default header

Cult Citizen

Crusader Ares Star Fighter Inferno / Ion

Moderator: JC Denton

Crusader Ares Star Fighter Inferno / Ion

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Sep 2023 22:26

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... vs_inferno

Shiltoshi wrote:Ion vs Inferno

With the improvements to these ships coming in 3.20 I am torn on which one carries more practical use. I have my own opinions but want to hear some points I may not have considered. So are you team Ion or Inferno and why?

Pojodan wrote:The thing about both is that they are made specifically for a thing that is barely a thing yet: pack tactics against large ships. I can say for sure that getting together with a group of people in Areas and taking out an Idris is very fun and I recommend anyone that can do so to try it, but that's really it right now.

Once the Ares' long range, low profile, and hit-and-run tactics are viable in a larger game universe, they'll be much easier to comment on.

Dig-a-tall-Monster wrote:Depends.. If you're comfortable with getting in real close to a target then the Inferno is a better ship because you can drown them in bullets. If you are a bit more cautious then the Ion is better because it has the longest range pilot gun of any ship currently in the game aside from the Idris railgun. You can hit targets from 2.8km away, well outside the range of their guns which can only fire up to 1.225 km.

However it also depends on the target size. For small targets the Ion is a pain in the ass to use because the energy bolts travel slowly and the firing rate is relatively low, so you'll miss most of your shots unless you get in closer because the other ships can move fast enough to dodge. The Inferno shreds small ships easily, but you again still have to come in fairly close to get the full effect with the spread of the gatling cannon, so you're at risk in that too.

But for large ships, that's where the Ion shines. With the crazy high alpha damage of each shot from the cannon, it's ability to hit a target from outside their firing range and the ability to target subsystems lets you quickly take out the big ships. I have personally taken out 4 Idris NPCs using an Ion over the last year of playing, completely solo. It took a long time for each one, but it was achievable. The Inferno can do a lot of damage against large ships too, but its firing range is limited and you do the most damage when you're within a few hundred meters so it puts you right in range of all their turrets if you want the full effect of your gatling. But if you are fine with flying like that then it's a solid heavy hitter and while you probably can't take on an Idris I can't think of any other ships you wouldn't be able to take on with the Inferno.

Dunhimli wrote:So I used both in the last XT. Breaking down the shields on ships, Ion. Ripping through their hull and destroying them quickly? Inferno. Both have their uses and they are very similar... one just has "infinite" ammo and one you have to go get ammo for. That being said, I use the Inferno more for events like XT where people are working together. If I was soloing stuff, I probably would use the ion I think? But I still use the inferno. Cause brrrrrt.

frost1545 wrote:Agreed. Fun to go Brrrrr but the dmg is still lacking with ballistics. Ion rips shields down fast enough to get the good stuff. Flying a mole to help a friend in ptu and an ion ganked me in like 5-7 shots makes you O-0...then brought my ion we duked it out XD.

frost1545 wrote:Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "target destroyed" is fun but pew pew pew "target destroyed" seemed faster.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cult Citizen