default header

Development

Syrinscape

Moderator: JC Denton

Syrinscape

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Jan 2024 07:06

https://www.reddit.com/r/FoundryVTT/com ... &context=3

crogonint wrote:The guy that runs Syrinscape is a sanctimonious, stubborn, S.o.B. I supported him for a long, long time. One day, we started having one issue after another. I finally got ahold of the man himself, where he insisted that these P.I.T.A. issues were all features. He's absolutely unwilling to bend anything anywhere, because he's scared crapless that somebody might rip his audio. Like there aren't already 800 million other sources of audio clips in the world. Anyway, I advise steering clear of them unless it's unavoidable, or you already own a healthy number of their products.

I just mentioned a couple of days ago that Tabletop Audio is far and above the most superior audio utility for use in FoundryVTT. Their website has hundreds of musical ambience tracks for free, and it has a soundboard that you can use for free, AND share with your players online. I personally recommended that Moulinette adopt them as their first audio client. So today, Tabletop Audio is integrated tightly with Moulinette, and Moulinette is of course tightly integrated with FoundryVTT. Additionally, if you join their Patreon, you get all of those hundreds of musical ambience tracks split out in to musical tracks and ambience tracks. It really is just about impossible to find a better general solution.

Of course, if you really really want Monument Studios, then go for it, absolutely. I'm just giving my opinion. :)

This is my experience with the Syrinscape guy too. He locks you into his subscription server system, but then forbids you from uploading longer than 5-min tracks, which means you need another program for long ambiances, doubling the number of audio apps you must have on all the time and sound-balance them etc.

Syrinscape was the dominant audio solution for GMRPGs in 2020 when we got into this stuff, as back then what they were doing was groundbreaking and they had no competition. Today there's so much competition doing so much more advanced stuff that it's getting to the point where Syrinscape looks primitive. If you add their owner's obnoxious attitude and restrictive practices, there's no future for the firm. Even Paizo dropped them from their PF2 Foundry conversions and partnered with Michael Ghelfi instead. That's when I knew Syrinscape was finished.

I still pay them $10/month (and dan does too), but not for long. I just need to find the time to do some market research and move us to better solutions across all the VTTs we're using and will be using.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Syrinscape

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Jan 2024 17:23

crogonint wrote:I dropped them when he re-engineered the android app so that it refuses to play music in the background. Before that, I was using my tablet connected to a surround sound Bluetooth speaker system. Then I was using another android app to play campaign specific sound bytes. He really hosed my setup, and refused to fix the problem.

As I mentioned above, you really can't beat Tabletop Audio, even just using the website. If you combine it with Moulinette inside FoundryVTT... well, you just can't ask for more. Of course, you may have specific tracks that you want to use for specific campaigns, but those can still be added in to the native FoundryVTT audio panel. :)

It's looking like this is the setup we'll use with Foundry. For Fantasy Grounds we'll stay with what we have for a little while longer. For TaleSpire, it has its own music system, but not the sounds, so we'll probably keep using the exact same Syrinscape setup we use with Fantasy Grounds until I completely replace it.

It's gonna be tough running 3 engines simultaneously, and then 4 and 5 and 6, all with slightly different sound requirements. But it's just what has to be done. I'll talk about this in more detail shortly.

I wrote:My problem is I am still using Fantasy Grounds, and soon also TaleSpire and Menyr on top of Foundry, for different campaigns. And it doesn't look like there's a single optimal audio solution for all of these. So I will have to have several audio setups. But for Foundry, yes, what you suggest seems the optimal.

Let's see if he replies with any insight.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Development