default header

Theory

lol

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby Recap » 21 Jan 2009 14:52

Jaleco did lots of neat things, and hopefully won't die out as the result of this transition, but I'm guessing it'll exist more as a back catalog now. Games like Suchie Pai, Choplifter, P-47, Irritating Stick, and even Punky Skunk shouldn't get brushed to the side.

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/002609.html

Brandon hit 2 out of 5. Not too bad for his benchmark, I guess.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2009 22:39

Aderack wrote:As clumsy as it is in places, it's still pretty much the reference model for psychology-based narrative modeling.

http://forums.insertcredit.com/viewtopi ... 877#287877

Yes, he is talking about a videogame.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby mees » 24 Jan 2009 05:22

mees

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2009 02:07

The point is that people are repeatedly and tediously saying the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER and ruining other threads. This thread OBVIOUSLY isn't designed to stimulate great debate but perhaps when someone tediously makes a post about how UTTERLY SHIT the games on the Wii are they can be pointed to this thread and even if they don't post in it they can think "YES, this point has been made a million times before, I am comforted by knowing that others feel the same" and then harmony will increase because we won't need 10 pages of a thread dedicated to people saying "Shit!" "amazing!" "Shit!" "We all play on ours!" and "This is genuinely the worst thing to happen to games ever, the success means that decent games will be pushed out of production by people wanting to make million selling games about being fluffy cats and playing with balls of wool. 'THE REMOTE IS THE CAT'S PAW, YOU JUST MOVE IT BACK AND FORTH AND THE WOOL MOVES. IT'S JUST LIKE BEING A CAT!'"

"That cat game isn't all that, but we had a good few nights with it, isn't it hardcore enough for you?"

"It's fucking shit"

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s= ... &p=5764995
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jan 2009 05:24

A seven-paragraph game review that doesn't start talking about how the game plays until the middle of the fifth paragraph. The previous four paragraphs are so full of fluff they'd get cut even from a Wikipedia article:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172487

And people have been saying how much 1UP has improved in recent years. Or that we should feel sorry for half of the site's staff that got laid off a few weeks back. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were all TORTURED TO DEATH, let alone get fired.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jan 2009 22:57

Kotaku has put together a pseudomagazine filled with their usual articles/reviews/etc., with a cover whose aesthetic qualities perfectly reflect the journalistic value of the magazine's content:

http://kotaku.com/5143386/k1?skyline=true&s=i

And people are actually asking to see this on newsstands.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jan 2009 23:48

I like how Gametrailers rates games on "design", "story", "gameplay" and "presentation". Only for some reason sports games do not get a "story" rating. I wonder why. I also wonder what the difference is between "design" and "gameplay".

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews.php
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 01 Feb 2009 12:14

icycalm wrote:And people are actually asking to see this on newsstands.

What would be the point? Print media is dying.
Archonus

Unread postby JoshF » 01 Feb 2009 12:18

What would be the point?

Validation from seeing your words in print, in Barnes & Noble. Any old pleb can write something on the internet, after all.
JoshF

Unread postby Recap » 01 Feb 2009 13:45

And here I am believing all this time that indeed my credibilty would crash the day it got disclosed that you could find my words in a printed mag...!
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2009 14:04

Which mag is that?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2009 14:07

So according to someone who writes for Gamasutra, Leigh Alexander has more interesting things to say about games than I do:

Christian Nutt wrote:hrm. this guy vs. leigh is self-evidently fail. no attention required or deserved.

http://zerochan.livejournal.com/514523.html

Perhaps if I got a vagina and bigger boobs those nerds would start paying more attention to me?

Also, this:

In the meantime, anyone who actually matters in the games biz will persist in not caring he exists.

This sort of comment is among the reasons I posted the Schopenhauer essays here. No need for explanations -- just copy & paste:

Schopenhauer wrote:But there is another way; and when a man of eminent merit appears, the first effect he produces is often only to pique all his rivals, just as the peacock’s tail offended the birds. This reduces them to a deep silence; and their silence is so unanimous that it savors of preconcertion. Their tongues are all paralyzed. It is the silentium livoris described by Seneca. This malicious silence, which is technically known as ignoring, may for a long time interfere with the growth of reputation; if, as happens in the higher walks of learning, where a man’s immediate audience is wholly composed of rival workers and professed students, who then form the channel of his fame, the greater public is obliged to use its suffrage without being able to examine the matter for itself.

http://insomnia.ac/essays/on_reputation/

Also!

Back in the InsertCredit days, it was debated whether Icy was real, or some persona adopted for shock value/trolling/low entertainment/whatever. In the end, it didn't really matter, because the results were the same.

The last sentence is actually a very insightful observation.
Last edited by icycalm on 01 Feb 2009 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 01 Feb 2009 14:23

icycalm wrote:Which mag is that?

The Spanish edition of Screenfun (dead since like 8 years ago). They paid really well external contributions.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Feb 2009 23:53

Never heard of that one. What sort of writing did you do for them? News, reviews, features?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 02 Feb 2009 11:38

Reviews. I usually chose the games, so it was a good deal/work.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Worm » 03 Feb 2009 18:45

More evidence that the "art games" crowd hates videogames in general:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/02/roa ... s.php#more
We are still sickened to the stomach by the memory of hurling hundreds of living bodies through the air with a gravity gun in Half Life 2. But even Mario and Pikmin are highly objectionable in this respect.
A single tear for the Goomba Holocaust.
Worm

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2009 00:08

Faggots, lol. But whatcha gonna do about it? They too have a right to exist.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Feb 2009 11:25

Hack Designer Pentagram

These five elemental game characters are guaranteed to get a giggle from game designers, as they are prolific families in the gaming landscape, tend to sound silly in pitch meetings, and just look lazy. The popularity of each rises and falls like the tide, though the universally appeal of the monkey seems to know no wane.

Zombie
Ninja
Monkey
Pirate
Robot/Cyborg

Very close on the list are Aliens, but these tend to be mixed with one of the above. The exception would be an Alien Pirate. This is an unacceptable configuration. In the case that such nomenclature exists, ”Space” is often substituted for ”Alien,” thus distancing players from the awkward and undesirable configuration. See Metroid and its ”Space Pirates”.

Other runners-up: Vampires and Nazis.

Post-Structuralist Commentary

It should be noted that not only do the above exist as hack design elements but also as wide ranging internet memes. Noting the traditional breakdown of Ninja vs. Pirate 1) and Robot vs. Monkey, some observations can be made. The rampant surfacing and juxtaposition of these memes can be interpreted as a postmodern way of dealing with eternal questions of space, time, and death. The Ninja is an ancient, mythological, and deadly figure from an eastern culture, whereas Pirates are western in origin. As global culture starts to emerge, their struggle can be seen as a response to globalism and an attempt to resolve questions raised by different cultures existing in the same virtual (and sometimes literal) space.

Similarly, the opposition of robots and monkeys can be seen as a loose response to increasing scientific understanding of humanity over a timeline. Specifically, the monkey represents a state of nature in terms of pre-civilization; in other words, our past. Robots, particularly of the cyborg variety, represent our future. Both call to mind the image of dwindling and questionable “humanity”, no matter which way you look in time.

What of Zombies? They are a response to the question of death and afterlife. If we decide to include Aliens in the pentagram, they could be seen as a response to spiritual questions, i.e., “is there a God?”

http://www.insertcredit.com/wiki/hack_d ... _pentagram
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby JoshF » 06 Feb 2009 11:54

Moar entry-level janitors, or something.
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Feb 2009 11:32

What's the difference between a "feature" and an "article"? Take this banner from a crappy gaming site, for example:

They advertise their "features" and their "articles".

And then when you visit the site itself:

http://www.gamingverdict.com/

you see a little box in the middle of the page which lists their "Featured Articles".

Now how can anyone take these people seriously, when they don't even seem capable of properly categorizing their very own content?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Feb 2009 17:36

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 11 Feb 2009 21:47

Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Feb 2009 00:35

There's a thread currently going on at rllmuk, where Steven Poole, Kieron Gillen and I do a little bit of scuffling. Here's a highlight:

I wrote:The classic response of the uneducated. I am sure you would have also chastised a mathematician for trolling the Pythagorean theorem instead of "talking about his own ideas". Plagiarism is not my business, Gillen. I leave that for the journalists.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s= ... &p=5853049

Stuart Campbell was also reading the thread at some point, so perhaps he'll join in the icycalm-bashing later. lol at the Brits. I really do love them though, despite everything. They put up a much better fight than the Americans, for sure. Perhaps not in that particular thread, but generally.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Feb 2009 11:58

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s= ... &p=5853788

I think I should change the title of this thread to rofl.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Strifer » 13 Feb 2009 19:11

It's funny that Gillen seems to be rejecting the idea that experts should be reviewing games, even though he is supposed to be one.
Strifer

PreviousNext

Return to Theory