Star Citizen

Cult Citizen

MOST WANTED: Star Citizen & Squadron 42 (PC)

Moderator: JC Denton

MOST WANTED: Star Citizen & Squadron 42 (PC)

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2012 19:01

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... de-absence

Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts returns to games after decade absence
By Jeffrey Matulef Published 11 September, 2012
"Embraces everything that my past games stood for," due in two years.

After leaving the games industry to direct the Wing Commander movie and produce films like The Punisher and Lucky Number Slevin, Wing Commander and Privateer creator Chris Roberts is returning to the medium that put him on the map.

This information was revealed via a mysterious site for Roberts Space Industries that includes a countdown to 10th October at 10a.m. EST during GDC Online. A password is required to access the site, but entering 42 (i.e. the meaning of life, the universe, and everything from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) results in a message from Roberts about his upcoming title at his new studio Cloud Imperium Games.

"Ten years ago, at the height of my career I took a break," said Roberts. "Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realise my vision."

"With the power of today's computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on," he added.

"I'm here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level."

"With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds," Roberts stated. "If you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you."

Upon "enlisting" for Roberts Space Industries on the site, you're given a link to a digital ticket with the following message:

"Upon purchase of a Roberts Industries Spaceship, I do invite you to a private showing of my next creation and the opportunity to participate in its development over the next 24 months. Once completed, you will receive a very special equipment package that only the golden ticket holders are entitled to."

134735949628.jpg
134735949628.jpg (135.61 KiB) Viewed 135697 times

Really hating the fact that the game is two years away. I'd rather not have known about it until, say, a couple of months before release. But whatcha gonna do, PR is PR.

Some cool comments from the comments:

goldbug wrote:I loved Wing Commander 3 and 4 so much. For their day they had incredible production values, great gameplay and some really unexpected plot twists. Also, Privateer 2 (by brother Erin Roberts) starred a then unknown Clive Owen as the main character, which was an incredible find.

rekkit wrote:Please for the love of god..... Strike Commander 2.

Koborover wrote:Whatever Roberts ends up making, Tom Wilson should do a cameo as "Maniac".

dogmanstaruk wrote:More Strike Commander please.

I fondly remember the days when his games tested hardware. The joy of seeing Strike Commander on my brand new 468 33dx back in the day.

Of course after spending 30 minutes mucking about with my config and autoexec file to maximise free memory :)

GAmbrose wrote:Anyone remember the PC Zone review of Wing Commander 3? They gave you two options (like the FMV dialogue choices) - one of playing it on a Pentium 90Mhz processor and another playing it on a 486 33Mhz PC.

Be funny to read that again, it may have been Charlie Brooker.

oupe wrote:Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts returns to games after decade absence.
Creates game for pentium 1.

Tyronne wrote:Please please please do not get bought out by EA ....again.

This refers to both Origin's and Digital Anvil's being bought out by EA and dissolved. I've never understood why anyone would spend a shitload on a company and then turn around and scrap it. What's the logic behind that? Even financially it doesn't make any sense, except if the companies are losing money and you can't turn them around perhaps, but even then, why buy them in the first place? Bad decision, perhaps, or they just wanted the IP? But then they don't make use of it. I don't quite get it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Oct 2012 20:53

The game has been unveiled. It's called Space Citizen and it's a PC-only MMO space sim with, however, an optional single-player campaign in the Wing Commander/Privateer style to get you started. It's going to be funded at least partly by fans, though not through Kickstarter, but directly through the game's official site:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

The MMO news was a HUGE letdown for me, and the game has now completely dropped off my most wanted list. However, after watching the launch video (on the frontpage of the site I just linked), in which Roberts does a lot of explaining, I understand why he went with that model. He had been moving away from the cinematic aspect of Wing Commander to the free-roaming aspect of Privateer and then Freelancer anyway (though not the GTA style of free-roaming, whose main aspect IS cinematic...), so an MMO was indeed the logical conclusion of his trajectory.

At any rate, I highly recommend watching the video. He plainly states that graphics are extremely important to him because they increase immersion, that immersion is extremely important to him because that's what makes a game fun, and that sophisticated (i.e. complex) games are his favorites because those are the best games. And moreover that the PC is the best gaming platform ever, full stop -- all points I've made throughout my writings, and continue to explore. And it's no surprise that the person who believes all of these things, is, at the same time, one of the best game designers in the world. He would have been an even better one if he'd read my RPG and (upcoming) MMO essays, but that too will happen one day. For the time being it's refreshing to see someone whose instincts are so strong and pure as to simply refuse to allow him to lose track of what's really going on.

As for the game itself... It has some strengths, but the negatives are way too many to allow me to get very much excited over it, if at all. I'll post more later.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Rovan » 30 Oct 2012 05:45

Rock Paper Shotgun published an interview with Chris Roberts, founder of Roberts Space Industries and the visionary/Lead Designer on the game. The first part touches on consequences for player actions, the scope of the game, and theory behind the technology that will run the universe.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/26/roberts-on-star-citizen-becoming-a-space-crime-lord/#more-129216

RPS: What is the biggest group size that can be in a single spot? Is that decided by how many people can be in combat at once?

Roberts: Yeah. The biggest group that can be at one spot in space is decided by how many we can have in combat at once. It’s not fully determined. It’s going to be somewhere between 60 and 100-some people. Freelancer could manage about 128 people online, so I’m hoping we can do that. We have a high degree of fidelity, but then also the broadband is much better than it used to be. If you look at Battlefield on the PC, it can do I think 64 players at once in an instance. It’s going to be somewhere in there. We have the advantage over Battlefield, because they have to have the whole environment rendered. Most of this is in space, so you don’t have to worry about the background crumbling. What would happen is if, say, there’s 10,000 people in orbit around Earth, there would be 100 different instances of 100 people, basically, in orbit.

RPS: Say in your crime lord scenario from earlier, someone put out a hit on somebody. How would the person trying to carry out the hit navigate to the instance where the target is?

Roberts: Here’s the thing: We can have 10,000 people down on the same planet. It’s not that you would have 10,000 people sitting in the space bar, but the system knows that you’re on the planet. We do this dynamic matchmaking I’m talking about. If, for instance, you had a hit out on someone, and you took that job, the persistent universe server knows, “Okay, you’ve been hired to take Ben out over here.” It knows that and it’ll match you. Tagging Ben and you together. Unless you’re getting a job to take out 200 people all at the same time. We’re not going to let you do that.

Essentially what it does is, it matchmakes you with your friends. It knows who your friends list is, and it’s always trying to put you together. It also knows, if you’ve got missions against someone that’s a player, that it should try to put you together as well. It’s trying to dynamically match you up with people who are in opposition to you, too. It’s like a very sophisticated matchmaking service.

On the surface of it, as a player, it seems like you’re part of this massive universe and people you’re looking for just happen to show up. But there will never be a case like in EVE Online where you can have a thousand players show up for a massive stellar war. It’s not meant to be that way. It’s a different level of scope. It’s why it’s called Star Citizen, and not Earth and Empire or something. It’s about the individual point of view – not the overall political campaign or corporations or whatever."

The second part touches on the setting, player progression, support for various peripherals, and his thoughts on various platforms.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/27/chris-roberts-on-pc-gaming-going-to-space/

"RPS: What is your focus for advancement and progression? Is it just getting parts for your ship and adding to that?

Roberts: It’s not an RPG in that I work my way up to level 80, I fire my proton gun at you, and I do +4 damage. The combat, there’s an element of skill, because you’re flying around. Really, your character is your ship. You beef up your ship and that’s your suit of armor and the magic weapons you’ve got, to use a fantasy role-playing analogy. Your progression rate is measured there.

It’s not so much that you become a level 5 pilot. The points you can earn in the game are more towards your citizenship status. You can do missions to increase that, and you’ll get some benefits from being a citizen, but they’re only really benefits if you want to be on a certain side of the law. If you want to be a criminal overlord, you probably don’t care much about being a citizen.

RPS: What sort of benefits are those exactly?

Roberts: Like getting afforded the protection of the empire. There will be certain areas at the center where they don’t want pirate attacks, and so they’ll enforce that. But there will be benefits to being a citizen in areas that don’t have the full force of the empire there. Maybe they’ll come to help you out, prioritize you higher. There will be certain things you can do as a citizen. You can vote as a citizen. I think of it as being a Roman citizen. Not everyone was a citizen, and the citizens had a different level of status. They were afforded protection and they had a say in what was happening, versus the ones who weren’t citizens. We have the same kind of idea here."

Also, the game met its 2 million dollar fundraising goal on or around October 25th, so it will enter its next stage of development. Going from comments he makes in the interview, it sounds like that means, in part, hiring his core development staff of 40 - 50 people and continuing to work on the game.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/25/and-beyond-star-citizen-has-raised-2-million/
Rovan

Unread postby Beakman » 24 Dec 2012 03:06

icycalm wrote:For the time being it's refreshing to see someone whose instincts are so strong and pure as to simply refuse to allow him to lose track of what's really going on.

You bet!

Check out this interview:

http://www.gog.com/news/ask_developer_a ... is_roberts

Do you feel that there's something missing in the modern games. Something that makes us still want to play 20-year old classics?

The big element that I find a lot of games are missing today is the challenge. There's a very conscious effort on the part of a lot of designers to make their games as easy as possible; to hold your hands through the whole thing. And that's because they're working at the biggest possible audience. So you have this conscious dumbing down to make your AAA title as much like a social game as possible, because you you'll reach X-million more potential buyers. I've found that the games I truly enjoy today are the ones that make winning rewarding... that make you suffer to move further.

Do you play games? What are your favorite titles?

I do play games, of course, and I've kept up with the industry since I left Digital Anvil. I liked the Uncharted series quite a bit, I feel like they were as close to my vision for a true interactive movie as has been possible so far. The team gameplay in the Battlefield series, the storytelling in Mass Effect... I enjoyed RPGs like Fallout 3, Dragon Age and Skyrim quite a bit. just the sheer complexity of the world they built and the freedom that allowed the player. The game I mention to everyone, though, is Demon's Souls, which very much exemplifies that 'harder is better' design philosophy; it's a game that truly punishes you and in so doing makes every achievement all the more rewarding.

Also, this: http://www.gamespot.com/news/wing-comma ... ct-6397488

Chris Roberts wrote:I don't want to do a mobile game. I don't want to do a social game. I'd shoot myself. And I know people are getting paid to do it, but I like to do these big splashy, jaw-to-the-ground…get-lost-in-the-fantasy-of-it-all [type of games].

I love this guy. If only every returning master had the same mindset as his. Am I the only one that felt a little dead inside when it was announced that John Romero was making some facebook game, for example?

Now I actually feel sorry that I've only played Freelancer from Roberts' games. I might get some of the Wing Commanders from gog.com, any suggestions from you guys?

icycalm, do you have any plans to contact Roberts as you did with Romero? I feel that in this case, it might work. As you say, he would most assuredly see the value of your essays.
Beakman

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2012 03:20

With Romero I acted prematurely. These people get a lot of emails, no doubt also from a lot of nutcases, so it's natural for them to ignore many if not most of them. So I'll wait until all the books are done, and then I'll start sending them a package containing all the books (5 for videogames) and a cover letter with an offer of a free subscription to Insomnia for life. It will be much harder to ignore a fucking box with 5 books landing on your desk than a simple email, I should think.

As for the Wing Commanders, they need to be played in order, from the beginning.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2012 03:25

And by the way, the game's Wikipedia page says the engine is a modified version of CryEngine 3, which is interesting. I've never heard of any games using any version of CryEngine apart from Crytek's own so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Beakman » 24 Dec 2012 17:47

CryEngine has been licensed and passed around quite a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryengine# ... _CryEngine

Still, most of these licensees used it for low budget games.
Beakman

Unread postby Ununpentium » 07 Jul 2013 21:00

Ununpentium

Unread postby Dolt » 25 Nov 2013 03:18

Reaching the latest stretch goal has allowed for additional funding to the single-player mode, which is called Squadon 42 and is described as "a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander":

Announcement video with the Foundry 42 team:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8jfVhjC2Xs

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... quadron-42

Greetings Citizens,

You’ve picked up a lot of bombers… and used them to blow another stretch goal out of the water! This time I want to offer a special thank you on behalf of the Foundry 42 team. The latest stretch goal unlocked additional funding for the Squadron 42 single–player experience. In honor of that, we’ve put together a special Inside CIG behind-the-scenes video introducing the team making the game!

Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

Last time we asked you to vote on a role for the next ship we build, and the resounding answer was that Citizens want to have a mining ship. We’re happy to oblige, but I’ll go ahead and warn you that mining in Star Citizen is going to be a lot more immersive than what you’ve seen before; you won’t be clicking on an asteroid until you’ve collected metal!

RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

Now it’s time for you to pick the $32 million stretch goal ship. We’ve removed the winner and the lowest-performing option from the last poll. What will it be now? A massive cargo hauler, a speedy information runner, a dedicated salvage ship? The choice is in your hands!

Remember that each stretch goal represents a broad array of improvements to Star Citizen: more staff, better equipment, more variety in the finished universe. The ships you choose are just a sample of what each million dollars lets us add to the game!

— Chris Roberts

Cool videos that haven't been posted yet:

Origin 300 series trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQ0qMRZ_1Q

2944 Aurora trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDs7RDKCag

Anvil Aerospace Hornet trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0gZES2pTWk

Terra Landing Zone on-foot footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaFSd-ezQc

There are dozens of hours of video on their website, mostly video podcasts called "Wingman's Hanger". Another video is this presentation by Chris Roberts that I'm watching now:

"Breathing New Life Into PC Games & Space Sims":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZWaBnpSvUk
Dolt

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 23 Mar 2015 04:19

http://kotaku.com/star-citizen-dogfight ... 1683234995

Evan Narcisse wrote:A few months back, space sim Star Citizen released their Arena Commander module, which lets players try out their ships in flight simulation and dogfight modes. YouTuber Gizimoo86 captured some highlights from his battles and they do a good job of showing what actual gameplay looks like right now in the in-development version of the crowdfunded PC title.

Arena Commander Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMGRIpUbO8

Gizimoo86's playlist of alpha footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkXe0OG ... M4DjO66bYK
earthboundtrev

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 30 Mar 2015 04:42

earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jun 2017 14:49

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155452

Hadn't realized they got Gary Oldman for the campaign.

What is Star Citizen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJx4TdshFA

It's Eve + Wing Commander + Destiny + Shattered Horizon.

Alpha 2.6 Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSnSuV9jz8

Space sim Squadron Battle and FPS Last Stand modes seem like things we should be getting into, in preparation for the full release. But I want to explore Eve first. Maybe in September.

24 Minutes of EPIC Gameplay (Open Universe Sandbox Game) CitizenCon 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTGJOC0stus

Star Marine Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if3E9QYhQ88

What is feels like to get Star Citizen ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUvx_ytniw
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jan 2018 06:46

35 Minutes of NEW Gameplay (Open Universe Sandbox Game) CitizenCon 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMfvny2NRHs

Single Player Campaign Gameplay Demo (Squadron 42 Gameplay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWfj4m0hvm4

Crytek sues Star Citizen studios over use of CryEngine (update: Crytek responds)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/13/1677 ... ne-lawsuit

I hope the Crytek fucks don't hurt the game's development. Roberts may have a ton of money, but a court can take it all away with a single ruling.

If Crytek were made of real game fans, they would let Roberts do whatever the hell he wants merely for the sake of the game. This is shaping up to be the game of the decade, and it would be beyond evil to do something to hurt it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2018 00:11

Star Citizen alpha 3.0 lands, Squadron 42 gameplay revealed
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... y-revealed

Robert Purchese wrote:The headline feature of Star Citizen alpha 3.0 is the ability to fly down and explore unique and expansive planetary surfaces - four to begin with. But alpha build 3.0 also brings a core feature set which makes Star Citizen more closely resemble an actual game than ever before.

There's a new mission system that gives you actual things to do; things like run deliveries, or escorts, or go on bounty hunts or patrol areas, and much more. There's the first implementation of a cargo system, and kiosks at major hubs where you can buy and sell at dynamically changing prices. There's a new outlaw city on a mining planetoid encompassing these things as well.

All over there is a deepening and refining of gameplay systems too, including the introduction an oxygen supply, stamina and heart rate gauges, and wounds which affect gameplay.

Still doesn't sound ready for us jump in. We should hold out for at least beta.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Sep 2018 10:00

50-Man Ground Battle | #Los50 Cinematic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyIgFOmYPyY

PlanetSide but with planets.

There's no denying the jankiness, but there's also no denying the epicness.

If they can make it work it'll be the best game ever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Oct 2018 13:32

Another must-watch:

Was The Show Good? - My Breakdown of Keynote 1 Citizencon 2018 #starcitizen #nobullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMt5JsUEfcw

It will give you a good idea of the state of the game in a few minutes, and don't miss the drop of the Warthog-type vehicle from the back of a spaceship in flight to the ground at 5:42, with seamless driving the moment it touches down. It's freaking mind-blowing next-level PlanetSide 3-type stuff.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Nov 2019 01:37

News from the latest convention.

Star Citizen - Just Got So Much Better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWBSSdoo-ZI

Full persistence is the big one. Drop a coffee mug in a forest on some planet, and it stays there forever for everyone.

The procedural weather system seems far more advanced than in any survival-crafter (which is what SC seems to me morphing into with each passing year). In the video they show a snow storm that can kill you in three minutes without proper gear. Foot traversal in the storm is the most impressive I've ever seen in the genre. Jump to 9:10 in the video where they showcase the snow and water hitting your helmet in first-person. It's incredible. In VR it must feel like reality. The first thing that comes to mind is the dashcam view in Project Gotham Racing 3. It's that much of a game-changer. The cloth mechanics shown right after are also incredible.

Then comes driving through the storm... Insane stuff. I can't imagine how flying through it must be. The video dude talks about whole convoys of vehicles making their way slowly through a storm and it sounds like the PlanetSide sequel we all dreamed.

Then when he stores the rover in the ship, it's covered with snow from being outside... Insane.

Stealth mechanics are also in, and apparently melee is coming soon. Lots of other stuff in the video, so watch all of it if you're interested.

And finally, there's a Switch port coming.

j/k
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Cray » 02 Dec 2019 00:31

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star-cit ... e.1513318/

Helios wrote:Star Citizen's crowdfunding passes $250,000,000 milestone

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

They will never release this game. They have no reason to.
Cray
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Dec 2019 06:34

From the same thread.

theHFIC wrote:Is this a game or a cult??

Heimdall_Xtreme wrote:is a cult videogame

Abriael_GN wrote:Look at all the salty dogs outraged at the idea of perfectly sane adults freely pledging their money (a crowdfunding pledge is not a "donation") to support a developer making the game they want to be made.

Stay hilarious.

PS: for those actually interested in a good listen about those who back this game, instead of irrational hating something they obviously know very little about, here's a good one:

Are Star Citizen's Backers Actually Deluded?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk7_wiO5wp8

The video he linked is great. Solid arguments and I loved the part where he opened the bay door of a hovering spacecraft and dropped a package that bounced off the planet's surface, shadow and all.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Dec 2019 13:20

IT IS HAPPENING!!! THE MATRIX IS HERE!!!

Squadron 42: 2019 Visual Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCE7gxQOVY

IT LOOKS BETTER THAN MOVIES!!! HELL IT LOOKS BETTER THAN FUCKING REALITY!!!

I added it to the Most Wanted list. Squadron 42 is the only game with TWO trailers on the list, and that's because it's not a game but THE FUCKING MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've written about the earlier trailer here btw, don't miss that either it's insane and features more acting talent than probably any movie ever let alone videogame: https://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=31644#p31644

I was talking on Discord earlier about whether Chris Roberts is British or American. The jury's still out on that, but either way he's DEFINITELY JEWISH. He HAS to be! THEY ARE TRYING TO GET US IN THE MATRIX TO HARVEST OUR BODY PARTS!!!!!!!

And with games like this they sure as fuck will succeed.

P.S. I wonder if you can walk around the capital ships/stations and talk to people like an adventure game. Going from what they are showing in the trailers, it seems like you can. That's how the Wing Commanders were. Read my "Videogame Art: Wing Commander (1990)" essay to understand these games.

Part I: https://www.patreon.com/posts/22427463
Part II: https://www.patreon.com/posts/22624999

Damn, what a trailer. It's better than most games lol.

P.P.S. Just added a second trailer for Star Citizen to the Most Wanted list. So that's four in all.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PC Squadron 42

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jun 2020 19:55

I am spinning this off from the Star Citizen thread [ > ].

This is the old roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/road ... quadron-42

It was last updated on March 6, and aimed for beta in Q3 2020. But on March 13 the roadmap was deprecated, with the explanation here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm ... -13th-2020

CIG Community Team wrote:Roadmap Roundup

Hi everyone,

When we first embarked on this Roadmap journey two years ago, our goal was to make communication more transparent, specific, and insightful for all of you who help make Star Citizen and Squadron 42 possible. While this goal remains unchanged, we’ve found that the format in which we’ve attempted to visualize our progress linearly does not match the approach we’re taking in the development of Squadron 42.

We want to be clear: progress on Squadron 42 is happening and we’re broadly happy with that progress. But we know that our roadmap is not reflecting that progress. Over time, we’ve found that the roadmap as presented does not and cannot accurately represent development on a AAA chapter-based, story-driven game like SQ42. So, we’re going back to the proverbial drawing board to explore different approaches for Squadron 42.

We’re currently considering an option where we would utilize our internal sprint-tracking process to visualize our progress. This would be a departure from the current Roadmap, but would be more in line with our internal scheduling. This new representation for progress in SQ42 would also benefit how we show progress on the PU as well. Alongside, we’ll continue to share development progress through a variety of avenues, outlined in the Calling All Devs episode below. With immediate effect, we will incorporate more Squadron 42 content into our regular Sprint Reports on ISC, Calling All Devs, AMAs (Ask Me Anything Q&As), and more. In addition to our scheduled content such as the SQ42 Monthly Report, we’re also looking forward to providing regular video check-ins with Brian Chambers and a variety of members of the Squadron 42 team.

As always, we also want to hear your suggestions and feedback. Join in on the discussion on Spectrum here.

-CIG Community Team

They put out a 40-minute chat between devs instead:

Star Citizen: Calling All Devs - Squadron 42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPWc4hlyUu0

I don't know of any ETA currently.

PROTIP: "PU" means "persistent universe", i.e. Star Citizen.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Aug 2020 04:24

Fan-made trailer, don't miss it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBCCvbRTL4

If this doesn't end up being the game of the decade, it sure looks like the trailer of the decade to me, at least.

Added to Ultimate Trailer Ranking, debuting at number 2 for now. I would have put it straight at the top if not for the subpar middle stage where it shows way too much of merely decent FPS/TPS action instead of quickly illustrating it and moving on. The rest of the trailer is all incredible, but that middle segment brings it down. In any case, I will rewatch it many times, and the ranking will change. I might end up raising it to the top, or lowering it a bit. We'll see. This sort of judgement can't be rushed, and can change over time with repeated exposure. The higher the artwork, the longer it takes to appreciate. It took me years and a couple hundred hours of playtime to fully appreciate LiF, for example.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Cult Citizen