default header

Theory

Arm Fatigue in Wii and Ligh Gun Games

Moderator: JC Denton

Arm Fatigue in Wii and Ligh Gun Games

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Apr 2009 12:33

Continued from here: http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?p=9541#9541

mees wrote:I have never understood the "arm fatigue" argument. I can only imagine that maybe these people are degenerate slime blobs. As for you, I know that you are not, so I just don't get it.

I swim 2-3 kilometers per day and look like this:

and still get arm fatigue when I try playing a light gun game after not having played one for several weeks.

It's a different set of muscles exercised then, so you can't really make comparisons. I've seen body-builders try to box and get so tired they can't even keep their arms up after a few minutes on the punching bag. The human body works in complicated ways.

As for my conjectures for the Wii, I haven't used the damn thing much, only played half a dozen games or so, and I remember having to pause often in several of them: the Takoron port and Sengoku Musou Katana, for example. These force you to have your arms extended all the time. NMH on the other hand doesn't, so it depends on the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 23 Apr 2009 13:03

I recall the Mega Drive pad having a particularly skin shredding properties, particularly if you use the joint of your finger rather than the tip of your thumb to depress the pad. But after regular use the skin toughens and then it doesn't matter.

I used to do a lot of Tae Kwon Do (I now mostly swim instead) and while there's initially a lot of emphasis on strength and flexibility the emphasis towards the end gets towards muscle stamina. Kicking above your head isn't that hard. Kicking above your head and holding it there for 10 seconds is bloody difficult. I haven't played many Wii games either but I generally rest my elbow on my knee. Anything that requires me to point continuously wouldn't appeal very much.
Molloy

Return to Theory