default header

Theory

Designing for Free

Moderator: JC Denton

Designing for Free

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Apr 2009 02:15

Soren Johnson wrote:In China, a new MMORPG with a very aggressive business model, entitled ZT Online, has gained significant popularity. With over 10 million users and an ARPU of $40/month, the game has made its publisher, Giant Interactive, one of the most profitable online entertainment companies in China. Like many Asian games, ZT is free-to-play (F2P) and focuses primarily on player-vs-player gameplay. Not only can players steal from their defeated foes, but weaker characters can even be kidnapped and held for ransom, locking their owners out of the game.

Access to equipment in ZT is very limited. First of all, there are no loot drops from killing monsters or completing quests. Further, all items in the game are completely bound to the owner, so there is no way to trade for better weapons with other players. Instead, the primary way to gain equipment to empower one’s character is by paying real money directly to the publisher to open “treasure chests.” Essentially in-game slot machines, these chest have only a small chance of producing something useful, and finding the best equipment often requires opening thousands of chests. In fact, each day, the game confers a special bonus to the player who has opened the most chests, meaning the player who has spent the most real-world money to obtain better items.

ZT Online’s complete embrace, at every level of the game, of real-money transactions (RMT) may be appalling to some in the West, but the game is in many ways at the vanguard of a trend to develop games that take advantage of the players’ appetites for spending money to gain in-game advantages. Ironically, the F2P-with-RMT model traces its origins to the challenge of getting Asian gamers to buy boxed, retail games, most of whom preferred the free ride of easy and widespread piracy. In response, Korean companies like Nexon and NCsoft built server-based online games which could not be pirated and would require alternate business models.
Starting with subscriptions (including the world’s first million-subscriber MMO, NCsoft’s Lineage), the Korean industry eventually shifted to F2P games that made money from micro-transactions, such as Nexon’s KartRider and MapleStory. With many of these online games serving tens of millions of players, the Korean model has begun attracting the attention of major Western publishers, who have chartered their own F2P games in Asia, such as EA’s FIFA Online, Valve’s Counter-Strike Online, and THQ’s Company of Heroes Onine.

The promise of F2P games is that gamers will get hooked on a free game and then eventually spend their own money on their new passion. However, designing these games is not a simple endeavor; in fact, the challenges of F2P design can make developers appreciate how fortunate they were when they could design for a fixed-cost product, either a boxed, retail game or a standard, subscription-based MMO. In a fixed-cost world, the designer can focus on just one thing: making the player’s experience as engaging and interesting and fun as possible.

For a F2P game, however, designers have to balance making free content fun enough to engage first-time players but not so much fun that they would not yearn for something more, something that could be turned into a transaction sometime in the future. Every design decision must be made with a mind towards how it affects the balance between free and paid content. Thus, the true cost of piracy is that the line between game business and game design has become very blurry. As games move from boxed products to ongoing services, business decisions will become increasingly indistinguishable from design decisions. Of course, the industry has seen game designers play businessmen before - a fundamental part of arcade game design was understanding how to suck the most quarters out of players. Thus, understanding how successful F2P game have navigated these waters is instructive.

http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=115

The article continues, but I stopped reading here because he committed two GARGANTUAN gaffes, and because it's clear to me that his train of thought moves on into very boring, tedious territory. But what are the gaffes?

Thus, the true cost of piracy is that the line between game business and game design has become very blurry.

Yeah dude, because these game design models would not have been invented if piracy did not exist, because the people who design games do not care at all about maximizing profits, lol.

Of course, the industry has seen game designers play businessmen before - a fundamental part of arcade game design was understanding how to suck the most quarters out of players.

More proof that Western designers never understood arcade gaming, which is why most REAL credit-feeders were designed by Westerners, and why 99.99% of arcade games worth mentioning were, and still are, made in Japan.

And this tripe gets published in "Western Game Developer" magazine. This, dear readers, is how fallacies are disseminated and perpetuated. By ignorant twats scribbling furiously in random publications with no editorial standards whatsoever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Apr 2009 02:23

I posted this in his comments section:

I wrote:Soren, my dear friend, much like all Western designers ever, you understand fuck-all about arcade games. Read this and wake the fuck up:

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/arcade_culture/

Arcade games were never about "munching quarters" or whatever -- only WESTERN arcade games were about that. JAPANESE arcade games were about THE EXACT OPPOSITE.

Meh. It doesn't matter how many decades pass. The White Man will never understand the concept of skill-based gaming.

I wonder why I bothered. Still, that guy helped design Civilization IV, so I guess this is my thanks to him for contributing towards my favorite game series ever. If my little tantrum there helps open his eyes to the wonders of the universe, I will have paid off my debt to him.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby raphael » 02 Apr 2009 10:33

Interesting read ... before the article drowns.

A few laughs:
Soren Johnson wrote:In a fixed-cost world, the designer can focus on just one thing: making the player’s experience as engaging and interesting and fun as possible.

Yeah, challenge is bad for creation. And designers are Santa Claus.
Thus, with the help of the auto-balancing market forces of the dual currency system, the designer’s goal simply becomes creating a compelling experience that keeps people playing the game.

Auto-balancing market? Why not auto-balancing game design then?

"The designer’s goal simply becomes" ... being as lazy as possible. No wonder he called the article "Designing for free", after all.

Too bad, ZT Online game description was pretty interesting. I'd like to know more about that.
raphael

Unread postby BlackerOmegalon » 02 Apr 2009 22:39

That kind of mentality is why Western developers should never be allowed near a Japanese game series. The following is from an interview with the House of the Dead Overkill's LEAD DESIGNER.
Q:Is the game longer or more involved due to being designed for a home audience, or is it faithful to the arcade style?

A:Overkill is definitely the longest House of the Dead so far, as it has been specifically designed for a home console.

However, we have done our utmost to ensure that it feels like playing an arcade machine -- albeit an arcade machine that is out to entertain a paying customer, instead of one that is trying to lever money out of players. Our players have already paid their money, so it's also our job to make sure they have a thrilling ride. That said, our high-score tables and awards are going to be very tough for any but the hardcore to achieve.

Those comments were so retarded that I'm not exactly sure if he actually believes them or if he's just saying them trying to sell his game to a dumb audience.

Predictibly enough, the new console-exclusive Western-developed HotD game seems to have to gotten some positive comments from the mainstream gaming press. I don't recall Ghost Squad and HotD 2&3 on the Wii (real arcade games) getting as much praise.
BlackerOmegalon

Return to Theory