default header

Cosmic War

PC Foxhole

Moderator: JC Denton

PC Foxhole

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Jun 2023 20:54

https://www.foxholegame.com

https://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/Foxhole

Siege Camp wrote:Foxhole is a massively multiplayer game where thousands of players shape the outcome of a persistent online war. Every individual soldier is a player that contributes to the war effort through logistics, base building, reconnaissance, combat, and more.

This is the WW2 MMORTS from the studio that's currently making Anvil Empires [ > ].

You ought to watch the trailer I link below. It looks like a dream. It even managed to make a Kotaku writer write something inspiring:

Kotaku wrote:This was the first time that I felt like I was playing in a war: it was both entertaining and surreal.

We ought to take a weekend and play it. If nothing else, it'll be a nice preview for Anvil, which promises the same, but more.

What's even more remarkable about it than its premise is that its Steam rating is "Very Positive" despite much grumbling from the community that the game is aimed at people with no life. That's also true of FP4Xes, but those get dismal ratings. So I am extremely curious to see how they accomplished this feat here. I am playing this for sure.

The Company of Heroes games will serve as a reference point, but I haven't played any of them. I have, however, played a bit of that recent steampunk game that mimics them, I forget its name. Decent game, but too small-scale for me. Foxhole by the looks of it should not have a scale problem.

The game is still receiving large updates—it's been in Early Access since 2017 but was only fully released in September (no idea why it took me half a decade to hear about it)—and you can check a recent one here to get an idea of the kind of features they're focusing on: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 0715681451

It's even more remarkable how it's maintaining such a high rating despite being in players' hands for half a decade.

Foxhole 1.0 Inferno - Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EHVg4RyHvw

icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC Foxhole

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Jun 2023 07:48

From the trailer comments:

@benjaminkilroy2491 wrote:If you have never played this game before but enjoy World war 1/2 games, Factorio, Planetside, transport fever, MMO, literally this game has a spot for everyone, Don’t like war games? This games for you, Like war games? This games for you, this is one of the most unique and enjoyable experiences I’ve ever had in a multiplayer environment, the last war lasted 41 real days (I think) this is probably one of the best depictions of actual warfare I’ve seen in a game, the frontline is immersive and massive and always changing, and the logistics is in depth and vital to a team’s war effort. Every hun, bullet, Shirt, Gallon of Fuel, vehicle is proceed by the players, and transported to the frontlines by the players, I highly suggest at the very least you check the game out. Thank you that’s all

@jarizitvast5944 wrote:This is the beginning of a new era. I have never played a game like this one. Keep it up devs! :)

@opportunity-kfpairlines6716 wrote:After like 2 years of playing i can say this game is the most unique experience I've had online. It only gets better over time. Excited for the new era!

@phoenixdelta346 wrote:The coolest thing in this trailer is that all these scenes you can see in actual game.

@ferrox8421 wrote:foxhole is one of the best multiplayer games out there and truly underappreciated

@ridi wrote:This game offers a unique experience. IMO this is one of the best games out there

@huggleberryhughs6956 wrote:Honestly this was the only war game where i've been able to have fun not actually fighting. About half a year ago i spent 7 hours building defenses with some friends at one of the towns and literally locked the place down with barbed wire tank traps bunkers you name it, then when it was done we ran logistics for a little while before i went to bed. Came back in the morning and the town had fallen which made me kinda sad since i missed it, that was until i learned from my friends who stayed on that there was a huge siege that lasted throughout the night and we had actually helped hold off the enemy for a really long time by building all that stuff. Definitely something for everyone in this, base building vehicle driving (either in or outside of combat), vessels etc.

@ReaperKing705 wrote:Best game I have ever played, if you want memories, unique experiences this game is the best

@rafamarchewka5821 wrote:I remember playing wars at 9 square sites, when wall was best protection and defences were connected by nodes, stock truck were only thing to carry supplies, people had about 7 weapons (same for both factions) and 4 combat vehicles. I'm shocked how far this game evolved! I hope 1.0 isn't end of that story!

@katuhtonik wrote:This game is among the greatest games I've ever played. It is so crazy to me that I've missed years of playing this game because I didn't know it existed. It's so so good.

It's unlike anything I've ever played and it's so cheap. This game is worth at least $50.

@gavin4598 wrote:Had so much fun playing the game, spent so many hours on logistics alone, sad that I had to go away for months for personal reasons but now I have an excuse to go back, and that is trains the dream is here baby.

@mandracos12345 wrote:I love this game so much. I wish I could quit my job to play it. It would be cool if it had a real economy that could pay out.

@vashbain3136 wrote:Had this game for like 2 or 3 years but only had some hours on it because of how daunting it was. Now convinced a friend to play, we found a field gun and what type of ammo it used, we went to support an intersection that was part of a logi route and cleared the pillboxes, roadblocks and all the guys there. After all that we turned back into town, resupplied the field gun with like 50 200 round clips, and headed for the main frontline in deadlands (not sure if that's the name sorry), we destroyed a bunch of fortifications, killed probably more than 200 guys before we got a bit greedy and died, other teammates picked up our gun and proceeded to keep tearing dudes apart. 10/10 will play again.

@yuunishirozach.vtuberdev5347 wrote:The best thing about this game is not winning the war. It's the interaction between people who you'll met randomly in the frontlines. work together. Blow people up. and have a great time.

It's not about winning the war. It's about the people we blew up on the way.

@smithynoir9980 wrote:Now if only I could get into Able Shard I'd be on for the next 18h at the minimum. Love Foxhole, such a unique gaming experience!!

@genericname8134 wrote:Best Game I've ever played. No doubt.

@Hon2fun wrote:we really need a game that does what foxhole does but in first person

@alkabann5063 wrote:This game has everything.
I mean, I tried to summarize the good things to give you a description but i can't, there are legions, really, just try it!

I did not find a single negative comment under this trailer. Sounds like a GOTY contender at the least.

Clear out your schedules, we're playing this weekend.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC Foxhole

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Jun 2023 17:50

It's actually borderline survival-builder, so it may be just as appropriate to put it in the Uberust forum. I'll have to play it to decide where it fits best. I'll be explaining more in the inevitable review.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cosmic War