default header

Theory

Professional Gaming

Moderator: JC Denton

Professional Gaming

Unread postby ashn0d » 29 Aug 2008 00:31

I would like to know what are your thoughts about professional gaming, if it's a valid form of sport, what's the expression of professional gaming in Japan (I'm saying this especially due to the Tougeki tournaments) and the likes.
ashn0d

Re: Professional Gaming

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Aug 2008 00:54

I have mentioned several times on this site that we don't yet have a definition of the concept 'game'. Until we have that, the phrase 'professional gaming' is pretty much meaningless.

ashn0d wrote:your thoughts about professional gaming, if it's a valid form of sport

You are using terms very haphazardly -- not only 'professional gaming', but also 'valid' and 'sport'. Sport is just a game that requires physical skill, in contrast to intellectual skill, so by that definition most games are not sports, or are very little sport-like (the action-oriented ones, bemani games, etc. being more sport-like, but still much less so than real-life sports).

And what do you mean by "valid"? If your question is not clear you cannot expect to receive clear answers. What I can tell you for sure is that one thing that's not valid here is your question.

But ANYWAY. Let me just answer your question here real quick because it's a real silly one and I want to get it over with.

Everything human beings do that gives them pleasure is "valid". If they get money for it people call them "professionals". If not, they call it "entertainment". All of this is really stupid because judging human activity by money flows is the lowest form of thinking imaginable. The circulation of money, after all, is directed by "the people" -- since "the people" are stupid, the money will always end up in the wrong places (see the pockets of movie/rock/sports stars, etc.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory