Star Citizen

Cult Citizen

MOST WANTED: Star Citizen & Squadron 42 (PC)

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: PC Star Citizen

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Sep 2023 16:13

"They won't even commit to a decade" has got to be the funniest line in all of gaming. No one said this btw, the guy is just exaggerating, but... it's kinda true lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... &context=3

EasyRiderOnTheStorm wrote:No. Bugger off. We were kinda-sorta expecting to see Pyro land at the end of LAST YEAR (yes, it's a ludicrous concept now - sure wasn't back then). So no Pyro BY THE END OF THIS YEAR is nothing short of a huge middle finger from CIG, as far as I'm concerned. "It will only come next year" is bad enough about <whatever>, "It will come in no year in particular, we won't even commit to a decade" is just FUCK YOU CIG level of nope.

That thread is just the most humongous amount of whining in all of gaming. We're talking the accumulated whining of over a decade! But people just don't understand how much effort has to go into metaverse games, let alone REAL-TIME metaverse games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Sep 2023 21:52

Inside Star Citizen: Design Brief: Cargo Career, Part I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CflyIwqDEsE

You wouldn't think the cargo improvements would be anything amazing, let alone that they'd impact the game and the screenshots coming out of it THIS much. But take a look at this video, especially toward the end where they show being able to snap to the cargo grid any item, including loose stuff like ammo etc. You'll even be able to put ground vehicles inside boxes inside ships inside larger ships inside capital ships!

And the personal hangars with the couches and TVs and parties!

Incredible stuff. The videogame industry has no idea of the steamroller that's preparing to flatten it. They think Starfield is a modern game lmao.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2023 03:43

SQ42: What pill can you handle; the red or the blue?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... r-the-blue

S1rmunchalot @S1rmunchalot wrote:If you have immersed yourself in the CIG-counter culture (for periods I have), know where they originate from, you might piece together that a certain 'tug of war' strategy has been going on. Certain parties have been warned, in person, that although no strict measures against Star Citizen 'activity' not sanctioned or occasioned by CIG have been imposed, they will come down heavily on any delving into Squadron 42. They have been told very clearly, according to their own words, don't go there. Keep off the grass or else. Of course they communicate this to their followers that CIG is simply refusing to communicate anything, when that is not the case.

The upshot of this is several-fold:
Chris doesn't have the naïveté toward the community that he once had because of that 'element' within the community. Having your family publicly accused of being mentally unstable in the public press tends to make someone less naïve. Knowing there are those out there who will go to such lengths is something to take seriously. It doesn't matter what he says, someone will use it to suit their own agenda. What is surprising (to me at least) is that Sandi has not lost that sense of loyalty and willingness 'to please' those who have supported the project. Go check out Astropub's last interview with her.

The employees at CIG are also aware of this 'line in the sand', and they have much to lose if they mistakenly cross it. Going on camera, especially a live show, or engaging with community members at live events and socials can be nerve-racking for them. I've talked to them in person, they are desperate to share, even the very senior staff, but they are very very careful about what they say mostly because while a feature is in the R&D stage, or has not yet made it into the game successfully they, like any developer, can't guarantee that feature.

The group responsible for all that negative press and attitude, who now having been warned off - even though they have knowledge beyond the average community members - they won't touch the subject of Squadron 42 except to speak in broad terms which are generally critical. This also has several effects.

1. They are not using that knowledge (which they gained via illicit means) to go through what CIG have made public and steer people toward looking closer and gaining a better understanding. Again, we have been given a lot more information than people generally realise, it's just a hassle when you tell people and have them constantly insist you have to have 'Proof' you're willing to post publicly, 'You've drunk the Koolade!', or even just an insistence on constant provision of sources, the backlog of which is huge, going back a decade ffs... only to still have it be dismissed with 'That was years ago!, 'Chris lies!' There is no reasoning with that attitude, why should anyone bother?

2. They also admit that a minority very vocal element within their own ranks ("who just want to cause mischief" according to their own statements) has sway enough within that group to shut down anything that might be seen as even slightly positive about the project - and Chris in particular. You talk about a religion? You ought to hang out in some of those corners to see what a cult really behaves like.

For those who pay attention, and let's face it deep scrutiny and theory-crafting goes on in just about any other gaming community about unreleased projects - it's all part of the fun, there is a lot more information than people think there is. You just have to take the time to piece it together, while you park the cynicism. But... why bother going through the huge amount of information to piece things together to help anyone struggling to understand the real scope of the project? When you know that if you do you'll get descended upon by those whose only aim is to aggressively shut down anything that might sway people's opinions toward a more positive view? These people aren't mindless idiots, they know how to work the system. They know how to keep a subject on the frontpage or push a subject off the frontpage, they know how to get a thread locked and shut down. It happens almost every weekend, certainly when major patches or events are coming.

Chris Roberts is by far the biggest leaker of spoilers about Squadron 42 and if you pay attention you'll see that he specifically answers some of the 'burning questions', if you do go through with a fine-toothed comb all the information we've been given you'll be surprised about what we already know, but he does it in a way that if you aren't paying attention (or if you don't have the wit to piece it together) you'll miss it. He likes to play that game. I've spoken to him in person and watched him answer other people's questions in person, he likes to give cryptic clues, he does it all the time. He remembers what he's 'put out there' and he doesn't repeat information he's already given. I don't particularly agree with this approach because as Jared says 'It's always somebody's first time' and the majority of the community don't have the time or inclination to trawl through all the previous information.

Chris does play games where you can simply 'Leeerrrooooyyy Jeeennnkkiinns' your way through, but they aren't the type of games he likes the most, he likes games where you have to figure things out, look for the less obvious alternatives, he prefers games like Dark Souls... and that is what he making... it's also his approach to communicating what he is making. He has more respect for those who follow the project closely and use their intelligence than those who simply stand on a platform, stamp their feet and yell - drowning out those with the more nuanced informed and incisive inquiries.

He is not infallible. He makes his own choices and doesn't expect everyone to agree with them. I don't agree with some of the choices he makes... but it's not my game you'll be playing is it? People greatly underestimate the impact this community has on this project - ALL sections of the community.

Bah @Bah wrote:I think I'll wait for the movie adaptation of this post

S1rmunchalot @S1rmunchalot wrote:If you think my post is long and detailed, just wait until you see what's coming with Squadron 42 E1. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Apparently SQ42 is merely the first chapter of a trilogy. I only recently heard about this lol. Can't give a source for this info, it was in a random Reddit reply.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Farewell, Port Olisar

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2023 20:44

That's my Cutlass Black landed on Port Olisar, and me gazing at Crusader. Never been there before, believe it or not. Went there just now for a quick trip because they'll give you a commemorative badge on Spectrum if you do so before the station is decommissioned with 3.20. If you want the badge, I suggest you go asap because the update may happen any moment now.

It really is a special station as everyone says it is. Being able to just walk out to the landing pads in the shadow of a gas giant... there's no other game that can do this, and none of the other claustrophobic stations come close. That said, I don't mind the claustrophobic stations because they're mere rest and refuel stops that are SUPPOSED to be that way. That's what highway rest stops feel like in reality too. But it was nice to have a different station. They have said they'll bring it back in some capacity, however.

The next best station now is Kareah, in my opinion, because it also has open landing pads you can walk on, and what's more you can even fight there, so in that respect I'd say it's even better than Olisar. The interior is also very cool, and the added crimestat-hacking mechanics give a unique experience. We really should be going there more often.

Lots of people have made farewell PO videos in the last few days. This is one of the better ones I've come across:

Port Olisar Farewell Edit 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6kXgNRGnuc

@saosaoldian6742 wrote:Well done! You used the music from the original “Imagine” fan trailer if I’m not mistaken from a thousand years ago. Very well played. This is my favorite PO memorial vid. Thanks.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Sep 2023 21:01

Port Olisar, our cosmic star, In your presence, we've traveled far. Memories etched in space and time, Farewell, dear friend, in this cosmic rhyme. #PortOlisar #StarCitizen #FarewellStation
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... sence_weve

A final salute at Port Olisar
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... ort_olisar

Farewell Port Olisar. My old friend.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... Ucv6qiucyA

KNEBEL @KNEBEL wrote:On Sept. 10, 2023, we gave our first space station in Star Citizen, Port Olisar, a proper farewell with a fleet show.

Show me another game where players do this.

P.S. The reason for the decommission: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... ayer_event

Vyken27 wrote:Why did they remove it?

vortis23 wrote:It was incompatible with the way they want to run server meshing because it's using deprecated object container code. So as part of a multi-quarter tech debt sprint, it was removed along with all of the old UGFs, and replaced with better optimised code.

planetes1973 wrote:The excuse is that it's one of the oldest objects in the game and is far behind the current design standards and optimization. It was our home when we started playing the PU at 2.0.

Ideally they're rebuilding it using current tech and it'll look nearly the same and put it back in. Either way the new Seraphim station is the primary orbital port for Crusader now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Star Citizen Alpha 3.20 - Fully Loaded

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Sep 2023 18:04

Official Page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... lly-Loaded

Patch Notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... Alpha-3200

CIG wrote:Dive Into Explosive Action Across a Seamless Universe
09/19/2023 - 5:30 PM

Head into the 'verse to explore the most action-packed update yet. Whether you're hauling vital cargo the length of the system, tackling alien hordes, exploring new locations, or risking it all for a place on the podium, Alpha 3.20 is packed with new adventures.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rt5sH ... XVyolQO3wj

At first I didn't get the trailer and it seemed disjointed to me, but on second viewing I got it. It juxtaposes the Hull C owner getting his cargo peacefully loaded with the scenes of frantic action from the Fury LX racing and simulator updates. It's not the best trailer they've made recently, but it's good. It showcases well the breadth of the new content.

But the best part about it is the wit.

@poposterous236 wrote:"Seamlessly across worlds"

I see what you did there

Everyone's saying that's a jab at Starfield.

@Dolfinator wrote:Anyone else feel like "Fully loaded" and "Seamlessly between worlds" is a dig at Starfield and its numberous loading screens? xD

The entire patch is called "Fully Loaded" lol. It's a double entendre because of the Hull C, but it's clearly about Starfield too. There's more wit going into CIG's mere JOKES than in Bethesda's ENTIRE BACK CATALOGUE. That's what clear intelligence superiority looks like.

See you in the verse, soldiers. O7
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Sep 2023 21:25

Inside Star Citizen: Design Brief: Cargo Career, Part II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51OYxWHZaI

First off you have to watch the video to see the scene where that group with the rare armors in the thumbnail slow-walks away from something. It's like a movie. I love also the exclusive gold gun one of them is holding. My character will be decked out like that in ultra-exclusive gear and using ultra-exclusive vehicles for the entire game. I'll be the most stylish guy in the verse, exactly as in reality. Only Star Citizen is complex enough to reflect my coolness. Brilliant.

Now as to the substance of the video (actually style is substance, but yeah), the megaton announcement is that hangars will be "the first real-estate that the players will own". No date is given, but based on what they're saying I would estimate the optimistic scenario at 6-9 months, the realistic scenario at about a year, and the pessimistic scenario at 2 years.

Lots of things we don't know yet about the hangars, including whether they'll be buyable with real cash. Interestingly, every vehicle you buy with cash comes with a hangar, so that means I have about 18 hangars right now. So will they give me 18, or will they give me just the largest one? And why would anyone buy just a hangar when you get it for free with a vehicle? So it doesn't seem like they can sell hangars, unless they make even cooler ones than those sold with the biggest ships and sell them separately. Either way, they'll find a way to sell tons of accessories for hangars, I am sure.

So then the question becomes what's the next type of real-estate coming after hangars? From my extensive research on the subject I would say apartments are coming next, and outposts (i.e. bases) after. I would put at least a year between releases, so a fairly realistic scenario would be hangars in one year, apartments in two, and bases in three. By that point SC will have raised at least a billion or two. At some point there will be an explosion when the midwits realize what they're missing out on while playing their Game Boy Color invisible wall games, and then the game will be making a billion a year and Chris Roberts will spin up another five or ten studios. Every good developer will be working for CIG. The best already do.

The video also goes quite a bit into the whole physicalized inventory mechanics. It seems they want to make absolutely every item in the game physically stored at a location, so that it can be stolen, especially when transported.

@skewty wrote:The painful inventory experience is a great way to reduce likelihood that loot goblins will maintain massive collections of random items they are unlikely to use. They'll have to choose between being a warehouse manager or playing the game... I kinda like it!

You underestimate loot goblins my friend. Oh how you underestimate us. Being a warehouse manager IS the game for us.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Sep 2023 02:53

Gotta appreciate that humor lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... _humor_lol

People have been trying to make a good videogame show since at least the mid-'90s.

No one has accomplished it. All the shows were contrived, boring and short-lived.

And Chris Roberts one day just did it without even really trying. Without it even being his main focus or specialty.

"Inside Star Citizen" is the best videogame show of all time. I watch it every Thursday religiously. Not once, but twice on the Thursday, and then multiple more times over the following weeks and months. I refresh the SC YouTube channel at least half a dozen times before the show is published, every Thursday without fail. I watch it on my phone if I am not at home, and then again on the computer when I get home. It is the highlight of my Thursdays. Sometimes the highlight of my week. When they take a month off every quarter, I feel it.

And all it shows is a single game lol.

But that game is the best game ever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2023 21:47

Star Citizen OST | Uplifting Mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3sE05RIFXQ

Qohen Leth wrote:After extracting the entire soundtrack from the game directory, I sorted these hundreds of music and ambient files according to their mood. Here is a first mix (semi-shuffle, simple fade in/out); I will probably upload a few other mixes to make available the complete soundtrack to Star Citizen.

All rights belong to CIG.

Which game has the best soundtrack?

Alex Kierkegaard's Battlegrounds of course. It's not even close: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... dxs6n5fjrj

And then second is Planetary Annihilation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... vhE6dRtW_w

But the third-best?

Yeah.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Sep 2023 21:37

They will shows us a new Dynamic Event on Thursday! And it arrives this year!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... ar-Citizen

Lénaïc "Nicou" Riédinger, Community Manager wrote:On Thursday, we're chatting with members of the Mission Feature team in Inside Star Citizen. They will tell you everything about a new mission type and a Global Event coming later this year.

The phrasing makes it sound as if the new mission type will be the basis of the event. Maybe it'll be the racing event they briefly mentioned months back. If so it'll probably involve combat like the Daymar Rally.

And since it's coming this year, it'll be a Stanton event. I was expecting to hear of a Pyro event during CitizenCon because they'll probably have one for Pyro's launch, but now hearing of another event coming so close, I am not so sure about Pyro.

In other news they seem to be rebranding Dynamic Events to Global Events. Which makes some sense because these events aren't dynamic, though they're meant to be eventually; for now the devs have to manually turn them on and off. But on the other hand, these events aren't global either, going at least by the literal definition of a globe. And when Pyro comes out, they'll be even less global. But anyway.

Can't wait for Thursday. A new Star Citizen event is basically a new videogame.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2023 02:38

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... experience

sexual_pasta wrote:I had an incredible Wake of Disaster experience last night

I'm in a moderate sized org, sometimes we have a lot of people on, sometimes just one or two.

Last night I took Wake with just one orgmate, I'm in a Caterpillar for looting, he's in an Ion for escort. He gets there before me and gets attacked by a Vanguard Warden. I decide to stop and get a Fury to help contest the site since we're not the only group but he gets killed while I'm fucking around loading up.

We regroup outside of WoD, he jumps in, I follow 30 seconds later and use his cover to dismount the Fury. After some fighting we're able to chase off the escort Warden and we soft death the cargo ships at the scene, this is an A2 and a Constellation Taurus that wasn't being loaded that we neutralize. They killed my idle Caterpillar during the fight so we're just sitting there, guarding the site and frantically pinging Discord for backup and a cargo ship.

While waiting we see that the soft-dead A2 has like 25 SCUs of Weevil eggs, which should sell for over 3M aUEC! Eventually we get two more people to join, one with a C2 and one in a Cutlass Blue so that we can stop the Vanguard from escaping (he's been continuing to skirmish against us but retreating when he takes damage).

The enemies return with a solo Scorpius in addition to the Vanguard, and shortly into the fight our Cutty Blue arrives. We're able to quantum suppress and kill the Scorpius, the Vanguard jumps out and we realize we're over 100km from the mission.

Suddenly a message pops in global: "Good fights guys, but you let us take the goods!" Sure enough, we head back and the A2 has been stripped of the Weevil eggs.

Surveying the rest of the wreck site we notice another box of eggs on the float, it's a big 16 SCU box, and another 8 SCU box. Our C2 shows up and we load what we can, a bit bummed that we lost what was in the A2, but glad to get something that they missed because they were in a rush.

As we finish up loading we're all floating around, shooting the shit, just chatting, when we get four or five new contacts, including at least two Cutlass Blues! We scramble and gtfo with the loot that we grabbed, which we safely sell. Between the eggs and some miscellaneous drugs we netted about 4M.

This kind of multiplayer back and forth is so cool. It's really awesome, that right there is the dream of SC for me! It's also incredible that while we were better pilots than our foes, they were able to get a good amount of cargo out of the mission via deception, skirmishing, and diversionary tactics. It felt like two packs of animals fighting over a dead antelope lol.

Koaku, CIG Lead Designer wrote:This is an amazing read!

It's exactly the experience we wanted to create when we built this! Thank you so much for sharing.

zombienerd1 wrote:As long as you guys don't nerf the loot tables, these kinds of stories will be regular.

Wake was previously never a priority, mostly because there was safer ways to get the same amount of RMC, and the cargo wasn't that lucrative. There just wasn't a good enough reason to go. With the current spawn rates, it's another "get rich quick" point like Ghost Hollow; one that everyone will scramble to jump on whenever possible and big fights will happen often. I hope to see it continue!

mecengdvr wrote:This game really comes alive with multiplayer.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2023 18:15

Denser forests and more! Improved Microtech 3.20 4k HDR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0w_zt-l26k

Incredible. And this isn't even Pyro lol. Pyro btw will be the greatest level in gaming history. I'll have an entire chapter in the VGART essay about that. But for now, feast your eyes on microTech (which isn't even all of Stanton, it's just one planet).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Oct 2023 14:01

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... &context=3

V_I_C_T_U_S wrote:I don't get the money thing. It's a lot, but over a 10 year period? Not really. Many other games make at least that in a year and offer far less imo. 45 dollars gets you in, and SC is absolutely worth that even if they were to stop development tomorrow.

The money hoopla is because journalists are financially illiterate.

vortis23 wrote:Yup, I consistently have to remind people that every FIFA release, each year, makes double what CIG accrued over the course of ten years.

Electronic Arts makes in three weeks what it took CIG a decade to generate.

And what CIG accrued in ten years, most Call of Duty games make in just three days.

Life on the far-right of the popularity/quality equation: you make a whole lot more with a whole lot less than far inferior creations, or you perish.

UncleMalky wrote:It's also consistently ignored that CIG didn't have 600m over all 10 years. In 2013 it was a couple dozen people in a basement in Austin.

ForeverAProletariat wrote:If star citizen was an investment it would be absolute shit so far because they hardly make a profit. They spend the vast majority of their income on paying devs and other operating expenses.

Tierbook96 wrote:Actually based off their financials even without the minority investment they are positive to the tune of a few million. That may not sound like a lot but for a tech/entertainment company with no finished product it's amazing.

Mr_Roblcopter wrote:A few million when wages run in the millions really isn't that impressive.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Star Citizen Alpha 3.21 - Mission Ready

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Oct 2023 02:39

Official Page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... sion-Ready

Patch Notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... Alpha-3210

CIG wrote:Star Citizen Alpha 3.21: Mission Ready
10/19/2023 - 9:00 AM

With high risk comes great reward, so head into the ‘verse to tackle some of the most dangerous missions yet. From infiltrating abandoned bunkers to restoring peace to a once-idyllic city in the clouds, Alpha 3.21 introduces all-new escapades for pilots of every level. Plus, there’s the latest groundbreaking tech, updated features, quality-of-life updates, and much more.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFpM8kQ ... XVyolQO3wj

@sorecgaming wrote:That outro was the bomb! ;)

Cool trailer as always, though it lasted a bit less than I would have wanted because half of the content in this patch isn't in yet. The vehicle tractor mechanics should have been the highlight feature, but it's scheduled to be added within the next month or so. At any rate I am really looking forward to all the new FPS missions and locations. And the A1 is the bomb. Just briefly tried it thanks to my sub, and it's the coolest, most versatile small military ship in the game now.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: MOST WANTED: Star Citizen & Squadron 42 (PC)

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Oct 2023 17:06

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... _composers

Starlordslittlebro wrote:An Appreciation Post For The Composers

My God, that StarEngine demonstration had, what is quite possibly, one of the best pieces of orchestral music I have heard in a while.

Pedro Camacho is one of those composers that just hits it out of the park again and again and again. His theme "First Light" I had playing on repeat, now I can have that and the StarEngine demo theme back to back.

And Geoff Zanelli, I know we haven't heard as much but those Bagpipes (or Uilleann Pipes) at the reveal of the UEE Navy Fleet gave me goosebumps.

As somebody who works within the entertainment industry particularly Film and TV it is often not a focus of the everyday viewer when audio is done right. Only noticeable when it is terrible.

But when that score is not just good but so amazing everyone has to step back and just clap then you've got their attention.

I even saw a comment on Asmongold's react to StarEngine that simply said, "This is some Hans Zimmer level shit".

Chris has often talked about how he views these games as symphonies themselves. The Origin 600i theme is literally titled "A Symphony In Motion" and in their 'Hold The Line' video Hannes Appell (Director of Cinematics) is quoted as saying,

"And we make sure our Cinematics are triggering as fluid as we can craft them; so they form a coherent concerto with the rest of the players narrative experience"

The whole of Star Citizen's music gives the feel of majesty, awe and scale. It is integral to the visuals themselves and I have loved every single track.

I can't wait to hear more from both of these composers, but once again just.... wow... well done.

FN1980 wrote:Funny they mentioned Zimmer as Zanelli was pretty much brought up by him.

chachi_sanchez wrote:There was 1 video the entire weekend that somehow didn't get music put behind it in the background during citcon that I remember.

I remember it vividly because of how dead quiet the giant 4k + people auditorium felt when watching it. Every video had music in the background till that one and it is jarring how much the music is actually carrying the entire citizencon as a whole.

bmt22033 wrote:I've e-mailed Pedro before to tell him how much I appreciate his music for the game and he has always taken the time to reply which is awesome. You can find his contact info on his website @ https://musicbypedro.com/ if you want to e-mail him.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Oct 2023 18:05

The intro to the Star Engine demo hit me right in the nostalgia and I'm sure I'm not alone
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... e_right_in

I admit I didn't remember this. And that's because:

Jojonbu wrote:It hit almost as hard, as the realization Wing Commander came out 33 years ago.

Zelstrom wrote:I just had my 30th anniversary of owning a PC, Wing Commander was one of the first game I played on it.

It was the first game I played on my new 286, but I had an 8086/XT before it. I bought the 286 specifically for Wing Commander. No one knows how to sell PCs like Chris Roberts.

OldHoustonGuy wrote:Same ... just migrated to the PC from an Amiga in that timeframe and Wing Commander was also one of the early games I played.

Same here. Chucked my A500 for the 286, for Wing Commander and VGA games in general.

StaticGuard wrote:I remember begging my dad to buy an additional 4MB of RAM so I could finally play it. WC2 ran smoothly but WC3 was on a whole other level.

God I miss those days of gaming.

Same now with people upgrading from 16 GB to 32 for Star Citizen.

jeffyen wrote:you probably tweaked your autoexec.bat and config.sys? ;p

I read a damn BOOK on how to do it. You had to have a certain amount of base memory free to run the biggest games, and this was separate from your total memory. So even if you had 4 or 8 MB total memory, only the first 640k mattered for the purposes of being allowed to launch the game at all, so you had to play Tetris with those 640k to get the required free memory. 90% of people playing games today would not have been able to even launch Wing Commander lol, let alone play it.

eriksrx wrote:My wife constantly reminds me of the time I convinced her to buy 4MB of RAM @ $50/MB. Hey Win95 ended up running way better so don't complain, lady!

StaticGuard wrote:It’s mind-boggling how much memory used to cost back in the day. Imagine 32gb in 1994? Would’ve been like $1.5m!

logicalChimp wrote:And largely worthless... the 16bit controllers back then couldn't address that much memory :D

late2scrum wrote:Soon we are gonna say the star engine trailer is closer to the wing commander release date than star citizen's release date lol that would be crazy.

He got downvoted for this but I found it funny. Would have upvoted him but I am banned for a week for spamming org invites.

Jasticus wrote:They did it at the very end of the video too. The star icon that replaced the letter I in the Star Engine name is damn close to the same star used for Origin Systems and the Confederation in Wing Commander.

Another reference I missed but I totally see it now.

golgol12 wrote:I didn't remember the Wing Commander intro. I know I played through both WC1 and 2. The only thing I remember is that you could scroll an asteroid off the screen so you couldn't see it and it vanished from existence.

Zeresec wrote:Wing Commander was a few years before my time so I had absolutely no clue what that intro was about, thanks for the context.

CascadiaKaz wrote:this video has the intro (WC1) that is being referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnF2oZPCBS0

this has the updated (WC2) version https://youtu.be/E9bsZDVA4YA?si=Of1Z94TProNcgSI8

Xjph wrote:The lucky few who had Roland sound hardware (or those of us in the modern age who play it with an MT-32 emulator for sound) got a much better sounding version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyJqLxjUpyg

I never got around to owing a Roland sound card. I had an AdLib and then successive Sound Blasters. The Roland was the Rolls-Royce of sound cards, and though it was on my list, I always had higher priorities, like multiple consoles etc. to spend money on on top of upgrading the PC every couple of years.

ProphetoftheOnion wrote:I think I've heard those first few seconds before... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCSQDhPOlk

Draiko wrote:CIG has been peppering SC and SQ42 with Wing Commander (and other Origin games) nostalgia since the very beginning and I love it.

Also, I feel old now.

Delnac wrote:Oh so that's what they were going for. It felt like a strange intro!

NeverLookBothWays wrote:If you watch closely they pretty much do a nod to Wing Commander every year. Another one I remember was the crashed ship nod here: https://imgur.com/DGXxGO9

I was watching the old ship commercials, when suddenly... Wing Commander III!
https://imgur.com/DGXxGO9

ScionoicS wrote:I felt it. The heart in this project is real. It's beating so hard. Like a fucking hammer.

Martinmex26 wrote:Look at what you did, now we are going to have to start passing the apple sauce, prune juice and helping over steps all the OGs that you brought out.

deadering wrote:Honestly as someone who never played Wing Commander I thought that part was super random. It makes a lot more sense now!

It's not random, it's literally an opera in space, because the genre of the singleplayer campaign is "space opera". I talk about this a lot in my Wing Commander VGART essay. The opera is precisely the difference between WC and flight/space sims.

Owl_Eyes_Alpha wrote:"Gender swap!" Reeeeeeee

Yeah... At least it's not a negro.

Manta1015 wrote:Yeah, saw that too, there's like 30+ Wing Commander / Origin / classic EA references throughout what we've seen in the verse, ship commercials and presentations.

I'm sure there'll be dozens more in SQ42 that they've let marinate for some years now.

sc-trading wrote:Fun fact: Wing Commander's original title pre-release was "Squadron".

oneeyedziggy wrote:I'm jealous of all the people who were old enough and or well-off enough to play the original games and get this crazy fantasy to come true...

The real magic of SC is, Chris still has the wide eyed passion of an 8-12yr old me before the cynical teen years, and some combination of the money and ignorance to get away with demanding the impossible and getting his way...

You just don't do things "for real" in games... It's too computationally expensive when you get 80% of the way there for 20% of the effort... But he wants to be 100% of the way there... And it's amazing that enough other people want it enough to bankroll the absurd vision of "physicalize everything" that it's happening.

This guy nailed it, and he could have been talking about me and every aspect of my life and every project of mine.

Deckracer wrote:Gronkh, the at one time biggest German YouTuber and streamer, remembered immediately xD The way he was like "OMG I know this scene!"

That's impressive if true. Either he has a better memory than mine, or he's played fewer games/had fewer experiences in the time since.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Nov 2023 17:54

Pyro Clinic (Star Citizen Pyro Technical Preview)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnywx4gFsMI

Don't miss this video. The still image doesn't do it justice. Best video I've seen in months. Next-level shit.

Felt like I was in a cutscene as I limped my way back into the clinic
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... ped_my_way

Xcrun6 wrote:The atmosphere of pyro is unmatched, loving the new system so far

oneeyedziggy wrote:the reason I like SC is never being trapped in a cutscene... I don't have positive associations with cutscenes, but maybe if they just make the game legitimately gorgeous and dramatic, they won't have to resort to ripping your controls away to shove a movie in your face every half hour or so...

Allaroundlost wrote:Or that closeup face to face forced view for conversations BGS did in Starfield. Oh man is that off putting.

NomSTee wrote:And that's called immersion! One of the many reasons people absolutely love star citizen, when literally gameplay feels like you're watching a cutscene or a movie.

oneeyedziggy wrote:feels better b/c it's just the game, and it's YOU... not some doppelganger the devs recorded puppeting a higher-detail version of your body

StressedOutElena wrote:The lighting is so on point and that's still with the ol' system. Absolutely bonkers.

Haunting_Champion640 wrote:Yeah SC has areas with phenomenal lighting. The problem is it requires a TON of manual work to fake lighting this good. Once they can depend on RT (with a software fallback) the setup time will be drastically reduced.

djsnoopmike wrote:This game will look freaking insane with raytracing

cyress8 wrote:Love that you were able to limp your way back. Higher TTK they introduced finally allows us to survive a bit for the medical gameplay to actually kick in. Doing the stolen material mission while my chest completely fucked, overdosed on meds, and wildly shooting my FS-9 because my vison was blurred from the medicine along with struggling to breath was one the best fps rundowns I've had in the game in quite a while.

Fuck people that want shorter TTK. Shit was on another level.

Covertgamr wrote:Your video brings up a huge positive point for me about the pyro changes: increased health pool.

What I’ve seen so far is that the increased health pool amplifies the entire injury system. Meaning you can have a tier 3 head, tier 3 chest, tier 3 leg (52% max health) and still make it back. It has been awesome seeing our team stumble and crawl their way back to the med beds.

Fidbit wrote:seriously how how do the devs imagine people living like this just because it is lawless lol

vortis23 wrote:It's like this in real life in various war-torn nations and regions. Have you seen the Monrovia slums? Actually looks worse than Pyro and that's here on Earth.

Beakman has to go through this every day for his breakfast taco.

ThaFiggyPudding wrote:Are you running reshade?

Xcrun6 wrote:No! Not even HDR!

WeazelBear wrote:I'm preeetty sure I was watching you here lol. Did you pass up the terminal at first and go back to call the room? I came to the door and watched as you hobbled to the bed. Or at least an exact scenario and same room. Really looked like a movie from my POV as well.

Xcrun6 wrote:Upon reviewing my video, I went straight to the terminal

WeazelBear wrote:Ah, ok. I watched someone else limp into that same pod and watching them limp through the lighting, and specifically that last light where it really highlights the player... just amazing.

Goodname2 wrote:the subtle wheezing as you breath is on point too, seeing as you have a tier 3 chest injury

MGThanatos wrote:I really hope the murderhobos get discouraged enough for SAR orgs like ours to actually be able to do our jobs. I'm really looking forward to doing refueling/medical service work (as long as I'm not being shot for no reason)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Nov 2023 01:54

Imagine: Star Citizen 2023 Remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3xA2T22jf0

Cognition Corp wrote:A fan remake of the 2015 "Imagine" Star Citizen trailer

Original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY

Goddamn. What a time to be alive.

Fans remake this video every few years. Apparently the original inspired many to pledge. You can see a bunch of remakes of it here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... en+imagine

Added it to Ultimate Trailer Ranking.

Some comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... 023_remake

Dragonskater575 wrote:Feels kinda unreal to see this with new footage. Really puts everything into perspective and makes it so much more apparent how far CIG has come.

Lovely vid and well edited!

Smudge490 wrote:Goddamn this was brilliant, both in what you have created and in how much this shows how far we have come, I thought how fitting it would be to have the new Syulen at the end and there it was! Damn near made me tear up! Fantastic work man.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2023 04:25

My first Spectrum thread lol. It's only a few minutes old and it's already blowing up: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... os/6447475

Nurseman @Nurseman wrote:I prefer to understand that CR, everyone in CIG and even some people on spectrum are human.

imperfect wonderful humans

we don’t need to form a cult and pretend CR can do no wrong or make mistakes

Bah @Bah wrote:Well, his name quite literally starts with CULT, at least he is consistent

Grammaton @Grammaton wrote:So... You "know" CR but just came around in 2023 to joining in on his next project after you played all his previous titles on release?

I figured if you felt so admirably for his previous titles...you'd have been an early Backer when they first launched live on Kickstarter..or at least within the first year of backing after the KS ended?

I wrote:I stopped playing his games when FPSes were invented and he failed to move into them. I am writing an essay why he stayed away from FPSes. It's the reason his star declined in the industry. But eventually he came back and utterly dominated the FPS genre. I am calling the essay, "The Greatest Comeback in Gaming".

Severin Grimm @SeverinGrimm wrote:I would like to read that honestly.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2023 18:09

They locked the thread lol because it was too "polarizing". icycalm still enraging midwits with practically every word he speaks. Still, one guy's reply made the whole thread worth it. There were other smart replies, but this one takes the cake.

Hal Endor @HalEndor wrote:There is a difference between forming a cult and acknowledging someone's work history. It's a simple statement of fact that CR (as well as Tony Z, just to expand the scope a bit) have been building games that have set the standards in their genres since the 1980's. These guys are OGs in the field. And the mission statement of this project is a direct rebuke to what a lot of people argue is the source of the biggest problems in the gaming industry. In my observation, this tends more likely to be true with gamers who have been gaming for as long as these two have been making games. So, if you're familiar with that history, there's a logical reason to set expectations very high.

And that necessarily means that the other side of OP's statement is true too. If you're not familiar with that history, then what's to lead you to believe that CIG is any different than EA, Ubisoft, Activision or Bethesda? I'd be skeptical too if I hadn't been there to see it first hand at the time. So I don't think it's a stretch to argue that the foundation of the project is built on the reputation of these two.

This guy got exactly what I meant, and beautifully elaborated it. Cheers, bud. See you in the verse. O7
icycalm
Hyperborean

VGART: Star Citizen - The Coolest Thing You'll Ever Own

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2023 18:44

CONTENTS
Prologue
The Insomnia Best Game of All Time Award: Star Citizen
Thank you God
"There has never been anything like it"
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Wipe
The Chow Hall Drama
Too Good to be True
The Most Released Game of All Time
The Year of Chris Roberts
The Coolest Thing You'll Ever Own
Star Race, or The Whitest Game Ever
Go On, Play Some More Steam
Citizen Annihilation
The Birth of Quantum Gaming

Like millions of other gamers, for years I didn’t understand why people were throwing so much money at Star Citizen, and how the game was generating its unprecedented crowdfunding returns. When I learned that players were mostly buying spaceships, I became even more befuddled: What would there be left to buy in the game—since it was a spaceship game after all (or at least so I thought at the time)—if they bought everything before even starting playing?

For years this made no sense to me, until I played the game. And even when I started playing, it took a while for me to get it. I remember telling my clan right at the outset to buy the cheapest ships they could so as to leave more to buy later in the game, and therefore enjoy the game longer. I even cringed inwardly when some of them chose to buy the Titan for a few bucks more despite my advice to the contrary: I was sure I’d have more fun than them working up to it in my Mustang.

We played like this, zero-to-hero essentially, for a few weeks, until one day I saw... the Scorpius with the Stinger paint. It was the coolest spaceship I’d ever seen: a stunning mix of X-wing and TIE fighter reimagined for the 21st-century. The design was so versatile that the look of the ship would change between Evil and Good depending on what paint you had on! I had to have it no matter what—and immediately—along with its evilest paint; and when I learned that, at the time, it couldn’t be purchased in the game—and moreover the paint, which basically made the ship for me, would likely never be available in the game—I pulled out my credit card and threw it at the first grey market store that carried it. And once I took the ship on its maiden flight and realized that, far from lessening my excitement to continue playing, it heightened it tremendously, I started buying ships and vehicles left and right, and today I fully plan to one day cash-own every vehicle and piece of gear that will ever be put into the game all the way down to coffee mugs—not to speak of hangars, apartments and base modules, to afford which I am prepared to live in a van down by the river if need be.

But let’s constrain this analysis to ships for the time being. Is there some way of explaining even to the ignorant befuddled gamer that I used to be before playing the game the extraordinary appeal of buying these ships, and especially of buying them with real cashmoney?

I think there is, and this is what I’ll try doing here. But I don’t think anyone will fully get it before playing the game for themselves. It’s like trying to explain the appeal of sex to virgins. Proust himself could write thousands of stunningly illuminating lines on it, but you would still have to do it to fully get it. But, after doing it, I don’t think Proust’s words would have been rendered futile. I think you’d come to understand them, and sex, even more, and more deeply appreciate it—which is the power of criticism, and why Whites read it, and write it.

So to cut, at last, straight to the chase, the reason so many hyperintelligent and hyperdiscerning gamers (Star Citizen has the smartest community in all of traditional gaming) are throwing so much money on these ships is because these ships are THE COOLEST THING THEY’LL EVER OWN—the coolest thing ANY human will ever own in our lifetimes: even Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. Or what? You think either of them owns, or could ever own, anything cooler? Like what? A stadium-sized mansion, for example? But the coolest room in that mansion would be the Star Citizen simpit room lol, and the coolest thing you could do inside the mansion is to dim the lights in that room and play Star Citizen. Same with a superyacht: coolest thing you could do in it is play Star Citizen in the middle of the ocean, and the boat itself would never so much as compare to a Star Citizen ship. It doesn’t even have any guns lol! It’s illegal to mount guns on yachts. Torpedoes? Forget about it. It can’t even leave the water lolz. These guys spend a small nation’s entire GDP to buy a ship that can’t even fly, while SC players own space superyachts with swimming pools and basketball courts that can carry the lovechild of Darth Vader’s and Luke Skywalker’s ships. In Star Citizen we can own capital ships hosting dozens of fighter craft and hundreds of our friends in their own bedrooms with lockers for their guns and armor and with mess halls the size of Bezos’s superyacht. Even MOVIES don’t have ships this cool, or so extensively and painstakingly designed and rendered, and you wonder why people buy them? Are you fucking kidding me?

And that’s not all. That’s not even half of it. Because OUR ships can travel anywhere inside a GALAXY. Where the fuck can Bezos’s superyacht go? Back and forth across the Atlantic? Even if it could go ON THE MOON, THERE IS NOTHING THERE. I mean there are dozens of points of interest on Star Citizen’s every moon and planet, and people are STILL complaining that there aren’t enough things to see and do, so can you imagine if we sent those people on the actual moon where there is literally NOTHING? Mars is the same issue, and the gas giants are even worse. But the gas giant in Stanton has a whole flying city above it which is cooler than any place I’ve ever lived in (and I’ve lived in all the coolest places on Earth). And you’re telling me that for a thousand dollars I can fly my space superyacht there and live there forever?

It’s a steal! It is literally the biggest bargain in the entire history of trading! I’d pay $100,000 for this privilege, let alone one k lol. You must be kidding! And THAT is why some people ARE paying $100,000 in Star Citizen.

So you see, the solution to this riddle has two parts. The one part is simply the coolness of the vehicles themselves. These are hands down the coolest vehicles any of us will experience in our lifetimes. I wouldn’t drive a Lamborghini in Star Citizen even if it were free, because it can’t go anywhere on these wild planets. Even on Earth, a Lambo can only go on roads, and well-maintained roads too, because of its tiny ground clearance. If you drove it in a brown “country” you’d ruin it. Not to mention the locals would pull you out of it and eat you. But a Cyclone with two buddies: you could kill a lot of browns before they got at you. And with a few Atlas Platforms you could take over their “country”. And that’s before you’ve brought in any ships, let alone cap ships that carry enough ordnance to level small cities.

But even beyond that, a Cyclone is simply such a cooler-looking vehicle than a Lambo. There’s no comparison. The super-aggressive styling made for war not touring, the wild science-fictional tyres, the thick leather seats and full-throated engine sound. I’ve been in a Lamborghini, they could take design cues from the Cloud Imperium designers. And you can have a Cyclone for 50 bucks lol. Andrew Tate can keep his Lambo.

Note that I’ve been comparing Star Citizen’s ships with real vehicles, not with videogame ones. I won’t even bother comparing them with videogame ones, because it’d be a ridiculous comparison: the videogame ones are like matchbox toys that Musk’s son would carry in Musk’s Lambo. Every other game vehicle feels like a child’s plastic toy when compared to a Star Citizen vehicle. Halo, Far Cry, PlanetSide, Crysis: forget about it. They aren’t competing at all. I’d gladly take even a cheap used Ford over any videogame vehicle ever. And besides, what would I do with a vehicle inside an invisible wall game like Halo, Far Cry, PlanetSide or Crysis: bump it against the invisible walls until falling asleep from the sheer boredom?

So you can see that the second part of the equation is the environment: it must be open so you can be free in it, enormous so you can keep traveling across it without ever getting bored, and stunning so you can enjoy yourself in it. And Star Citizen’s environment is all three of these things, and it’s the ONLY traditional game for which this is true.

In short, this is the Matrix, it is the promised metaverse that’s better than reality, and of course its vehicles will also be better than real vehicles, so of course people who love vehicles—meaning the high-IQ/high-T straight White males who invented vehicles in the first place—will quickly recognize this and flock to this universe and these vehicles en masse, and throw tons of money at them—some of them practically everything they own.

And of course anyone who isn’t a high-IQ/high-T straight White male will have no idea wtf is going on with this game and these crazy-“expensive” vehicles (they are dirt cheap for what they are), and no use for it, or them. They won’t even be able to get immersed in the game’s world at all, so they’ll quit playing after a couple of sessions—if they even bother to try the game at all—which is the subject I will analyze in the next chapter.

P.S. As for why buy the vehicles with real money when they can (mostly) be purchased in the game: They wipe in-game purchases roughly twice a year, and lie that it’s for technical reasons. This is how the greatest real-time artwork ever is funded: by lies, because humans can’t handle the truth, not even White ones. Well, the rich can handle it, but the poor can’t, and CIG isn’t yet ready to tell the poors to piss off, as I do in my Battlegrounds. So we get lies.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Cozy Citizen

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Dec 2023 04:07

"Lunch is ready guys!"
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... ready_guys

When I grow up I want to be a stay-in-the-ship Star Husbando.

MetaVapour wrote:You may have seen me on here before talking about “Cozy Citizen”, the role-play, and the importance of food and making your ship a home.

• Did it bother me that once sandwiches are bought, they are no longer in a packet? Yes.
  • Did the sandwiches at one point explode and deal physical damage to me? Yes.
  • Have others done this better? Yes.
  • Do I want a storage container at the kitchenette which can store sustenance items for the crew to use? Yes.
  • Did I enjoy setting this up anyway? Yes.

CopperRipper wrote:I do this too but I only eat by myself. I think I am going to set up a dinner table with a bunch of picos to make me feel better.

StarfyreOne wrote:You could always kidnap some NPCs to keep you company.

MisterJackCole wrote:Somehow three NPCs have wandered onto my Hull C and they have yet to leave. Even when I store it and respawn it back, they're still there. It is kinda nice, sort of a pseudo crewed vibe. Now if I could just get them to actually do some work. :P
icycalm
Hyperborean

VGART: Star Citizen - Star Race, or The Whitest Game Ever

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Dec 2023 19:40

CONTENTS
Prologue
The Insomnia Best Game of All Time Award: Star Citizen
Thank you God
"There has never been anything like it"
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Wipe
The Chow Hall Drama
Too Good to be True
The Most Released Game of All Time
The Year of Chris Roberts
Go On, Play Some More Steam
Citizen Annihilation
The Birth of Quantum Gaming

Fair warning: what you’re about to read is the most racist art criticism essay that will ever be written. I offer no excuses or apologies: this is reality, and it’s not for everyone.

So I believe that pretty much every gamer ever would be able to appreciate the insane level of complexity and detail in Star Citizen’s vehicles, if we took them in the game and showed it to them. We had one guy for example—who plays singleplayer campaign games almost exclusively—join us for a couple of sessions, and when we took him to see the Hercules in the Crusader showroom on Orison, you could hear his amazement at the scale and detail of it all coming through our headsets. These are vehicles that get an entire team of developers to work on them for one or more years before they are released—so each vehicle receives more work than entire other games—and our friend and long-time dedicated Insomnia reader, being an experienced hardcore gamer, could see this immediately when we took him there—but we never saw him in the game again after that session. The trailers looked amazing to him, the screenshots I’d been posting looked incredible enough to compel him to join us in the game—even though he’s not a fan of multiplayer—and even the environments and vehicles took his breath away when he encountered them “in the flesh”—and yet he still dropped the game like a wet towel after the introductory sessions. And the question now is why?

In fact Star Citizen has a horrendous bounce rate, in my estimation. I would say fewer than 1/10 people who try it, stick with it even for the medium-term, let alone the long-term. Even more interestingly, many of those who bounce (and as aforesaid, ALMOST EVERYONE bounces) are ECSTATIC about the game in their first sessions. But then... something happens a couple sessions in, and they bounce harder than an overinflated basketball, never to be seen in the game again, or anywhere near it. And, as aforesaid, these aren’t generally casual, clueless gamers; Star Citizen isn’t on Steam and game journlolists hardly ever mention it, and almost never in a good light. Almost everyone who enters their card details on the RSI website is some kind of long-time dedicated gamer, and even they bounce at my anecdotally-derived rate of 90%. So what gives?

There’s no delicate, diplomatic way to put this, so I’ll come straight out with it: What gives is that Star Citizen isn’t a game for normal people, it’s a game for supermen: for humanity’s cream, which basically means for the White race’s cream, because that’s what “humanity” means at the end of the day: it doesn’t mean africans or arabs or latinos, and past a certain point it doesn’t mean asians either—which is why all these races are virtually non-existent in the game, and REALLY non-existent in its development teams (it being 100x harder to work on the game than to play it). Star Citizen is a game for straight White males, and not even for all of them, as even THEY get filtered at a 90% rate (non-Whites get filtered at a 99.9% rate, meaning not one but TWO orders of magnitude worse). All this by the way conforms perfectly to the normal distribution graph of genres and races in my essay on The Popularity vs. Quality Equation.

So what is it about the game that filters practically everyone?

Creativity. It’s the game’s demand that the player create his experience. And since only about 10% of Whites are creative (and practically no non-Whites), that is why the game’s bounce rate is so horrific.

Let us zoom in on and understand exactly what I mean by creativity. I don’t mean autistic “sandbox” garbage like Minecraft which REALLY ARE sandboxes, and therefore stupidly boring (only thing sandboxes are good for in reality is cats pissing and shitting in them, and it’s the same in gaming ones; I hate that fucking term, and I hate that fucking “game”). What I mean by creativity here has two components: 1) Insane mechanical complexity that allows for a bewildering possibility space, and 2) Complete lack of handholding in the usual, tired forms: cutscenes, plotlines, scripted campaigns and invisible walls to bounce off when you TRY to be creative and FAIL because the mechanical complexity for creativity simply isn’t there (which brings us back to point 1).

A better comparison than Minecraft is games like Grand Theft Auto, and Star Citizen is next-level Grand Theft Auto. What is the difference between them that makes Star Citizen next-level? Precisely the two factors I just enumerated. Other than those two, the two games play exactly the same in the sense that you do the same things in them: whatever you want to do—at least to the degree allowed by the mechanics.

Let us understand this more deeply, because this is the whole point of this essay. What do you do in Grand Theft Auto? You drive around—or ride around, or fly around, or walk, run or swim, etc.—and you explore, adventure, fight, manipulate characters and objects. That’s the MECHANICAL part of what you do in a Grand Theft Auto, or any open-world game. And that’s exactly what you do in Star Citizen—only at an insanely higher level of complexity, and without handholding. That’s why it filters almost everyone.

I won’t get into the astonishing amount of trouble brown people have with merely flying the ships in this game. I don’t want to get that cruel. Even yellow people ultimately have the same problem because, though they can mentally grasp the systems and controls just fine, they lack the ENERGY to care enough about bothering with them, which is exactly the White female (and homosexual) response. Many White females and homosexuals can grasp Star Citizen’s systems and controls just fine, but they just can’t be bothered to. It’s the same reason they play with dolls as children instead of remote-controlled cars, trains and Legos. So ALL these demographics FAR prefer pushing “forward” to drive a car in Grand Theft Auto instead of memorizing TWO KEYBOARDS’ worth of keybinds in Star Citizen lol so as to get off a hangar—only to get impounded top kek because they didn’t do it fast enough and be saddled with a fine before they’ve even properly got off the ground lmao.

This level of complexity and punishment only White supermen can deal with, let alone PREFER it as ENTERTAINMENT CHOICE—as their RELAXATION from their REAL LIVES and JOBS.

So the insane complexity is half of the filtering process. The other half is the complete lack of handholding. Because even the few non-straight-White-male-supermen who manage to get off a landing pad... freeze at that point. They freeze because... there’s no cutscene telling them where to go and what to do next. They have an ENTIRE SOLAR SYSTEM rendered in stunning millimeter detail in front of them—the greatest real-time “level” and play environment in all of gaming!—... but they have no direction. And the uncreative NEED direction. So they log off, and never log back in again. They head back to traditional games to command them what to do because “He who cannot command himself will be commanded”—thus spoke Zarathustra. So they go elsewhere to receive their commands.

In fact, a resounding confirmation of my thesis is that, when Global Events like Jumptown, Siege of Orison and the like are running... many of the uncreative come back! They come back because... cutscenes! Clear commands and directions! Unambiguous win/lose states! During scripted Global Events, tiny parts of the majestic Star Citizen metaverse function somewhat like traditional midwit games (all traditional games are midwit games), and that’s why, while these events are running, the uncreative midwits (all midwits are uncreative) flock back to the game to take their orders. But the events last only a few hours, and once they expire the midwits are off again, seeking another game to command them. And only the straight White male supermen are left behind, to chart a path through this ever-growing space of mind-bewildering possibilities, and play with them.

The “ever-growing” part by the way is the crucial part. When Star Citizen first launched back in 2013, the only thing you could do was walk around your ship in your hangar. This was the so-called “Hangar Module”, and at that point the game was laughably simpler than a Grand Theft Auto. But then came the first space stations and suddenly you were playing Shattered Horizon with 50 players and mini-Freelancer on top of that. And then came the first walkable moons and planets, and then you really were playing Grand Theft Auto on a solar-system scale (whereas to this day you can barely even drive out of a GTA city). We are now at a point of complexity where a new player can take a simple box delivery mission, and in the middle of it encounter an entire FLEET of player-controlled ships and ground vehicles that’s bigger than almost anything you’d see in a sci-fi movie. Just one newbie player carrying his delivery box... suddenly up against capital ships and bombs that flatten kilometers. Right out of the game’s starting gate—all the while you STILL can’t play GTA in co-op because midwit heads would explode if you could.

This is the other main difference between Star Citizen and open-world games. The open-world games never add anything beyond the initial release, while Star Citizen has been adding new mechanics EVERY THREE MONTHS for TWELVE YEARS NOW. The game is now literally TEN TIMES as complex as it was a mere 16 months ago when my clan and I got into it. One of the latest examples is a tractor beam rifle that can move entire vehicles. We are talking a Battlefield scenario where someone lifts A WHOLE TANK or SPACESHIP and uses it as a SHIELD. Or you can block exit and entry points with it, or simply park it on a landing pad so other players can’t use it: the possibilities are endless, which is why even the developers themselves don’t know all of them, so with every new mechanic they add they anxiously monitor the playerbase to see how we will abuse it in order for them to fine-tune everything to limit the abuse (it being as impossible to completely eliminate it as for God to make every lifeform in the universe behave “good”, whatever that might mean).

Midwit games, meanwhile, have been going the other way for some years now, perhaps the most infamous example of which is what happened with the Far Cry series, where the latest installments have been shown to have had simpler physics engines than the celebrated high point of the series, which was Far Cry 2 all the way back in 2008. Midwit developers often REMOVE features rather than add them in order for their games to remain at the sales sweet-spot of my popularity/quality graph, so a ceiling of complexity has now been established for the majority of the industry that corresponds roughly to the average White IQ of about 100. And the industry as a whole will never move past this point until mankind does, through widespread eugenics practices. (In fact the current drop in White birth rates combined with the sudden mass influx of brown and yellow DNA—with the yellow DNA underperforming its nominal IQ levels due to catastrophically-low T—means that the immediate future, at any rate, will likely be even worse.)

Throughout all this, Star Citizen keeps piling on the mechanics because it’s headed by a White genius, and funded by the cream of wealthy White humanity. The result is an abyss of complexity inside which marvels and downright miracles are possible that, not only are impossible in other games and game engines, but whose developers and players lack even the imagination to imagine them.

I am talking jumping out of a friend’s ship in atmo and then being tractor-beamed back before hitting the ground, or riding a buggy off a cliff to land inside a capital ship’s hangar. If this sounds like sci-fi extreme sports to you, it’s because they are: and remember which race (and sex, and sexual orientation) invented extreme sports (hint: it wasn’t congolese lesbians).

So when you explain to a high-IQ/high-T White all these mechanics, you can see their eyes grow wider as their brain starts to run through them, calculating all the possibilities and figuring out which they prefer to explore, and in what order. But when you explain the very same mechanics to a midwit... you see their eyes DIM instead. When a midwit hears of all this stuff, first of all he can’t even conceptualize it, because that’s what it means to be a midwit: that your brain don’t work very good. So before I’ve even gone through half of what I want to say, I’ve already lost their interest. They aren’t calculating possibilities at that point, they are just thinking “Won’t this comically overexcited guy shut up anytime soon?” Of course they won’t say this because they are polite, but they sure are thinking it and I can see it in their eyes as they dim more and more the more possibilities I explain to them. And even the few possibilities that they manage to grasp, feel like WORK to them. They aren’t excited by them at all. If anything, they are REPULSED by them. Or what? You think that when you explain to them complex multistage multigroup salvage-mining-cargo operations with rotating security and escort details, that the midwits will jump for joy and throw their credit cards at the screen? icycalm will, Elon Musk will—and Chris Roberts spent his entire professional life to engineer these possibilities for us—but if you expect your average White midwit (not to speak of the non-Whites) to feel any excitement, any enthusiasm, any joy for any of this, you don’t understand homo sapiens at all. There would be negroes and homosexuals halfway to Alpha Centauri by now if anyone besides the smartest and most energetic straight White males cared about this stuff. The negro race is 60,000 years old, while it took Whites a mere 3,000 years to go from Athens to Mars. The negroes could have been anywhere by now if they felt any attraction at all for this stuff: for engineering, organization and logistics, for exploration, adventure and discovery. They never even went swimming lol. And if White females and effeminate males had been with them back in africa, they would have been standing right there with them on the beach.

The astonishing degree to which all this is true only dawned on me very recently precisely thanks to a negro, a random we met inside the game (the Area18 shuttle) who joined us for a while. First of all, the dude was clueless about everything. He didn’t even know what Squadron 42 is. How can you play Star Citizen and not know this? But otherwise he was a very nice, very friendly person—and surprisingly capable as a big ship pilot. I loved having him fly us around to our missions on his Carrack, I felt safe entrusting my team and all our ground vehicles and equipment in his hands, which I can’t say for most players who try piloting the big ships. So as you can see, exceptions exist, and I am by no means denying them. If anything I welcome them with open arms, as my complex organizational efforts require every bit of help they can get. But still, the dude wasn’t White, and he made it clear very quickly when the conversation turned to the upcoming base-building mechanics. Once again, everyone knows that these mechanics are the most hotly anticipated by the playerbase. During the recent CitizenCon, the base-building segment was reserved for the very LAST few minutes of a TWO-day convention, right before the new Squadron 42 trailer that set the internet on fire. I have NEVER heard a Star Citizen player look down on these mechanics, and in fact I know of plenty of people who are WAITING for these mechanics in order to get into the game at all.

But the negro went, “I am not interested in building at all”. And though the remark astonished me in the moment, it was of course the most natural thing in the world. Just google for some pictures of where he’s from, and you will see. Of course he isn’t interested in building. That’s why there are no buildings where he’s from.

AND THE WHITE MIDWITS AREN’T INTERESTED IN BUILDING EITHER, nor the White females or homosexuals or effeminate males. ARCHITECTS are interested in building. ENGINEERS. DESIGNERS. PROGRAMMERS. Which is to say, high-IQ straight White males: Star Citizen's playerbase. But I am only repeating myself at this point.

This is why it gives me so much pleasure when I see a picture of a Bar Citizen—the frequent worldwide in-person social events that Cloud Imperium Games hosts. You know how non-Whites use the expression “my people” to refer—not to us, the Europeans and Americans who share the same passports with them—but to their foreign kin from the filthy shitholes that spawned them? Well, the guys attending the Bar Citizens are MY people: the hyperinquisitive, hyperintelligent cream of the White race for whom I am writing everything that I write, and for whom Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games are developing all that they are developing.

The kind of people who build websites based on a game that are more conceptually complex than entire other games.

The kind of people who build hardware based on a game that’s more complex than other people’s entire consoles and gaming rigs.

For them it is that Chris Roberts and I do everything.

For our brothers, the Star People.

For the Aryans.

1488 o7o/

https://www.erkul.games
https://ccugame.app
https://starcitizen.tools
https://armory.thespacecoder.space
https://snareplan.dolus.eu
https://fleetyards.net
https://www.starship42.com
https://hangar.link

icycalm
Hyperborean

Star Citizen Alpha 3.22 - Wrecks to Riches

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Dec 2023 19:53

Official Page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -To-Riches

Patch Notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... Alpha-3220

CIG wrote:Star Citizen Alpha 3.22: Wrecks to Riches
12/14/2023 - 3:00 PM

However you get your kicks, a universe of adventure is calling. Uncover the secrets of Stanton's untamed wilderness, tear down hulking wrecks in the depths of space for a life-changing payday, or put it all on the line to take home the spoils of the Jumptown drug labs. Whatever adventure means to you, you'll find it and more in Alpha 3.22: Wrecks to Riches.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZnTYD ... XVyolQO3wj

@AlphaCitizen wrote:Now that's a game trailer! Bravo, CIG. Thanks for deepening the gameplay.

@BR1ZZO wrote:Cinematics team, blink twice if you're being held hostage and forced to work 24/7 on these masterpieces? We aren't gonna do anything because they're freaking awesome but we're here for you. :)

@dallasscandling6329 wrote:Best development team in the game! Love all your work CIG! But on a side note could we get a little optimization soon. Even my $5000 PC is starting to struggle with the current builds.

@morgothbloody7181 wrote:For a sheer mass of content to come in near future and further, $45 is a steal for SC, while Starfield feels like burger without meat and pickles...

@-Seek-17 wrote:Man there is no chill at development currently :)

@robopenguin5501 wrote:Oh my gosh these cinematics guys are amazing... CIG give them a raise!

Lots of great things in this patch, above all the derelict settlements are the highlight for me. I've seen screens were people can play cards/poker in them or whatever? Need to check that out. And the salvage profession is at last complete, at least for the time being. The X1 bikes are also far cooler than I had imagined they would be, and I look forward to integrating them in the Cult Spec (apparently they are the only bikes with shields now?) And the San'tok.yāi is another cool alien ship fleshing out the alien lineup. I'll talk about the new Jumptowns in the Jumptown thread (they're planning one for the holidays, and we'll be playing it), and I'll grab a Rambler or two at some point (the new Noble Cutter paint will go in the Pirate Spec). The new hairstyles and hair dynamics are just the icing on the cake.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2023 21:01

New hair tech looks amazing in motion! + some mood Spirit shots with Olympia paint
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... _some_mood

wednesdaywoe13 wrote:They really nailed it with the hair movement. Maybe the best I've seen in a game. I've been playing Cyberpunk and even there the hair movement often looks like it's moving under water. SC hair has the right amount of bounce and weight.

When the midwits ask you why you're playing Star Citizen, say it's the hair. They won't understand anything you say anyway, so you might as well take the piss.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Cult Citizen