default header

Games

[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Moderator: JC Denton

[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Jul 2009 19:48

This will be the one that plays itself.

It says there'll be a four-player simultaneous mode.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Unread postby El Chaos » 08 Jul 2009 17:23

icycalm wrote:This will be the one that plays itself.

... You know what, for a moment I thought you were just doing a funny remark on the game's apparent lack of challenge, but it seems that that really IS the case:

http://ds.gamespy.com/articles/100/1001883p1.html

Bryn Williams wrote:IGN wrote a news piece yesterday which detailed potential plans by Nintendo to include the new Demo Play functionality in future DS games. Last month, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto talked with USAToday saying that the upcoming Wii title New Super Mario Bros. Wii sports a mode that allows gamers to skip entire sections of the game if they want by having the CPU take over control of the characters.

The new article comes from a piece Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper who refers to the Auto Play feature as "Skip Functionality."

Referring to the feature as "Skip Functionality," the paper said Monday that following its debut in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Nintendo plans on bringing the feature to other titles, focusing mostly on high speed action games.

Wii isn't the only platform that Nintendo is targeting for the feature. The paper states that the company is also looking into compatibility for its portable platforms. This presumably means DS.

Will DS and Wii gaming get exponentially easier in the future? Of course it will be the player's choice to use such a feature, but temptation might get the better of us.

Grinding? Actually playing your games?

Man, that's SO out!

Via http://www.mundialgamer.com/wii/nintend ... t1622.html
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jul 2009 00:20

Chaos, could you possibly fit any more links to worthless blogs into a single newspost? "Mundial Gamer said that GameSpy said that IGN said that USATOFUCKINGDAY said that aaaaaaaaaaargh!"

Jesus Christ dude.

Don't touch it -- leave it as it is. Just, in the future, have some respect for people's time for christsake -- that entire post makes my head spin.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jul 2009 18:51

Demo Play discussion spun off here:

http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=2947
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 14 Oct 2009 17:24

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Dec 2009 23:03

linko9 wrote:Also, NSMBWii, despite having a stupid name, is just as hard if not harder than SMW or SMB3, and if anyone found it to be "retardedly easy," I would like to buy your gaming skills.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p536880

Interesting, if true.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Mathis » 05 Jan 2010 20:42

If it's worth anything, the first time I played this game I plowed through to the ending without ever continuing. The only parts I liked were a few later levels, the final battle, and the interactive credit sequence. The propeller suit made the game really easy for me.
Scratch.
Mathis

Unread postby MjFrancis » 07 Jan 2010 06:19

I played through the entire game in two-player co-op and never had to use a continue. Demo play never came up, either! That’s not to say I didn’t die on a regular basis, but extra lives aren’t terribly difficult to come by, and are even easier to farm. Some of the earlier levels can be played for two minutes and yield six or so lives if you feel you are in a bind.

Playing with someone else definitely adds some challenge to the game. A second player steals your power-ups, knocks you into enemies, and competes for limited platform space. They might even throw you in a lava pit for shits and giggles. But it also allows one player to die mid-level and continue momentarily, so long as the other player is competent enough to stay alive.

Bubbling made the game easier still. If you are in a bind, just bubble and let the other player go through the motions. If both of you bubble at the same time, the only consequence is restarting the level sans power ups – all lives are intact!

Even with all the handouts, I still restarted levels quite often, especially in the last worlds (and one uniquely infuriating ice world level). My wife has never heard me swear so much!
MjFrancis

Return to Games