:27

I feel your pain Molloy :( or should I say I felt your pain. Up until recently, I was as you are now. Frustrated by the lack of ports of the newer Cave titles and constantly cursing my luck when hearing news of yet more on the way.

Yet there was light at the end of the tunnel, in the form of my first supergun!! I paid £35 for the hulking great thing on eBay and have never looked back. Seriously mate, if you were to put aside £100-150 you'd be amazed with what you can pick up.
Caveman

Unread postby Molloy » 12 Feb 2008 00:51

Don't worry guys. I don't need any convincing about the joys of PCBs. I just don't have the disposable income at the moment to even start thinking about buying a cabinet. I've started writing music recently and there's going to have to be some expensive purchases related to that beforehand as well.
Molloy

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Mar 2008 02:05

EOJ wrote:Ikeda mentioned this at the Ketsui meet #3. When asked if Yagawa was helping out on DDP: DFK, Ikeda said no, and that he is "working on a different game right now".

Awesome news for the Yagawa fans out there.

Thanks to KEI-KO Fujisaki for the info.

http://www.cave-stg.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=124
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News