default header

Cult Citizen

UEE: 999th Test Squadron

Moderator: JC Denton

UEE: 999th Test Squadron

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2023 02:40

https://starcitizen.tools/999th_Test_Squadron

Star Citizen Wiki wrote:The 999th Test Squadron (also referred as the 999, Squadron 999, and The Wreckless) is an elite squadron for test pilots founded by Michelle Saleno since the beginning of Humanity's journey into the stars. First incorporated in the 2130s, the unit proved its value throughout the centuries to make space travel safer for everyone by testing ships' technological limits and piloting experimental spacecraft fearlessly. Although the 999 designation was used because the squadron started "outside of the normal structure" and supposed to be temporary, it stuck with the unit. Today the 999th squadron is assigned to 18th Battle Fleet and stationed in Chronos system.

Detailed background:

Portfolio: 999th Test Squadron
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... t-Squadron

These Squadron 999 F8As are gorgeous!
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/co ... e_gorgeous

shakazulu9912 wrote:Would you get your account perma banned for trying to steal that since I heard players are not suppose to have access to it?

SgtDoughnut wrote:Morph released a video of him flying one, but a Dev did pop onto the server and asked how he got it. He probably got a pass due to being a YouTuber so it's best not to push it.

lol

So back in September with Alpha 3.20 CIG introduced the "Arena Commander Experimental Mode Schedule" which you can view here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... e-schedule

Chris Wayne Schmitt | CIG @Wayne-CIG wrote:Star Citizen Alpha 3.20 introduced a major revamp to the Arena Commander game module, introducing new and explosive Experimental Modes that get you straight into the action. These new game modes range from simple variants of existing modes, to brand-new experiences that explore new mechanics, locations, and even in-development features before they are introduced to the Persistent Universe. As previously mentioned, our intention is to rotate this modes in and out of the game in limited-time cycles.

In short, they added a different experimental mode to Arena Commander at roughly the rate of one or two modes per week, each mode unlocking a Spectrum badge on successful completion. And if you completed all of them, they gave you a 999 Squadron badge!

I knew I had to have this as soon as I saw the announcement, but the schedule was quite brutal for my nomadic lifestyle at the time, so I failed to even get started with these modes, let alone complete all of them. I was quite despondent at this failure, because I thought I'd never get the chance again, but then in October CIG offered a new schedule... which I also failed to tackle. And again in November. And again in December.

BUT now there's a new one for January, and the deadline for the first mode is TODAY, in like a few hours, so if I complete this challenge today, I have a chance of making it during January. Here's the schedule:

Chris Wayne Schmitt | CIG @Wayne-CIG wrote:
Start and End times for new modes are 16:00 UTC / 9 a.m. PDT.

Update for January 2024 - Arena Commander Experimental Mode Schedule

Gun Rush

• enabled indefinitely

Team Elimination: Luminalia

• available now through January 8

Battle Royale

• December 17 - December 24

Team Tank Battle

• December 24 - December 31

Master Modes: Duel

• December 31 - January 7

Single Weapon Elimination (A03 Sniper Rifle) & Tank Royale

• January 7 - January 14

As you can see, it's Battle Royale which expires today, so the moment I post this thread I'll try to log in with Shadow and complete this. Not sure if the connection at the airport will hold up, but I'll give it my best. Also not sure what the conditions for victory are, but shubn says all you have to do is play one match. I've heard otherwise on Spectrum though. I've heard that some of them have pretty steep completion requirements. Either way, if you do manage to pull off whatever requirement there is, make sure you don't quit too quickly because the achievement might not get logged. You are supposed to wait a bit to make sure it registers.

I am sorry I didn't make this thread earlier to alert people, and left it for the last moment. If you want this achievement but don't have time to play Battle Royale within the next few hours, it's quite probable that you'll get another chance in a month, so look out for that. At least now you know.

The badge by the way doesn't give you access to the special F8 paint above, though people have asked for it, and it would be an insane reward. But who knows, CIG might sell it at some point. It'd sell like hotcakes. Until then, I want the badge so I can roleplay that my character used to fly for the 999, and if you want the same background trait, get the badge yourselves and we will write it in your character's background on http://cultcitizen.org

In short, if you WANT the 999 badge and plan to try and get it, post in this thread, and try to help people get it when they tag people on Discord for partners. I'll do my best to help people when they are online. Not sure how many modes can be done solo, or even if there are any that require co-op. Maybe all of them can be done with randoms.

Some of these modes btw are said to be very fun. I've heard great things especially about Gun Rush. Maybe that's why they at length decided to enable it indefinitely, because people were complaining when it got taken off the rotation. So the whole thing should be fun, and good practice too, in various mechanics, loadouts and vehicles. (Though I probably wouldn't be playing if not for the badge, because I'd rather just put the time into the metaverse than arcade mode. That said, when the arcade mode goes IN the game with the VR pods... that will change everything, and then I'll buy a pod for my apartment and play it quite a lot. CR says that as "Death of a Spaceman" [ > ] gets closer, the penalties for dying in the metaverse will get huge, and then people will basically have to train in the VR pods to avoid massive losses in the metaverse. So you can consider this challenge as a preview and preparation to how we'll be playing the game in the long run.)

And that's all I got for now. I am rushing to get my first badge, and will report back my results!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: UEE: 999th Test Squadron

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Dec 2023 14:10

I have an update on this, good news. So when you enter Arena Commander, you get a list of modes, about a dozen of them, and in the bottom-right corner of the little box that you have to click on to select a mode, there is a small icon that is either gold if you are considered to have "completed" the mode for the purposes of the badges, or grey for not having completed it. And most of them seem to count as completed by default. Not sure why this is, some modes are obviously open-ended so a completed state would make no sense for them, but for others it seems it would be easy for them to add a goal for you to achieve, but they haven't done so. Maybe they only care about incentivizing you to play specifically the experimental modes they care most about. At any rate, the Battle Royale mode that was expiring December 24 seems to have been among the ones completed by default, at least on my account, so whoever's trying to get the 999 badge in the next few weeks should still be good.

The best approach to get this badge seems to me to sit down as soon as possible and put a couple of hours in all the greyed-out modes, and see which ones you can complete most easily, and get them out of the way. That will help you zero in on the couple that are tougher, thus giving you the maximum amount of time to complete them. So I wouldn't look at the schedule I posted above for now, I would just play all the greyed modes to find the tough ones. And then I would look at the schedule to see which of them is expiring sooner, and focus on that, perhaps asking for help on Discord if extra players would help clearing the mode.

I'll have more info once I've made my first pass on all the modes. In the meantime, you can get a description of some/all? the modes by checking the Arena Commander section of Alpha 3.20's patch notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... aCommander
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Dec 2023 14:21

Rechecking that link, I noticed this:

Cloud Imperium Games wrote:Play each game mode to be eligible for the "999th Test Squadron" Spectrum Badge!

So it seems shubn was correct and all you have to do is play "one round" or something of each Experimental Mode. And since not all modes are Experimental, that must be why half of them are shown as unlocked by default. That said, Battle Royale was supposed to be Experimental I think because it was listed in the Experimental schedule on Spectrum (which is where I got the dates from), and that was unlocked by default for me, so I don't know wth is happening here. The whole thing doesn't seem well-managed to me, but at least they seem to have been improving it because I don't think the gold/greyed icons were there at the start back in September, and people were complaining that they didn't know their status with each mode. It should be pretty easy to get this badge now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jan 2024 21:59

Some clarity from an official post on Spectrum: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... le/6554142

Freyja Vanadis @Freyja-CIG wrote:Hey @Starcatraz.

As listed in the Alpha 3.22.0 Patch Notes, the 999th Test Squadron Spectrum badge will now be earned by playing the following modes:

• Tank Royale
  • Team Tank Battle
  • Single Weapon Elimination
  • Master Modes: Squadron Battle (replaced Master Modes: Duel)
  • Master Modes: Classic Race
  • Master Modes: Endless Vanduul Swarm
  • Kill Collector (FPS)
  • Kill Collector (Vehicles)
  • Duo Showdown
  • Team Elimination

Heads up: make sure you stay in the match until after the post-game scoreboard appears for it to count!

That said:

Godwin @Godwin wrote:What is Kill Collector?? I have the 999th badge but I cannot recall anything called Kill Collector that I played or that I have seen as an Arena Commander mode or that I have seen in patch notes etc.

Moreover there are other complications: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spec ... th-test-sq

MeHearty @MeHearty wrote:(How) can I check progress towards the 999th Test Squadron Badge?

In Arena Commander the various game modes have a symbol (cup/goblet) signifying "badge locked/unlocked" - but that leaves uncertain if it's about mode-specific badges like winning a round of Gun Rush, beating Vanduul Swarm etc. or if it's participation for 999th Test Squadron Badge.

How can I see which modes I still have to play to get the 999th badge/title?

Wabbit @I_Die_a_Lot wrote:I had this same question and asked via support ticket.

Long story short, they don't have a way for players to check status but, the CIG rep was able to tell me my progress.

! sǝǝpᴉn⅁ qᴉ⅁ ໒㇏◕⎺◕໒㇢ ! @Liudeius wrote:Edit: IIRC it was awarded by a script after the last set of experimental modes was released. So CIG has to manually trigger the check to award it

In short, it's a clusterfuck, but if you want the damn badge you'll just keep trying until you get it.

I plan to get it this month. On Thursday they announce a new schedule.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jan 2024 01:57

They finally decided to produce a detailed Arena Commander page showing the schedule and explaining how the modes work, how the badges are unlocked etc.: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... s-Schedule

As you can see there are a number of badges to unlock on the way to the 999 badge. Moreover, the first deadline for this cycle is in two days for two modes, so imma try to get them done hopefully tomorrow if the Wi-Fi at the airport cooperates.

The requirement for the 999 badge is simple participation:

Cloud Imperium Games wrote:A player must participate, until match completion, in every Experimental Mode during this patch cycle. Note that leaving the match before the post-game scoreboard appears will not count towards the badge.

The other 4 badges aren't that easy, you actually need to win, so I might need help with those. I'll do my best to get everything, but my priority is the 999 badge, for roleplaying reasons.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cult Citizen