default header

Theory

On MMORPGs

Moderator: JC Denton

On MMORPGs

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jun 2009 23:05

Are you aware of any MMORPGs that are not "Action MMORPGs"? It seems to me that these games, by their very definition, since they are multiplayer and operate in real-time, will always have an action element -- and usually a heavy one. There are no turn-based MMORPGs, are there?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 03 Jun 2009 23:53

There are a few according to Wikipedia. I haven't ever heard of any of them before, but turn-based games are pretty niche these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-based_MMORPG
Molloy

Unread postby Worm » 04 Jun 2009 04:09

Neverwinter Nights (1991) had turn-based combat. Movement outside of combat was real-time. I don't know if you'd consider a maximum of 500 simultaneous users to be "massive," though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-ZqmBQ ... re=related

This guy is running it offline, but you can get an idea of how the game plays. If other humans were playing, you'd see a "Waiting for [player name]" message between his combat turns.
Worm

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2009 17:54

Molloy wrote:turn-based games are pretty niche these days

In retard-land maybe. I hear everything is niche over there -- including niches.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby bullethell » 04 Jun 2009 21:49

I can think two good examples of not-Action MMORPGs. First example is Atlantica Online, a free (with item mall) fantasy mmog with a turn-based combat system. Second example is the sci-fi MMORPG Eve Online (pay to play). Its combat is not exactly turn-based but it is not action as well. It has a combat system that every gun (or laser), shield and every other spasechip modules you use has its own attributes that affects the flow of the battle. Victory in an Eve Online battle requires you to do the right set up of your battleship and the right moves during the fight.

The most exciting thing about Eve Online is its netcode architecture, all the players log in and play on a single server, meaning that 40 thousands and more players play at the same time in the same server. There are 43854 players playing as I am typing this post.
bullethell

Unread postby Archonus » 05 Jun 2009 00:49

Bullethell, if a game isn't turn-based then it has to be real-time, doesn't it?
Archonus

Unread postby bullethell » 05 Jun 2009 01:16

True, but EVE is not an action MMORPG. When you lock a target there is an attribute that affects the time is needed such a simple action to be executed. Nearly every action requires an activation time or the exact number of points of your ship's available powergrid or CPU. Even when you simple fire an enemy or another player (during PVP) it feels like a turn-based battle. Note that you don't have the complete control of your ship and every action (navigation, combat etc) is menu-driven. In contrast, the upcoming sci-fi MMOG Jumpgate Evolution will feature an action battle system.

To conclude, EVE Online is not a turn-based game. But it is not an action MMOG either so I mentioned it as Icy asked for a few not-action MMOGs.
bullethell

Unread postby NegativeSum » 05 Jun 2009 02:27

I've played the trial period of EVE and have to agree with bullethell's assessment. Here's what I experienced of the game:

Inside space stations: This is literally nothing but navigating menus. If you are not flying a ship, you are in a menu.

Travel: You never directly control your ship. All movement is of the form "select x object, choose a menu command to fly to that object, then wait for your ship to arrive," whether the object in question is halfway across the galaxy or on the same screen as you are.

Mining: Similar story, select asteroid, use menu command to approach asteroid, activate mining laser, wait for ship to finish mining.

Combat: Combat was, in my experience, nothing but menu selections. At the lowest level, you select the enemy, direct your ship to orbit at optimal firing distance, choose the lock target command, click your weapon to activate it, then wait for the battle to end. Eventually you get upgrades that add a little more to combat. Things like "click a button to spend extra power to boost your defensive shields" probably make combat more interesting, but in an "I'm playing an RTS but with one unit" kind of way.

The tutorial hints that your character is supposed to be issuing orders to a crew rather than operating anything himself, which fits the control scheme perfectly.

----------

I haven't personally played Yohoho Puzzle Pirates but it seems to mostly be a combination of puzzle minigames and turn based combat.
NegativeSum

Return to Theory