default header

Games

Top 10 Akihabara stores for new games

Moderator: JC Denton

Top 10 Akihabara stores for new games

Unread postby Pongism » 17 Jul 2006 23:07

If you ever do a used list, Alex Kierkegaard, don't mention Super Potato. Instead, substitute G-Front, the arcade board place. No matter how you slice it, it deserves more attention than Super Fuckign Potato.
Pongism

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Jul 2006 11:36

Well, the secondhand game store list will take at least 3-4 months. Whether I mention Super Potato or not depends on if I manage to find 10 stores in Akihabara that do a better job at selling used games than them. I don't know, it will be tricky. The whole goddamn issue of buying used games is tricky, and I am trying to put it off for as long as I can, until I get a better understanding of how it works.

On the other hand, I am planning on doing a feature on stores in Akihabara that sell arcade boards very soon. The first part will focus on Mak Japan and G-Front. I got some nice pictures of those two places last time I was in Tokyo, so all I need is to sit down and right a few words to go with them.

And yeah, I had to get a pen name. Alexander Kierkegaard! How'd you like it?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Pongism » 19 Jul 2006 03:27

I had a pen name once. I can't see how it would have ever been online, so don't bother searching for it... MWA HAHAHAHAHAH!

I guess a big factor is how popular Super Potato has become. Like it's a must-see shop, when all it does it offers isn't that unique or special. Sure the Virtual Boy demo and goofball stuff makes it cool, in a way, I've never had a good conversation with the clerks. They would either avoid my question or ouotright lie to me, like I have no idea about Japanese strategy guides (which I don't).
Pongism

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Jul 2006 11:08

Yeah, they can be assholes. On the plus side, if you've ever wanted to practice your Japanese swearing technique on people who deserve it, you know where to go.

And you can pick up new Virtual Boy games for 300 yen while you are doing it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Mr. Apol » 14 Feb 2007 01:39

i found super potato completely by accident while wandering through akiba by myself one night. i'd honestly never heard of it before. i was trying to find the way back to the JR station and heard the dungeon theme from the original zelda playing and just had to investigate. i remember telling rudy and brendan about it like i had discovered some cool and new amazing place. i was sort of disappointed to find out it was pretty well known.

they showed me friends though, and that was a pretty cool place!
Mr. Apol

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Feb 2007 19:15

Yeah, always that Zelda track. I wonder if they'll ever decide to put something else on.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games