default header

Theory

Sex in games

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby ganheddo » 08 Jan 2009 10:57

icycalm wrote:And the violence equivalent of masturbation would be hitting a punching bag, for example: An activity that does not involve a real opponent, and therefore carries no risks or difficulties. Same as masturbation.

But doesn't the absence of risk and difficulties create a save environment enabling a playfulness beneficial for experimentation and creativity, which often wouldn't be a given under the threats of reality?

So even if simulation is pathetic compared to the real thing, isn't it also a useful learning device?

I mean it could certainly helpf if you know a bit about your body, before you engage in a sexual act, or if you know how to punch something, before you try punching somebody.
ganheddo

Unread postby taub » 09 Jan 2009 01:44

Nobody said that masturbation is bad and useless.
taub

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jan 2009 02:13

Ganheddo wrote:But doesn't the absence of risk and difficulties create a save environment enabling a playfulness beneficial for experimentation and creativity, which often wouldn't be a given under the threats of reality?

Experimentation, yes, but it's a less valuable kind of experimentation -- the most important lessons about sex are learned while having sex; the most important lessons about war are learned while fighting a war, et cetera.

As for creativity... Well, it is a complicated story. For the moment, I will just give you this:

Nietzsche wrote:The concept "create" is today completely indefinable [This word is illegible.], unrealizable; merely a word, a rudimentary survival from the ages of superstition; one can explain nothing with a mere word.

Ganheddo wrote:So even if simulation is pathetic compared to the real thing, isn't it also a useful learning device?

I mean it could certainly helpf if you know a bit about your body, before you engage in a sexual act, or if you know how to punch something, before you try punching somebody.

Yes. But you STILL need to fuck somebody and punch somebody in the end. This is the criterion by which you judge masturbation's worth: It has to at some point lead to real action, otherwise you are only ever masturbating.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Mr.Stevenson » 15 Jan 2009 11:45

icycalm wrote:Guys who pick fights in real life are like guys who have sex with girls in real life. If you want to take it further, tough guys who pick fights in real life with people they can easily beat are like guys who pick up ugly girls in real life because they are easy. Etc. etc.

What would one say about guys who buy sex, either directly or indirectly? Is sex that a man has bought of any less worth than a man who didn't purchase it? I say this because one can think of many hypothetically situations in which buying sex is either complex or not complex, easy or difficult, etc, etc.

icycalm wrote:Yes. But you STILL need to fuck somebody and punch somebody in the end. This is the criterion by which you judge masturbation's worth: It has to at some point lead to real action, otherwise you are only ever masturbating.

Why should we care if one ever does fuck somebody at all?

If there is no difference in worth of sex about what I said above, and sex is just another commodity, then I have these questions: What worth does sex have? What could one say about the worth of sex other than the only worth of sex is sex itself?
Mr.Stevenson

Unread postby JoshF » 15 Jan 2009 17:04

What would one say about guys who buy sex, either directly or indirectly? Is sex that a man has bought of any less worth than a man who didn't purchase it?

You could say most everyone "buys" sex, some just do it with money instead of personal qualities. It's probably the oldest commercial transaction. :lol:
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Jan 2009 22:52

Stevenson, your questions are off-topic, but even if they weren't, they seem to me extremely pointless. "What worth does sex have?" What kind of fucking question is that?

As for this one:

Mr.Stevenson wrote:Why should we care if one ever does fuck somebody at all?

For christ sake's man! The answer is in the passage you yourself quoted RIGHT BEFORE asking it! You can obviously read, because you picked it out and quoted it, so what the fuck man!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Jan 2009 01:07

icycalm wrote:
Jedah wrote:Has anyone of you experienced real live violence to make the comparison?

I have taken part in several kickboxing fights. I have also been involved in streetfights where people got their noses broken, blood everywhere, etc. There's nothing quite like it. The closest I have seen the feeling captured on film is Fight Club.

I was just now struck by the hilariousness of the above exchange. I am trying to imagine what a ridiculous, what a pathetic figure we would have cut in the eyes of our ancestors.

"Hey, does anyone have a clue about the differences between real violence and these colorful blobs moving around on this piece of glass?"

"Yes, yes, I do! I do! I once tripped and fell and hit my nose on the floor, and I bled a little and it hurt!"

"Well, good for you. Here, have a cookie."
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Theory