default header

Games

[AC] [VAR] [360] [PS3] Final Fight

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] [VAR] [360] [PS3] Final Fight

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2009 21:18

XBLA and PSN port titled "Final Fight: Double Impact", featuring what looks like the most amazing upscaling solution for low-res 2D games yet:

http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/zbxe/1338168

It even adds screen curvature, lol! Unbelievable stuff.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby El Chaos » 04 Dec 2009 04:39

Quite impressive, indeed.

The filtering looks like some kind of 2×SaI or hqx thing rather than plain interpolation, though. Maybe the developers were afraid that it'd look unacceptably rough otherwise (by the ignorant mob's standards, I mean), let's hope they allow us to replace it.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Pegote » 04 Dec 2009 14:23

Actually, the other screenshots in the posted link show the game under different filters, or without any filters at all:

Pegote

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Dec 2009 14:32

Oh hey, here's a member of that ignorant mob you were talking about.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Dec 2009 14:50

Or maybe not. It depends on what he meant I guess.

Pegote, the other modes are irrelevant because they are full-screen.

Except if you meant that, because the other modes give you a choice of filters, perhaps the "Cabinet" mode does too.

We'll see I guess. It will be pretty astonishing if they get everything right. If that happens then someone should go back and redo the entire XBLA/PSN classic game catalogue with this engine.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Pegote » 04 Dec 2009 15:35

Yeah, I should've completed that thought.

I wanted to point out the fact that you can choose different visual modes, and made the assumption that they weren't exclusive to the screen size modes; a screenshot from what seems to be a technically similar port of Magic Sword shows the screen size mode on "cabinet" with the visual mode on "smooth" instead of "arcade monitor".

Then again, I just realize that there are no scanlines on this last one. I guess they are only part of the "arcade monitor" mode. Bummer.
Pegote

Unread postby El Chaos » 04 Dec 2009 18:20

The fact that they call the unfiltered, pixelly mode the "Classic" visual mode makes me laugh and realize that these people still don't get it right.

In any case, the two captures icy posted are the only ones that matter, because those two show the only visual mode that doesn't savagely rip apart the game's aesthetics. It'd be nice if they also included a zoom + monitor setting that also kept the curvature, but that gratuitious algorithm-based filtering is still in the way of accurate low-res emulation.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Pegote » 04 Dec 2009 18:56

Yeah, well... At least they didn't call it "retro mode."

I could picture it as a feature in the back of the box: "Experience the exclusive Retro Mode™"
Pegote

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Dec 2009 19:00

lol, indeed.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby joep » 23 Apr 2010 17:42

Here's another lol: http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/ ... _be_in_PSN

Those dipshits at Capcom included draconian DRM on the emulations of 20 year old arcade games. I think I'll use mame instead.
joep

Return to Games