Moderator: JC Denton

Sirlin: a cool guy?

yes
65%
no
35%

Total votes : 17

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Dec 2008 21:17

The battle has already taken place, and it's quite clear who was crowned the undisputed champion.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ViewtifulZFO » 04 Dec 2008 20:54

http://www.videogamer.com/news/04-12-2008-10106.html

This is an interesting article (in terms of content, at least). Apparently, Backbone did not support Sirlin's attempt to balance the game at all. Sirlin taught himself how to understand the code of the DC port of SSF2T and made the remixed mode himself. The validity of his claims is only based on himself, however, so there really is no way to know for sure whether or not he's telling the truth or being a self-important jerk.
ViewtifulZFO

Unread postby zer0kage » 05 Dec 2008 16:39

Here's his response to the reviews and the press:

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2008/12/4/mo ... e-pre.html
zer0kage

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Dec 2008 17:47

For Macaw and whoever else still thinks that Sirlin doesn't go around loudly proclaiming he designed this game:

And I shouldn't leave out the players, either. It's not possible to design a game like this in a vacuum

That's right: a vacuum won't do -- it takes a whole bunch of extremely talented people in Japan to design a game like this. Fucking dumbass. I think I should learn how to edit hitbox data, then mess around with Accent Core or Arcana Heart or some shit, and then go around telling everyone I "designed" them. I would too if I didn't have better things to do.

So even though it was a struggle and even though I had to fight for a lot of things (that probably made me pretty unpopular...), please know that of course I had help. Everyone sacrificed and suffered.

His chest-thumping and melodramatics have no end. Everyone "suffered" in order to mess around with some hitbox data and a couple of moves, in the amount of time it took, say, Arcsys to make a game like, say, Blazblue. Jesus Fucking Christ.

So first of all thanks for those reviews. But second, it's kind of strange to even think about a score when the real test of the game is whether it falls apart or holds up for years. Also, fighting games are notoriously misunderstood by the press (just look at reviews for Guilty Gear, one of the greatest fighting games series ever). But hey, I won't look a gift-horse in the mouth, so thanks again to the world of game reviewers.

Translation: All these people reviewing my game know fuck-all about fighting games and their reviews are therefore worthless, but, hey, the scores are high so who am I to behave honestly and complain about the content?

The more I read of this guy the more convinced I become that, among developers, you'd be hard pressed to find a more sub-mediocre, self-important, two-faced, lying, piece-of-scum windbag with not a shred of integrity than him. And he can't write worth a shit either.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 05 Dec 2008 20:34

But he is still voted only by me as not cool...
Jedah

Unread postby JoshF » 05 Dec 2008 21:25

In one of the earlier articles he called it "the sixth version of Street Fighter II".
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Dec 2008 03:18

I can't see anything wrong with that claim... It may be the least significant one, but it certainly is a new version.

Jedah wrote:But he is still voted only by me as not cool...

I voted before having read much of his stuff. I guess I voted based on my impression of his reputation, and that seems to me to be generally positive. I am now bashing him all the more fiercely to compensate for the hasty casting of my vote.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Evo » 07 Dec 2008 11:31

I voted not cool for the crime of calling himself a designer of SF. A modder is not a designer...
Evo

Unread postby zer0kage » 08 Dec 2008 09:40

http://www.videogamer.com/features/arti ... 8-580.html

Massive interview with Sirlin following the article posted by ViewtifulZFO. Apparently the new sprites are the reason why the game took so long to be released.
zer0kage

Unread postby c001357 » 15 Feb 2009 12:21

c001357

Unread postby JoshF » 27 Feb 2009 02:59

JoshF

Unread postby Evo » 27 Feb 2009 03:35

Last edited by Evo on 27 Feb 2009 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Evo

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Feb 2009 13:19

That's the good side of Sirlin. When he sticks to commenting on things he understands he does just fine.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Timic83 » 29 Mar 2009 22:46

Sirlin did tutorials for Brawl with items on.

:shock:

I can't trust the man any more, he can't possibly know anything when it comes to Smash, so why did he do it? Oh, money from Nintendo of course.
Timic83

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Mar 2009 22:54

You can't throw empty accusations around like that in here. This isn't gamefaqs (and I am saying this especially because I know you came here from gamefaqs).

If you have some sort of evidence or can provide an extensive reasoning on why you suspect Nintendo might have paid Sirlin to write Brawl tutorials (an accusation, which, frankly, sounds ridiculous), then do so. If not, please spare us the fucking nonsense.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ibanezninja » 30 Mar 2009 06:23

Even though it sounds ridiculous, Sirlin actually was commissioned by Nintendo to make the videos.

Sirlin wrote:I made this series of ten short tutorial videos for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They appear on the official Nintendo Channel accessible through your Wii, on Nintendo's website, and below from YouTube. Nintendo asked me to explain the game to new players in a way that shows them there is more going on than they might think. Remember, these videos are for new players, not for tournament champions and they're intended to help the Smash scene grow.

Smash Bros. sells well in the US and in Japan, but struggles more in Europe. It sells more in both the US and Japan, while the perception in Eurpose is that it's "that kids game with the Mario Kart characters." A strange and ironic statement considering that the "Mario Kart characters" aren't even originally from Mario Kart, but that game sells well in Europe so it's a point of reference for many. Maybe my videos and the reputation of my name will help increase the scene in Europe. (Note to anrgy commenters: this information is from Nintendo, not from me. The idea that my name as an expert on competitive games might help in this situation is from Nintendo, not from me, and that's why they contacted me.)
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2008/11/9/smash-bros-brawl-tutorial-videos.html

Hmm, you think maybe if Nintendo actually developed Smash as an actual serious fighting game instead of a "party" game that they wouldn't have to commission videos to try and dupe people into thinking otherwise?
ibanezninja

Unread postby Timic83 » 30 Mar 2009 06:54

Told ya.

And yeah, I must've been in the GameFAQs mindset.
Timic83

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Mar 2009 14:09

Timic83 wrote:Told ya.

You didn't tell me anything -- the other guy did. You were just throwing around common knowledge, without bothering to back it up and while making it sound like some kind of a conspiracy.

Timic83 wrote:And yeah, I must've been in the GameFAQs mindset.

Exactly, and next time you do it you'll be banned.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Theory